Now is the Time to Field Trade Offers for Tate

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by houstonhurricane, Oct 13, 2013.

1. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

The team is tanking as a whole but Foster, who we have a ton of dollars invested in, is coming on strong. Tate is a luxury that is not worth keeping if we can pick up an appetizing draft pick or two for him. It would be one thing if we were still competing for a title, but at this stage it would seem a waste to simply have him walk at the end of the year.

Who knows, the extra picks could help us move up in the first for an even better qb option...I saw the Jags are floating MJD out there as race bait but I would suspect teams would be more inclined to look at a healthier Tate.

2. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Tate for Weeden why not LOL

3. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

I wish this was the NBA because we could dump Schaub with Tate

4. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

IMO your not going to get much of anything in a trade for Tate. Why would a team give us a draft pick for a player they can just sign at the end of the season in FA. If a team did give us anything for Tate it would most likely be a very late round pick which is just the cost of a half season rental player that will still be a FA at the end of the season. If we traded Tate we would also lose out on any compensatory pick that we might get for him the next year.

5. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

This! ^^^

A compensatory pick will be higher than any pick we may be able to get in a trade.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If you're a GM with nothing better to do all day but work the phones & create interest, you could find a "play-off" team in need of a RB. Say.... Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans..... & you sell them about this year, about this opportunity. Sell ice to an eskimo....

7. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Oh I agree, you give it a try cause it doesn't hurt to ask, but I'm betting those other GM's aren't stupid. RB's take alot of pounding and have short careers for the most part, good ones can be found late in the draft or as an UDFA (as we proved with Arian), Tate hasn't exactly set the league on fire with his running, and Tate has an injury history. All of these things work against him being tradeable.

8. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

It wouldn't hurt to ask around. I doubt we can get much unless a playoff contender loses its starting rb in the next few days.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That assumes we are eligible for any compensatory picks. They are done on team net, not just individually.

10. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Ah. I always thought it was individually. Thanks for the info.