[NY Daily News] This is a Must Win for Sanchez

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by djohn2oo8, Sep 10, 2009.

1. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

Opening Day. New coach. A rookie quarterback. On the road. A must-win.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...9-09-10_mark_sanchez_debut.html#ixzz0QczZ3GFj

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I'm telling you. This game is not going to be a cakewalk. I think that kid is going to put a good game together and I'm sure the league is getting a semi for him.

We better not be overlooking this team and buying into the media hype that we a potential playoff team.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

At least Sanchez isn't whipping out the quote of all quotes. "I don't think this is a must win game, but I do think it's a must play well game". - paraphrasing DC

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

It should be a good game and could tell a lot about both teams.

With our historic slow starts of seasons, this is perhaps a "must win" game for us to get a positive start as we head to Tennessee.

5. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

This game is reminiscent of the KC opener in 2007 to me. KC was coming off a 9-7 playoff campaign and we were 1 season removed from a 2 win season. Everyone was cautiously optimistic and we turned around and stomped the Chiefs.

I get the same vibe with this game; this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.

6. Vinny

pssst...The Jets had a better record than us last season and they managed to score more points than they gave up, unlike a team you are preeeetty familiar with who gave up more points than we scored.

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Just like the 2006 Kansas City Chiefs that his post references.

8. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Screw this being a must win Jets game. I'm not going to say this is a must win game, but I hope the staff is emphasizing that it's an important game to win to start the season strong.

Jets defense under Ryan should be improved but, they'll be missing two pass rushers. We need to take advantage of that in not only the passing game but the rushing game as well.

Defensively, this is game where we should be able to get some pressure on Sanchez and I'll be pissed if we let Sanchez look like a 10 year pro out there like we have let first time starters look before.

Good news is that the Jets don't have a dominate WR corps so hopefully we'll be able to hold their passing game in relative check.

We do need to come laying the wood but, at the same time keep solid on your tackles, wrap up.

9. nero THE zero

They also have a new coach, a rookie QB, and a new defensive scheme; the latter two of which are notoriously slow starters in a season; and are playing against a team that has lost a whopping one game against non-divisional opponents over the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that talk of a possible loss is entirely without merit, but I think it's being overblown in the name of caution.

10. Vinny

The Chiefs were on their way down though...I don't think you can say the same for the Jets....or at least (imo), I can't.

11. Vinny

The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells (Dolphins) and the Falcons did what they did in one year? I'm just saying that I don't see where we are so superior to the Jets that we can just state how much better we are than them.

12. nero THE zero

As if "getting it right" is the same thing as winning the first game of the season on the road against a team who is also "on the way up."

I'm not making any assertions as to how Rex Ryan and the Jets will do on the season, I'm merely saying that all the caution being thrown around here is overzealous, IMO. Also, you'll notice that the "latter two" I was refering to didn't include the coaching change that you're trying to argue.

Given our history at home under Kubiak, and all the fresh changes for the Jets, I don't think this game is such a cause for worry.

13. Spike

Spike Veteran

I wish I got the same vibe. The pre-season revealed a bad trend that we saw during the tough stretches last year - the team just appears to come out of the gates slow, unmotivated and unprepared. The defense settled down in the Vikes game, but there is no excuse to come out and get slashed on the first play of the game.

I have no idea what to expect. I hope that we come out looking strong and have a series or two to build some confidence. I hope that Dunta and Cushing, despite missing all pre-season, make the defense look better. I hope that the players were in "pre-season" mode and play this game with focus and determination from start to finish. I hope that Kubes has this team ready to play from the first snap.

I hope...but if the pre-season is any indication, we could be in trouble.

BTW - In my mind, this is a "must win" game for the Texans. This organization needs to start this year off with a W...especially at home.

14. Vinny

Getting it right means getting into the playoffs before you coach a team half a decade.

Texan_Bill likes this.
  15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, I think we are going to "get it right" just under the wire!

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

If every game is a must win game, this guy is going to be disappointed. I think he forgets he's not in college anymore. Not too many undefeated nfl teams

17. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

If Ryan throws at us the same style defense as the Ravens did last year, we'll be in for a very long afternoon. Texans have to bring their "A" game this Sunday. This game is absolutely no cakewalk whatsoever.

18. nero THE zero

OK, well that's not relevant to anything I've argued.

But, here's to hoping we "get it right."

19. Vinny

This is all I was really touching on...
    I'm just wondering why this game should be a blow out win for us when this is a team that won 10 games two years ago and 9 games last season. We've never done either and they actually scored more points than they gave up last year, unlike us.

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

how dare you bring up things like facts and trends. aren't you aware that Kubiak is from Houston?

as for the OT - Sanchez is right to say what he is saying. In this league, every win is a must win. You have to get off to a good start and you gotta keep your eyes on the prize. Its a cliche but its the truth. He just probably doesn't need to tell the media that. It puts too much on one game, could be used as locker room material, and doesn't server any team-oriented purpose.

One thing is for sure, if Sanchez comes in and drives the ball down the field against Bush' defense, I will have a sick taste in my mouth.