NYTimes - "Welcome to the N.F.L.’s Luxury Camp in the Mountains"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IDEXAN, Aug 12, 2017.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. — Just up a ridge from the horse stables, down a twisting road from the gun club and across a two-lane highway from a parking lot containing spaces for sporting luminaries like Jerry West and Pete Sampras, the Houston Texans practiced football.

Their two-and-a-half-hour session last week began around 9:45 a.m., which precluded the players from partaking in activities available during that window to the Greenbrier resort’s other guests: an 80-minute Segway tour of the grounds, the Body Sculpt fitness class, a culinary demonstration featuring crab salad and a Jeep off-road adventure.

“I don’t know what that is,” linebacker Shakeel Rashad said, “but it sounds amazing.”

For roughly 14 hours each day, the Texans resemble every other N.F.L. team preparing for the season. They study film and compete for roster spots, lift weights and meet with coaches. But then their walk-through concludes at 8 p.m., and they are free to unwind not by playing video games on personal consoles but in an arcade — housed in an eight-lane bowling alley.

A few days later, the rookie offensive lineman Julién Davenport got lost returning to his room. He took the wrong elevator and needed a map to reorient himself. For the rookie running back Dare Ogunbowale, a rumor he heard that bears lurked in the trails near the practice fields almost paled next to another discovery he made.
    “There’s a bidet in my bathroom,” Ogunbowale said. “I’d never seen one in person.”
    &&&&&&&&&&&
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/sports/football/houston-texans-training-camp-greenbrier.html
    &&&&&&&&&&&

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    TLDR

Usually a small quote (maybe the headline and a small quote) typically work much better

This is a fluff piece with really no info...

Not thread worthy imo...

Sorry bro

I

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Hey bro yourself, you remind of somebody else on this board who also likes to lecture about grammar and punctuation marks. Maybe you two are related ?
    Anyway the Texans usually don't get this much ink by a national publication, so I suspect one Bob McNair is pretty happy with the Times article.

JB likes this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

yeah was more talking about the length... it's painful trying to read so much on a MB in one post

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Well most of the fellas don't have a sub to the Times so I copied and pasted the whole thing.
    Oh and listen JB my condolences, I'm sorry you found it so challenging to read.
    Anyway I thought the article was pretty entertaining and informative.

JB likes this.
  6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

:lol:

sorry, just got off work and wasn't interested much in reading drool even if it pertained to Texans

7. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Quit complaining you old curmudgeon.

Nobody appreciates an old grouch..oh..wait..what?

:coffee:

JB likes this.
  8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

"Heat builds character" is what my old D Line coach in high school would say while he would make us hold that jab step "fire off the ball low stance" for 5 minutes at a time.

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I don’t think we’re allowed to quote entire articles much less paid for articles. Some legal thing or another; that’s why you’ll see snippets and the link. Just saying...not trying to get the board shut down.

JB likes this.
  10. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Honestly, I hope they can make this a permanent camp home if for nothing else the people whose heads explode, particularly media, bitching about why they can't train in Houston.

PapaL likes this.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think the section where Smith discusses the rational behind the move is worthy. Let's see if it pays off when it counts.

But, we shouldn't post entire articles in the forum. Just cut and paste a section that you thinks is most pertinent, and the reader will decide to hit the link to read the entire piece.

JB likes this.
  12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I hope they make permanent for the very same reason. Those poor babies at the Chronicle can suck it.