Numbers rarely lie: Barnwell's early assessment of next season

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IlliniJen, May 30, 2014.

1. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

From Grantland:

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-stats-predicting-success/

He has some good things to say about our chances next season, and some other stat assessment for various teams.

thunderkyss and michaelm like this.
  2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Thanks for posting

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Actually more to unpack than I originally thought but really the key stats from last year were the overall negative turnover rate and the lack of turnovers the defense generated. the team could fix a lot of the first issue by just doing better in getting the ball away from other teams.

Nitrofish likes this.
  4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

At the risk of sidetracking this discussion, there's a link on that page that completely steals the show. Arian Foster goes after cat people and wants to free the cats. Best thing I've read all week.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/arian-foster-wants-to-free-the-cats/

5. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Great article! Thanks for posting.

I know a lot of outsiders are saying the Texans are primed for a "Chiefs like rebound," or, like this article suggests, a 7-9 or 8-8 season, but I believe a lot has to go right in order for that to happen.

The first thing is, minimal injuries and no injuries to key players (Cushing anyone?). This team just doesn't have the depth anymore after 3 years of losses in FA and mediocre drafts. I don't think they could sustain a rash of injuries and win more than 5 games.

Secondly, the Rookies and FA pickups, especially the starters, will have to play lights out. The way it looks now there will probably be anywhere from 3 to 6 Rookie starters when this team starts the regular season (Clowney, Su'a-Filo, Nix, Fiedorowicz, Savage, and Prosch). I don't expect Savage or Prosch to start, but you never know what can happen.

Third, the ball has to bounce their way. Like the article stated, the Texans were one of the unluckiest teams last year, and after watching those games I can certainly attest to that fact! They can't have that kind of year again and win more than a handful of games.

So, here's to a healthy/great playing/lucky year for the Texans and a return to the playoffs! :texflag:

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am optimistic that Sua'fila and Nix will better as rookies as should Clowney. We should have better QB, both lines and LBs. Fiedo could be better and Prosch should also and I think we will see more plays with a FB leading.

7. Lord Bills

Lord Bills Destruction

barnwell is the most boring writer in grantland.

i tried reading his articles but i just can never finish it due to all the tripe and trivial numbers and statistics he stuffs in his articles.

it feels like you're reading a math book.

no thanks.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

fify

Nitrofish likes this.
  9. Lord Bills

Lord Bills Destruction

why are you such a bully?

i mean, what kind of moderator are you? this type of behavior should not come from moderators.

If you're gonna talk trash to me, at least allow me the same courtesy without fear of reprimand along with your perpetual and ubiquitous neg reps.

i dont have a problem with anybody talking trash to me. just allow to talk back without consequence. it seems everybody does it to me but as soon as i talk back im reprimanded.

fify.

10. infantrycak

Your neg reps have mainly come from refusing to follow forum rules repeatedly.

You have not been reprimanded for talking back so long as you stay within the rules. Making crap up isn't going to help your case.

Stop behaving like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum in your romper room and you'll be fine.

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Kinda surprised the Bears topped us in defensive points allowed. That was a tall order in 2013. [IMGwidthsize=30]http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/toropalm.gif[/IMG]

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

And mixing coverages instead of playing man coverage very play will certainly help the secondary with those turnover opportunities. As predictable as the Kubiak offense could be, it was Wade's defense that was insufferably predictable.

Nitrofish likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Record in One-Touchdown Games

14. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Only reason this team may reach .500 or more is the soft schedule. Match them up against upper echelon squads and they will get stomped out.

Still a year or two away. Or better stated still a QB away from being a legitimate threat.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't like the way they worded that.

defensive points allowed would be how many points our defense gave up right?

The stat grantland is saying they were worse than we were, was TO Points allowed. Which I think describes the stat better. Points on turnovers, or something like that.

16. infantrycak

This indicates otherwise:

17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

So what happened last year will directly influence this upcoming year? Cool, I'll anxiously wait for more blown leads.

New coach. New QB(s) . New system. Same results.

Question marks surrounding: OL, secondary, RB, WR, etc... etc...

Like I said they will take advantage of a soft schedule, but a crap sandwich is still not very appetizing, even for someone who is starving.

"If you have 2-3 QBs, then you don't have 1"

And as much as the defense MIGHT improve I don't see the 01 Ravens that will win games 10-9.

1 or 2 more drafts.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Matters not to me. I'll take a .500 season over a losing season any way I can get it.

Good thing we have a soft schedule in 2014.

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Don't let some of the draftniks hear you, they'd rather have sucky season and have the #1 pick than finish at .500.

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

& those same guys will be griping about not being able to beat Cleveland, Buffalo, & Jacksonville.