O - Line and Mario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by fastpitchwoof, Aug 12, 2006.

1. fastpitchwoof

fastpitchwoof Rookie

I won't get to see the game until tomorrow on NFL Network. I live in Cowboy country.

How did the O-Line look in pass protection?? I see by the stats that Carr ran a lot. Were these scramble runs because the protection broke down or what?

How did Mario look??

2. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

No sacks allowed by any of our lines. Plenty of rollouts.

MW was doubled all quarter *He only played a quarter*

3. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Rollouts. Actually, the Chiefs secondary seemed to be doing a good job of covering receivers.

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

They were planned rollouts. Carr was not even remotely threatened when he was in there but he did manage to get a little jittery without even being hit so while we didn't have to watch the impacts we got the same general effect.

I think it was Carr trying too hard but that's just my first impression.

5. DefLord

DefLord Rookie

Honestly the O-Line has NEVER looked better... I was very impressed even with some of them where the QB were sitting in the pocket they had time to pass.. I think they looked great..

As for MW - yes he's only a Rookie and they are already treating him like a 2 headed monster coming their way... They had him doubled every time..

6. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

Honestly, if other teams spend so much attention that we can get five sacks a game from the other DLs and LBs then he has done his job.

7. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Rookie

I just rewound every play on defense for the first quarter just to examine Mario. He had a great push on every single play. There was one play with about 47 seconds left in the first quarter that he ragdolled their LT. From what I could see his problem may end up being that he can get upfield so fast that the plays might get past him as he's going. He WILL put up some good numbers this year but I'm really really impressed with Spencer. That man is a wall in the running game!

Luv_ya_blue likes this.
  8. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Rookie

To me he looked just like they said he would. He took up the extra blockers and made a good push. Trust me, I have Tivo and I slo-moed the plays. I was plain surprized that they moved him around so much. He followed the TE and came in on 3rd and long as a DT. With a whole four quarters this man will knock down some QBs.

9. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

bootlegs with a mile of open space. Home, Home on the Range. I thought the pass protection was good. There was some great coverage. L. Sanders had a great deflection on a potential long ball....ended up being a drive killer I think.

Run coverage was porous. The oline was beating our dline creating holes. It's early so it's probably going to get fixed quickly.

10. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

I agree with that, Carr needs to settle down. I expect Kubes will give him one or two things to think about....:dangit:

11. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

exactly!

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think it was just first game jitters under Kubiak's new scheme. At least I hope it was. Carr didn't look bad though. But he didn't look good either. He was average, but he did gain yards by running the ball. That's a plus.

13. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Let me say this about Mario...................

He did a turn good job tonight, he stayed in his rush lanes, stayed at home with his outside arm free forcing the ball back inside to the LB and DTs.
    Played with good pad level and looked like he fit right in.

It IS VERY HARD to get sacks when a team dominates the run like the Chiefs so just cause he did not have any sacks says nothing, I garuntee if the guy had all game he would have got him self maybe a couple of sacks.

He did good, he did his job.

14. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Wand held his own tonight and did a pretty good job. The coaching makes a big difference. The only thing that bothered me is that sometimes he gave up to much room. Spencer was very impressive and very BIG. That guy has to be the heaviest player on the team and is a human Wall. He's diffently going to be pushing for the starting postion if Wand doesn't continue to improve, but it wa clear to see the improvement of the entire O-line with Sherman coaching it now. One more thing. Weary was dominating tonight and McKinney should be very worried about loosing his starting role. Winston did a fine job as well, so the same can be said of Weigert. I was very impressed!

15. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Thats what I saw as well, he gives up too much room sometimes.

Like on the 3rd and 7 in the second series were Carr hit Moulds on the crossing route, David almost got sacked, Wand was pushed back all the way to Carr.....................?

16. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I just got back from the game and I really liked what I saw. In the first quarter they ran at Mario and he was creating havoc. L.J. had to turn inside and was taken down by Demeco. I didn't like the fact that they moved him around so much, because I couldn't really focus on him, but he did get great push into the line I also saw one play where had he not been cut block he would have gotten the QB. The o-line was totally unrecognizeable, when they ran bootlegs it was like that side of the field was almost bare. I'm really pumped about the upcoming season.

GO TEXANS!!!!

17. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

That is something I think Sherman will se as well if we can. As long as wand continues to get better throughout the season then I'm happy. Sheramn, so far, has done a great job with the entire O-line and has done something here that I thought wasn't possible at all possible. Keep up the great work Sherman!

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Did anyone see TJ in the stadium? Did he hold up his own on the bench?

19. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

T. Johnson did a pretty good jod but i can't really gage that against the level of competion he was facing in the 2nd string level.

20. TFL

TFL Veteran

I was just watchin sportscenter and they showed about 5 plays of Mario Williams and he did not look good at all except when he made Kyle Turly jump. Now did they just show 5 bad plays and did not show any good plays that he made? Just wondering.