O Line looking solid...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RED_ROOSTER, Aug 12, 2008.

1. RED_ROOSTER

RED_ROOSTER Veteran

Especially with Duane Brown and Eric Winston....then Kasey Studdard. The Texans gots some real protection power there, look for a much improved season with some rookie faults here and there but that O-Line looks great.

2. gary

gary Hall of Fame

It's too bad the running game is not as great.

3. NBT

NBT Veteran

Patience

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I've said this before the Texans have all the tools in place besides their running game.

5. RED_ROOSTER

RED_ROOSTER Veteran

everything will come together well...

6. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

The offensive line did a good job in pass protection against the Broncos.

Pass Blocking----A-
    Run Blocking-----D
    Final Grade------C

7. RED_ROOSTER

RED_ROOSTER Veteran

sounds about right...

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The run blocking will improve, to what degree I don't think we can predict, but I think it's safe to assume it will.

9. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Here is a link to an interview with Eric "Geico" Winston...

Winston interview

In other words...the Texans were running in situations that they would normally go to a pass.

I think there were a lot of lessons learned and we will see a lot of improvement in the run game as the pre season rolls on.

10. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

The O-line looked good in passing situations but, as everyone here has stated, they did poorly in the running game. However, that's not what concerns me the most. What concerns me more is the O-line depth issue with Salaam, Weary, and Jackson out. We can't afford to lose a starting lineman in any of the Preseason games or we could be in trouble come the start of the season.

If this running game is ever going to get moving they have to play together as a unit and try to build some continuity, especially with the ZB system. I just hope this year is not like the last 2 with O-linemen "dropping like flies." :ouch: It's tough to build that continuity when your linemen are constantly being put on IR! JMHO!

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Our run blocking wasnt great, but it wasnt that bad. There were some missed cuts by both Taylor and Slatton. Walker made fewer mistakes then the other two, but lacks speed to exploit the D.

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Salaam is coming back. Any idea about Jackson and Weary? I had read that Weary probably won't make the team regardless of his injury. Is this true?

13. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I would think Weary makes it if healthy, but it could be Studdard in that role, with Weary cut. You can't make the club from the tub.

I think everyone here pretty much nailed it. I believe strongly that this is now a GOOD pass blocking line. Take that ESPN and shove it where the sun don't shine.

We have a good ways to go in run blocking. I didn't see many holes the other night, but at times the back didn't seem to make the backside cut I was looking for either. In short, both the backs and line need to improve greatly.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chris Brown run Sat night. He has been a zbs runner since college, so he should be able to exploit the backside if the line can work it properly.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Lets see how Duane does against DeMarcus Ware a week from tomorrow night
    up in Irving before we bless the Oline as "looking solid" ? If he can hold his own in that matchup, not get embarrased against that guy, then I'm ready to
    say our OLine is looking solid.

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm expecting the fans to get really excited about Chris Brown because the line and his decisions will both be better than what we saw on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing Taylor again in the second and third quarters.

By the way, you guys need to watch Butler and Frye this Saturday. Many of you aren't going to understand why Salaam gets cut if you don't see these guys in action.

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Considering that it's a new system, with only partial ability to practice it, I think it's way too early to start forming opinions on the running game.

If you look at Atlanta's first preseason game in '04 (the year Gibbs installed his system there), you'll see they rushed 22 times for 57 yards (2.6 ypc). During the preseason, they only had a ypc average in excess of 4 yards in one game (game #2), and fell short of 3 yards per carry in two of the four games. They then proceeded to lead the league in rushing with almost 2,700 yards and a ypc average in excess of 5.

Does that mean much? Well, perhaps not - if for no other reason we don't have a QB/RB named Mike Vick. So don't misunderstand me - I am not predicting the Texans will lead the NFL in rushing in 2008. That would be nice, but so would lots of other things that aren't going to happen. My only point is that game #1 of a completely revamped system is no point for making judgements. Maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll suck, but I don't think you can make any accurate judgements from what we've seen so far.

17. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Do either Frye or Butler have any practice squad eligibilty left? I still think they would rather have a veteran backing up if he is healthy. I have the game on TIVO, I have been watching the Olympics so haven't seen it again. Line play is hard to watch while live. I did focus on Brown quite often, but need to watch these two. I know Butler in particular was praised for his play. I think he'll stick with Salaam, with Frye on the practice squad if I were a betting man.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Good point. both played well in the Denver game and they're versatile as Butler played both right and left tackle in that game and Frye also is capable of playing guard, though I don't think he did against Denver. But these guys are classic ZB lineman, as they are very athletic.
    Only thing is that their respective performances Saturday would have to be discounted some as they weren't playing front-line D talent, but rather Denver reserves.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Frye still has PS eligibility. FYI.

20. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I think if we cut Salaam we lose tons of experience on the OL. That's not good for a young OL trying to learn a tough scheme. We need to keep Salaam on the 53 for no other reason than what he brings to the table off the field that will help the starting 5 on the field.