Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nuk 15th in DYAR

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Football outsiders have DeAndre Hopkins in good company.

The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.

Wide receivers are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage.

They've got Andre at 48

We are 0 and 2 without Andre this year. Without DeAndre we are 1 and 1. So by my stats Andre is still more important.

The definition says Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement...

Now that - in simple, straight-forward terms - ought to mean, how much more production will you get from this guy over the next guy on the depth chart...

The next guy behind Hopkins is LeStar Jean. Jean has nary a catch so far this season. How can they make a comparison.

The next guy behind A.J. at least has two catches for 37 yds. So if they're comparing AJ's YPC average to K-Mart's 18.5 YPC average then the ranking sort of makes sense.

Easy to seem a lot better than the next guy up when that guy behind you has no stats.

If this isn't the way to interpret this information - I hesitate to call it data - please explain it to me.

Back