Now to the Browns

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Imatexanfan, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

...are you pulling for a win? Want vengence for the loss two years ago that seems to have started this franchise circling down the toilet bowl? I mean, things were going along swimmingly until that game. The franchise was showing incremental progress in the win column each year...a win that day would have put us at 8-8 that year and supposedly in position for a playoff run in year four.

We all know how that worked out. :shades:

If you believe John McClain, Dom Capers panicked after the Browns mauled our offensive line and kept David Carr face down in the grass and our running game bottled up all day. According to McClain, Capers ordered the change in the offense that sent everything going backward - the quick one and two step drops and unloading the ball. In other words, the East-West passing game we have all come to know and love so much. Chris Palmer hated and vigorously fought the change. He advocated getting better linemen instead of comprimising by making these changes to the offense - the passing game in particular.

:secret: Well as we all know..........he lost.

As a result, he was given an offensive gameplan to coach that he had never coached before and didn't believe in. Carr was put in an offense he had never played in. Result: The Buffalo debacle to open the following season and Palmer being made the scapegoat soon after. Now, five years into this franchise's existence 8-8 seems like a lofty goal to be achieved; we have basically started all over.

So...do we take out our frustrations on the Browns, or do we hope to keep as good of draft position as we can? :hmmm:
    For me, it was no question for the Colts - I've dreamed about the day we beat them. It was a benchmark win for the franchise. The Browns not so much.

But I'm all for it ITS REVENGE!!! We'll beat them anyways.

2. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

Look, you go for the win, thats plain and simple. Going for draft positions is for losers. :shades:

Although I was kind of happy that we had the #1 pick last year so we could draft VY and/or RB, buts thats another story thats going to always be brought up.

3. Minotaur

Minotaur Rookie

Dom Capers is doing a good job in Miami

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Um....yeah? :um:

The Texans beat the Browns last year so I don't think vengeance is the issue. Assuring that an encore of '04 doesn't happen should be first and foremost. A two TD win would be nice for a change.

5. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Yeah, why would we not want a win, and as for vengence with the Browns....what?? What would a game that happend in the 3rd year have to do with anything now.

6. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

There is a huge difference between playing for draft position when you will be drafting #1 than if you will be drafting somewhere in the middle of the round. You are guaranteed to get someone at #1, you are not guaranteed to get a particular player if you are drafting anywhere else (especially if the Lions are picking ahead of you).

Therefore there is no reason to play for draft position because for all you know you can get the guy you want at your position or have no chance to get him even if you lose out. And with a team that has as many needs as ours, we will be getting an impact player at a position of need regardless of where we pick.

Texans Horror likes this.
  7. Big J

Big J Rookie

If we can win the last 2 games of this season it will be a huge boost. Yea that sounds like crap but who are we kidding...winning 2 games in a row for the Texans is a huge feat. Then we get a pick in the 8-10 spot and finally address our need at safety at a good value.

8. ronaldod1

ronaldod1 Rookie

In all honesty I think this game against the Browns is huge. I think the win against a team as good as the colts (who had something to play for and had just blasted Cinci) is a big step towards that winning attitude.

Beat up on the struggling browns at home...and houston is buzzing all offseason about how the team has turned the corner and the offseason will be highly motivated towards taking the Texans to the next level.

Lose to the browns and the team is back to square one, all momentum is lost.

9. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Lose to the browns and the team is back to square one, all momentum is lost.

I don't see it being back to square one...Sure, it will leave a bad taste in everyones mouth, but 1 game does not a season make or break. Would be a nice way to end the season, winning 6 games after last years complete meltdown would be great. There is way too many questions to address and such for next season to worry if the Cleveland game is the game that can turn the corner for the Texans.
    And as for momentum, being the last game, it won't matter much. It helps some, but as I said, it's not going to send them back to square one.

Would be nice for the Texans to win back to back games for the first time this season and to split the home games with victories.

