O-line Situation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Insideop, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

As of now, with the loss of Winston and Brisiel, our O-line depth chart, according to houstontexans.com, looks like this:

LT...Duane Brown........Derek Newton
    LG...Wade Smith.........Thomas Austin
    C....Chris Myers..........?
    RG...Antoine Caldwell...?
    RT...Rashad Butler........Derek Newton.....Andrew Gardner

No mention of Shelley Smith or Cody Wallace, though both are listed on the roster. My guess is the S. Smith will be the RG backup and Wallace will be the C backup, at least until training camp and depending on if we get someone in the Draft or FA.

The 1st question is, do the Texans stand pat with what they have or do they go after more in FA and the Draft? I don't see them getting anyone in FA due to the lack of :money: so the Draft will probably be the primary tool to get new O-linemen. The 2nd question then becomes, do the Texans believe they need to draft a starting Tackle or Guard or do they think they are good with what they have and will just Draft for depth and development?

Other factors that could play in to their decisions:
    1. Age. Wade Smith and Myers will be 31 and Butler will be 30 soon.
    2. Injuries. Butler and S. Smith were on IR all last year. Have they recovered?
    3. Continuity. Do you draft a starting OT or OG (high pick) and hope they are quick learners or do you go with Caldwell and Butler who have some experience with the system?

My gut tells me to draft a RT in the first couple of rounds and start him if he can beat out Butler and let Caldwell be the RG. But, I just don't know if that's what the Texans will do. I don't know what they really think of Butler, Caldwell, S. Smith, Newton etc... And, depending on what they think, will decide who and where they draft!

So, with all this, what say you?

2. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Shelley Smith will be the backup RG if we don't sign anyone else for that spot. He will likely be competing for that spot in training camp. Austin is also a backup center for us. 8 or 9 Olinemen sounds about right to start the season. The depth order may change in camp or due to injury, but that should be the target.

3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Did Studdard get cut?

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think they like Butler and Newton @ RT. Odd man out will be swing. Shelley will be backup RG, and backup C, I have no idear.

I think they will draft a tackle somewhere in the bottom 4 rounds of the draft. Also grab an interior lineman as undrafted FA.

5. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

ufa

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would spend a Rd. 1/3 pick on a OT.

Nobody knows if Butler can stay healthy. A ruptured triceps injury can be a reoccurring thing.

The way I see the Texans needs are WR/OT/CB. I hope they take BPA at a position of need.

A later rd guy that intrigues me is Donald Stepehenson. He test well at the combine and seems to be a great fit for the ZBS. He can play both OG/OT.

7. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

In a hypothetical situation where Butler is RT and Newton backup, if Brown goes down wouldn't they put Butler to LT and Newton at RT as he's proven there?

The draft will be telling, I don't think they can afford any established vet in FA, maybe they pick up someone they like at minimum, but if they pass on Oline till the later rounds, we will know they are confident in what they've been grooming the last few years.

I fully expect that whatever happens, they'll take a couple of Oline in the later rounds at the very least, they've long shown that they value plenty of depth on the line, and they will happily utilize practice squad and IR to hold on to projects.

8. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

I got to agree with ya there but I know one thing: no matter who we go after what we get it won't matter these Texans are different.

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I'd like them to take a look at Zebrie Sanders, I think he could start at RT day 1 and fill in for Brown if need be. Lucas Nix is a mid round OG who reminds me of Brisiel, all work, no talent and mean as hell lol...

10. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Is 35-year-old Todd Wade still in the league?

11. 281

281 Hall of Fame

lol... ugh.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Even if he was still only 25, don't think he'd be a candidate for the ZBS ? Big Todd was not known for his quicks.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm expecting a significant if not expensive move by June cuts. There may be another Myer's for a 6th out there. I think our OTs are set and OG is greater need, but on my mock I have us selecting one of each plus a combo.

14. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

The more I think about it, the more I think we should target an early round Offensive Tackle.

Clearly we don't know the situation with Butler at RT and his recovery, although I'm optemistic he can be servicable. Still, RT and OG are up in the air right now and an OT drafted early could help.

Duane Brown - love the pick more each game that's played. But his contract is up next season. I think we're all in agreement we need to extend him a new offer but, hypothetically, what happens if there's a needy team out there that offers him ridiculous contract that we simply can't afford. Highest paid LT in the league? It's possible. I guess we can use the Franchise Tag on him if needed, but with other guys like Schaub and Barwin... it limits what we could do with them.

Drafting a Tackle in the 1st 3 rounds seems like an idea I'm liking. We finally developed a great OL. Let's keep it up b/c OL is so dang important. A versatile Tackle that could be on the left or right could be great. Even if we want him to start Day 1, if he has do develop 8-16 games behind Butler so be it. We'd be in great shape next season.

TimeKiller likes this.
  15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Brown will be another Mario situation with at least two seasons of great play going into free agency. He too will get a once in a lifetime offer. And then there is Matt Schaub......:roast:

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

If you remember, Butler for the longest time was listed as an "elbow." Then all of a sudden......"ruptured triceps." A triceps tendonitis (which reflects small tears accompanied by inflammation) can and usually is a recurrent problem. The inflammation weakens the tendon progressively if not rested.........until, as in the case of an OT, it can succumb to the constant trauma of needing to forcefully "pushing" the D away............and rupture. Following the immediate surgical reattachment of the tendon to the bone as Butler underwent, with time for rest, and with proper rehab, Butler should be able to return with little or no decrease in effective range of motion, and possibly much stronger and overall more effective than he has been shown to be for quite a while back. Who knows how long he may have been dealing with this chronic problem before the triceps finally ruptured. And local steroid injections were likely utilized for the tendonitis/pain......this in itself would have further weakened the tendon and encourage the completed rupture. I'm very much looking forward to seeing his play a right tackle this year.

17. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

as per his twitter account yesterday:

Rashad Butler ‏ @RB2cool
    Last week of Rehab... THANK GOD!!!

18. NETxTexanFan

NETxTexanFan Rookie

The O-line was a known strength of the Texans and now it is an unknown. The front office is ignorant. The O-line is the most important part of any offense and not the skill positions. Without at least a good O-line the offense goes stagnant and the skill players are worthless. I can understand not signing Mario Williams but to let the best of the O-line leave was pure idiocy. What will the team have to give up to get the kind of O-lineman in the draft that can actually start and excel from day one? Now focusing on giving Andre Johnson some immediate relief is a moot possibility. The Texans will be lucky to finish with a 10-6 record again. I actually think the team will take a step back and finish 9-7. They will be lucky to win a playoff game. I just don't see the draft addressing losses in a way that will offset them. At least not in the short term.

19. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

anything on RT is a upgrade from winston so im not worried about it

Has far has RG ehh the only thing its got going for it is it will be injected with some youth with Cladwell and SHelly we got these guys to be the future of RG and well there time is now ......... hopefully the added youth on the right side will bring more 2nd and 3rd level blockin down field making our running game that much better

20. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

It's not that bad. The Texans FO would have to be brain dead not to sign Brown to a contract extension and Matt Schuab is not going to get a huge pay raise, he is already getting at least 8m per year. I have to believe that the FO is looking ahead and making tough decisions now so they can re-sign some or most of their 2013 UFA. It is much more likely that Antonio Smith will be gone after next year. This is why they traded Ryans.