Notable Rule Changes in the NFL

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by NitroGSXR, Aug 5, 2007.

1. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

These changes are pretty significant but I really have to agree with all of these.

Especially 3A (challenge of downs by contact) and 3B (No penalty when an offensive lineman touches the ball first)(David Carr probably could have benefited from this rule somewhat as well as QBs who have a sidearm delivery). I do NOT like unchallengable plays one iota and this just changes a lot. With the new quality of Instant replay interwined with the new 60 second rule. There should be NOT BE A SINGLE PLAY that is unchallengable. Of course, I was happy with the 90 second rule but it shouldn't make all that much of a difference when you factor in the higher quality being implemented.

I really like what the NFL has done here. To quote a buddy of mine, "Fine-tuning the greatest sport in the galaxy."

Let's hear your thoughts on these rule changes, fellows!

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

No. 2 is epic. I never agreed with the infinite goal line logic, and I am glad to hear it addressed. This is a great decision, IMO.

The NFL is promoting offense. Tightening these rules will both help and hinder us, depending on which side of the ball we're on. Richard Smith likes an agressive style of defense, and he takes risks. Hopefully they are smart risks and he stresses discipline and self-control from our defenders. But I think our new offense will benefit from the tightening and could help jump start the process they're trying to build.

3. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I do have a slight concern with this one though. Just how much is too much? Does this 'guideline' for the referees give them too much leeway? I thought that the NFL has pretty much done a good job on calling the roughing penalties in general. David Stern hindered the flow of the way basketball is played nowadays. He became so much stricter that teams just insanely increased their scoring outputs this season. I rather enjoyed seeing basketball players playing defense just as much as I enjoyed seeing them score. With them stressing for stricter calls in the NFL just gives me a little bit of concern. Remember, this is not one of the rule changes. It's just a very general remark in the rule book that just may give too much leeway to the referees.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Because the referees always obey that time limit right?

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree with you. I understand that teams want to protect their big investments, but QBs are still football players. They are going to get hit, and referees are given a lot of power with the leeway to decide these new changes.

6. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Tell me if I am misinterpreting this or not.

Does this mean that a team can no longer spike the ball to keep from using a timeout. If so, I don't like it.

7. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

No I think it is only in referance to the unsportsman crap like a TO does, gets a first down and then spikes the ball, because we all know how great getting a first down is and you need as much attention for doing it.

8. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Just wondering. It says when the play is still alive. That would be before the whistle blows. In the past that was just an incomplete pass and loss of downs. If they play was alive with TO spiking the ball before scoring it would be a fumble.