Now that we're done with the biggest game in Texans history

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HuttoKarl, Oct 21, 2010.

1. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

and rallied out a win vs. the Chiefs, I'm really glad the bye is upon us...gives us all a week to decompress and hopefully gives our defense a chance to figure out what's behind all of their suction. Heal up, Texans...the biggest game in the history of the franchise awaits us in week 8.

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think our upcoming contest with the bye week could qualify as the next "biggest game in Texans history". If the bye hangs another 400 yards of offense on us we're probably sunk.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Personally, I think the games this season against the Ravens and Jets are going to be the true indicator of where we are as a team.

:cutthroat:

4. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Agreed.

Everyone talks about how the rest of the AFC South is built to beat the Colts. Lately I've been thinking that while we may focus on beating the Colts, we've managed to build a team that doesn't match up very well with smash mouth teams.

Sadly, those smash mouth blitz happy teams like the Ravens, Steelers, and Jets seem to be the strongest ones in the AFC.

I guess where I'm going with this rambling tirade is that even if we get past the Colts in the AFC South, I don't think we'd get deep into the playoffs because we're going to run into a team with a good enough offense to score on us (hard to believe, I know) and a defense that treats us like the Giants did. Our O can't score enough and our D can't get off the field. D gets worn out, opponent outscores us by a wide margin.

So, yeah. Those games will be a great barometer to see A) how we stack up against those "elite" teams and B) IMO a sneak preview of how we might fare in the playoffs.

5. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Patience, child....they'll have their opportunity to be the biggest game in franchise history when they get here.

6. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

We are the Colts, with a running game. If our defense can at least get two stops on those offenses, I think our offense can still score against the Ravens, Jets, and Steelers. I'm not too confident in them, but I think they can do it. Especially the Ravens since it's on MNF. The Texans always show up on national TV.

drs23 likes this.
  7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Minus a Peyton and any semblance of a defense

The Colts could never stop the run, but they put up so many points they were never behind and other teams had to pass. They have always had excellent pass rushers which got stops when they need them

8. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

You are more confident than I am.

I guess I'm like a dog that has been beaten too much. I see that newspaper get rolled up and I cringe. Only that newspaper is a physical 3-4 D.

False Start likes this.

9. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

fixed that for you.

10. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

Just like last MNF against the Titans right?

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

The biggest game in Texans history will be the one that seals our trip to the playoffs. We haven't had that one yet.

Kubiak and Co. decided to stay in house for their solution on defense. I just hope with the next week they put their heads together and figure out a solution or just commit themselves to having the offense score much as possible and hope the defense gets a few key stops.

12. GuerillaBlack

Blame Kris Brown.

13. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I feel this should be our game plan EVERY week. Pile on the points. This is essintially the same defense we had last year. Pollard from opening kickoff this year and KJ in lieu of Doonta with Cush filled in for the first 4 games. They played lights out ball after the first 4 weeks. They're 2 weeks behind right now. What's the difference? Many have pointed out technique and disipline. Are these the main 2 factors? Can it be put back on track to get to where we were last season over the bye or is it run up the score and hope for the occasional stop??

Honest questions, not :stirpot:

14. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I find it interesting that the Jags and Titans have tried to surpass the Colts with hard-nosed defense (not that that plan has always worked) and a good running game, whereas it seems as though we decided to be more like the Colts with a strong passing attack and versatile RBs.

Our defense is on pace to be just as bad as the Colts defense used to be, the only difference is we're not getting ahead of people as fast, and we don't have assassins in Mathis and Freeney.

15. GuerillaBlack

Would have been much better if we went with a hard-nosed defense, but still designed our offense the way it is. I think they tried a little to get that with the defense, but it hasn't worked out.

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

qft

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

If I had to point to one thing I'd say the biggest difference is likely trusting our corners to play man. As a result we play a lot of zone and give cushions outside.

I hope having Cushing back and getting more reps can only help. Biggest decision over the bye is going to be who are our starting line backers not named Brian Cushing.

At this point I'm looking at the later of the two suggestions, which is bothersome because as evidenced twice is season when our offense gets shut down there's nothing we can really do and it ends in a blowout.

That philosophy also usually ends in a 8-8 or 9-7 season and no playoffs. Think the year before last new Orleans saints. I think that's who we resemble the most at the moment.

18. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

your sig, is it implying that matt schaub has ties to the illuminati?

19. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

:facepalm: PD!

20. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Why else would he be allowed to be the top passer last season?