now that we have flanagan...(no need to draft a center?)

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Mightymike, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Mightymike

Mightymike Veteran

we don't draft a center and leave flanagan to groom hodgon for future?
    helps our draft out alot, not to mention the team

2. el toro

el toro All Pro

They could still draft a lineman prospect at #33.

3. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

Some scouts have Winston projecting to be a RT. A possibility at 33.

4. Mightymike

Mightymike Veteran

hopefully not mangold at #33 or eslinger in the 4th

5. texman8

texman8 Veteran

Yeah, maybe This gives Texans more flexiblity....They could go after CB,FS,DE,or WR with 2nd round. Even better if we can get some extra picks.

6. el toro

el toro All Pro

This signing provides even more reason to take Bush at #1.

7. big homey

big homey Veteran

Too true, and also we may not have to go O-line in the second. We just go with the best available need player, and look for Jonathan Scott or Daryn Colledge to fall.

8. Mightymike

Mightymike Veteran

yea take winston if he's there, but if not we should take scott if he falls to round 3

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Eric Winston will be the best available player in the 2nd imo if he falls

10. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

what are the most pressing needs left?

my thoughts: assuming we already have reggie bush

1. CB
    2. WR
    3. MLB (if wong is not in this spot)
    4. RT
    5. safeties for depth

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

have to consider the bpa with the 2nd pick between CB, WR, MLB, RT & Safeties as you accurately noted. with the signing of a Center, TE, WR, FB & QB it almost has to be defense, especially with Bush beign the consensous #1 pick.

CB Johnathan Joseph looks to be gone as does Eric Winston by the second rd. WR Sinorice Moss is a possibility, but defensively the Texans could use another pass rushing DE Kiwanuka if he falls, or ILB to fill the open MLB position like Abdul Hodge. there are still some attractive free agents on the market & they may still influence the direction the Texans will take...
    IMO

12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

we still need an OT because wade isnt likely to do well especially with the new scheme (and i think he's better than weigert at the position). we'd need someone to start LT and move pitts to the right, or someone to come straight into the RT job. the 33rd's more of a guessing game because there's no telling who's going to fall. if a LB like carpenter falls i think we've gotta go that route, but i'm positive that we'll take a linemen on the first day.

13. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

If Joseph is gone do you think Cedric Griffen deserves a look?

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Cedric Griffen is a 3rd round pick for us. Maybe if we had a late second rounder.. but #33 is too high for him.

If I was gonna pick up a CB in the second, it would be either Youboty, or Marshall (who I wanted in the 3rd, but has been flying up draft boards)

Another Possibility if he falls is Donte Whitner... who could fill our need at FS. I was a big Ko Simpson supporter..but his wonderlic turned me off to him. FS is a thinking man's position.

Id REALLY like to see us address the secondary in the 2nd round. We need a strong secondary in our division, and we saw how great Robinson was when he had help from his FS and #2 CB. We have the SS position locked down, thankfully.

Anyway, if we didnt address the secondary, other possibilities are MLB Abdul Hodge, Sinorice Moss, Nick Mangold, Eric Winston, and Davin Joseph. Other than those 5.. I cant think of anyone else id be REALLY interested, outside of the DBs I mentioned.

15. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

I think our two biggest sore spots right now are WR and RT.

After that, CB, FS, and RG.

Of course, I'd rather get a proven WR right now, rather than waste a second round draft pick on a draft that's weak at the receiver, and try and force a rookie into the #2 receiving spot on our team.

But if we don't get a WR in FA, we MUST get a RT or WR with our second pick.

16. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I dont see RT as a sore spot. Wade Wand and Wiegert are all possible RTs. It would be nice to get a young tackle to groom.. and wouldnt MIND getting Winston in the 2nd, but we could address the problem with Colledge or Setterstrom in the 3rd. We arent gonna implode if we dont have a new RT next season.

As far as WR goes.. I see the need to get a legitimate #2..but do not see it as a game breaking need. I think we could make do with what we have if it was necessary. We may not have the greatest WR corp in the league, but it would be good enough to win games. Again, i wouldnt mind getting Moss, but we arent going to implode.

Looking at the team, I see holes at 2 positions. MLB and FS. These are the two places where we dont really have a sure starter. CB isnt necessarily a hole..but it is a weak spot for us. So if I was listing our needs..it would probably go like this.

1. FS
    2. MLB
    3. CB
    4. WR
    5. RT

For that reason.. im hoping for Donte Whitner, Richard Marshall, Ashton Youboty, or Abdul Hodge with the #33 pick. FS/CB are positions that are better addressed in the first 2 rounds. Olinemen can be addressed in the 3rd and later. WR is also a position that is best addressed in the first two rounds, imo....at least if you want a starter...but we dont have enough picks to address everything :)..I honestly think we will be ok next season with our current WRs.

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I still want to take a lineman at #33 and finish shoring up this line.

18. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I'm with you. David & Reggie will need some blockers.

19. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Dont mean to sound like a nay sayer, but do you have a link to the signing?

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

I would still look for them to address the o-line with the 2nd round pick. We took care of our needs in the middle of the line by signing Mckinney to play guard, and Flanagan to center. Our TE problem looks less chaotic with the Putzier signing, and our DE need was filled by Weaver.

We still need a tackle, safety, or WR.

I think you have to go tackle with so many grade 1's this year. I dont know how you can pass on Scott. He will be a LT for some team for a long time. And I dont see as much support on this board as I would like.