10. kenneth24

kenneth24 Veteran

Win Baby Win! A good draft position can improve your team but you know what really improves your team? WINNING! Winning builds confidence and confidence leads to more wins! at the beginning of the year, just about everyone would consider this year an improvement if we won 6 and we actually have a chance to do that! Go Texans!:yahoo:

11. DNCC

DNCC Rookie

At this point, I'm very excited about beating the Browns for a 6th win, and taking a 2 game winning streak into the postseason.

12. ronaldod1

ronaldod1 Rookie

The Texans have been riding the "any given Sunday" wave throughout their existence. Most weeks they are expected to lose. Expected to lose by the "experts", the fans, the other teams and, a lot of times, themselves. When they beat someone, the water cooler discussion goes like this: "Texans beat (colts, jags, steelers, panthers etc.)....(laugh) any given sunday I guess"......and the next week they go out and lose.

The win against an elite team provides a unique opportunity for the texans to prove to themselves that they are not a doormat team. If they go out and beat a team that they should beat (browns) the colts game becomes a "turning point" all offseason and going into next season. If they lose to the browns the colts game is just another incident of "any given sunday"

That is what i mean by momentum. After every win someone comes on here any says: "did this team just turn the corner" and the next week they go out and suck. This was a huge hurdle for them and if they go out and suck next week they have all offseason to wonder whether or not the got lucky in the colts game. which they did not.

kenneth24 and Hervoyel like this.
  13. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I've just finished a pretty detailed analysis of Strength of Schedule and here's the conclusion:

If Texans lose to the Browns, we're looking at a 50-60% chance of pick #4, a 30-40% chance of pick #5 and a sliver of a shot (<5%) at pick #3.

If the Texans beat the Browns, we're looking at a 35-45% chance of pick #7, a 20-30% chance of pick #8, a 10-20% chance of pick #6 and <10% of pick #9.

There's not a huge difference between #4 and #8 in this draft class. Quinn, Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas and highly likely to be the top 3. Most folks think the next players off the board will be Gaines Adams, Alan Branch, Adrian Peterson and Leon Hall. Slide much further down and there's a big drop off. #7 or #8 should work out just fine, since we could use ANY of those four players.

Kaiser Toro and Texans Horror like this.
  14. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

I don't like tanking. Hell, I don't think we can handle the responsibility of a top-3 draft pick anyway, but even if we could, tanking is just no good. It feels good to win, so let's win.

Just as a side note, Ken Dorsey is going to be starting for the Browns next week.

15. This could be it for Carr. Normally I am uninterested in what the Texans have to play for at this time of year, but a win here could be huge for Carr and his status with the team if he has a good day. If not, this could be his last game in a Texans uniform. I am more impressed however with the defense and some of the play calling that has been happening over the last few games. they are disguising their blitzes really well and seem to be getting added pressure to the QB. It was about time the defense stepped it up a bit when we played the Colts. I hope this trend continues. I'd be happy with new safeties and a cornerback if that is all were were able to get in the offseason.

16. afcman

afcman Veteran

WIN!!! Always.

17. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

What happened to that Frye guy?!:shades:

Wow this game will be won after all by the Texans, not that if their other QB was starting that we'd lose but you know it'd be a good game.

Now its up to Carr....................whatcha got man?!:tease:

18. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I don't look forward to months of draft speculation and months of looking forward to the season while baseball infects the airwaves soon after. As much as you may have been dissapointed, you have to admit the offseason stinks. I can't stand not seeing the Texans for months...so let's make this game special.

19. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

We need to go out and put a spanking on the Browns......We need for some of these guys to get a taste of winning in their mouths and ending the season on a high note will help us in the long run.

I would love for us to dominate a game other than a Jags game.

20. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

Wow...great post Sarg! I was wondering how the math was looking. Since Thomas will almost certainly be gone by the time we pick in the #4-#9 range, I will be happy with either RB/Peterson, FS/LaRon Landry, or DT/Branch.

IMO, it would be huge if we could FA help for the defense via CB/Samuel and OLB/Briggs and then FS/Landry followed by OL help OT/Long and OG/C Satele so I am leaning more towards hoping we go "D" again with the first pick and the OL with the next two.