Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Now or never? (old thread alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the Texans are still in a growth phase, but if we don't see some offensive improvement this year do you guys foresee changes being made? Carr's entering his third season, and although young, he now has established threats at wide out and running back. The offensive line has yet again been improved, which should reap rewards for everyone. All indications are that the Texans should develop atleast into an offense that can consistently produce some points.

What I'm trying to say is if our gameplan remains the same and we continue to struggle, is it time to re-evaluate Palmer and his offense? I haven't been one of his critics the past two seasons, but he's been handed a very capable set of young players this year, and barring freak injuries I want to see some real production out of them. No more of this playing to not lose when we have a two touch down lead.

The Texans have shown through the draft and FA signings that they want to win now. We are a franchise that is finally pumping on all cylinders. Now that we don't have the excuse of easing rookies into the gameplan or being too young of a team, will a lack of success draw deserved criticism this year? Will we have reason to be calling for heads? :eek:

I think we will see the Texans in a whole lot more 4 recievers, 3 WRs 1 TE, and 2 WRs and 2 TEs formations this year.

If the offense is not productive this year, Palmer may be on a bannana peel. Three years should show some productivity increase and if there isn't, somone usually takes it in the shorts and Palmer would be the logical scapegoat.

I don't think this will happen because I think this offense is going to light up some teams by about week 8, but if we can't get back to where we were last season before all the injuries crippled the team--that is, get back to being a very respectable if not top-ten offense--then Palmer should probably call a realtor.

There should be an offensive coordinator job opening up in Austin soon...hehehe

I feel like we saw some very good improvement last season so I don't know if I'm going to completely go along with a "now or never" mindset in evaluating the team this year. I'd like to see some more consistency obviously and I'd like to see both halves of our team healthy and functioning at the same time for once too.

In 2002 we had a very nice defensive unit that kept us in games we had absolutely no business in. That defense kept the Texans from being the laughing stock that almost all expansion teams start out as. In 2003 the offense took some of that load off of their shoulders but wasn't ready for the entire burden to be shifted their way yet. When the defense went south due to injury the offense wasn't ready to take up all the slack but we still won 5 games.

This season I think that if our defense has injuries consistent with what we went through last season (please no, please) then I think our offense should be ready to carry the team. They might not be ready to carry them to more than 6-7 wins but I think they should be capable of that.

Last year you still had two major skill positions filled by rookies so keep that in mind. You had our starting quarterback miss significant time as well. We integrated two or three new offensive linemen also. If things were a little up and down last season then I can see very good reasons why that was the case.

I just watched the Tennessee and Indianapolis games (week's 15 and 16) today after making copies for people and that was not an offense lacking improvement. They looked good against a couple of playoff bound teams.

Expect better because we're going to get it. They looked to me on those two games like they were starting to gel.

I dont think it is now or never because you can never know what problems of speedbumps the Texans will face this season. The offense should be better with 2 outstanding rookies having a year under their belt, the O-line continuing to improve, and hopefully the transformation of Carr into the solid, smart, franchise QB we expected him to be when we drafted him 1st overall. Unless there are unforseen injuries or something along that lines, there should be no reason that the Texans offense should not be a good consisten offense that can regularly put points on the board. :)

i dont agree with now or never. while we all want to see the playoffs, it shouldnt cause rifts if we're not a superbowl team yet. the key is improvement. we're not babies anymore, but we still have a very young team. carr 3rd year, aj 2nd, dd 2nd, hollings 2nd, pitts 3rd, gaffney 3rd, weary/brown 3rd, babin 1st, robinson 1st, wade 5th, mccree 4th, smith 5th, armstrong 2nd, joppru 1st, moses 2nd, miller essentially in his 3rd. 1/2 of our starting defense is seasoned veterans, the rest of the team is still in a learning phase. i really dont want to end up like the last 3 franchises that tried to build up fast & then fizzled out. we'll scream & shout & call for players/coaches heads during the season ofcourse, but we've got most all of the pieces in place to get things done for the long haul ... we cant screw that up because we're impatient or we run into bad luck.

While I truely understand where you are coming from when it comes to our OC, you got to remember who we share the division with. Both Indy and Tenn. went to the playoffs last year and it was not soley because of their offense. For what seems like the first time ever, Indy had a really good defense. Tony Dungee has finaly turned that team around, of course getting Dwight Freeny didn't hurt matters any, and they are playing both sides of the ball; the entire team doesn't have to hope for Payton and Marvin to just outscore everybody any more. And then there are the Titans, possibly the most hated team in our division, whose defense has shut David and the boys down on a regular basis. So it is not only Palmer's fault for not producing a working offense, but also Tenn. and Indy both have a really good defense.

NOW or NEVER? Come on it should be, How much improvement is shown? Yes there is possiblities for Playoffs this year, but we are still in possiblely the hardest division in the NFL. So as long as we make good progress I will be happy, because the future is very bright so just keep moving to the light.

I think we still need to give these guys another two years till we give them a mature team's assessment. With the way things have been going for the Texans' this off-season, it looks like they'll have a vastly improved team, both offensive and defensive. I'm sure we'll get a sure 7 wins this season....if we stay healthy. At 7 wins, things can only get better the following year....if we get less...then we have a problem!

A lot of things may happen. D.D. may prove to be a one-year wonder. The injury bug could devastate a key position. A.J. may get double-teamed all year and there may not be good play out of our other WR's (see Buffalo's offense in 2003 inspite of having Bledsoe, Travis Henry, and Eric Moulds). All of these could happen, but I would be surprised.

not sure how this season is gonna turn out...all signs point to improvement and maybe a playoff run...but in my eyes...i've never really been a fan of palmer...if i was casserly and this season isn't an improvement offensively i would seriously consider bringing in a new offensive coordinator...a good sign of this is when our QB goes to him to try and convience him to open up the playbook...come on man if your QB wants to try and throw the deep ball more then let's do it...rock in fire one of the best ways to go :spot:

I haven't been very critical of Palmer's play calling the past two seasons because in all honesty he has had some pretty big hurdles in terms of lack of experienced players. With that said I think we've all observed some moments where the play calling has made you just want to scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.

Now that our QB has had 2 seasons of experience with the system, I'm looking for them to really open up the playbook and stop being ultra conservative. We have the players to allow us to move the ball and step away from the vanilla play calling. Hopefully they will give Carr the reigns and let him show us why he was the #1 overall pick.

The offense show great improvement over year one and there is no reason to believe this year will be any different. Palmer has did a great job last year. Remember, all the conservative play calling does not fall all on Palmer. Capers has alot of input into the game plan. Were in year three of a five year plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back