No Way DD gets cut, IR most likely

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texian, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Read today's "Open Locker Room Quotes....

Kubiak (on cutting Domanick Davis) “The idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I don’t know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision that’s made about him, then he’s looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as I’ve said all along we’re going to do what’s right for him.”

If DD goes on IR he his done for 2006 season.

2. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

If a player is placed on IR does it effect his contract in any way? Does he still make the same salary for the year, and does his contract status still progress a year?

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

He gets paid according to his contract. So if he was due to make $6M plus playing incentives, then he make $6M and no incentives. Onto the next year of his contract.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'm glad Kubiak cleared that up for the health of the board.

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

tulexan likes this.
  6. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I cannot figure out why we would put him on IR after the doctors have said, according to various articles, that his knee is fine and he will have to get used to the pain. He has had almost a year off, is another year really going to help? And before I get bashed, I am not a DD hater, Bush lover, etc. I just cannot figure this thing out, the story of DD's knee seems to change almost everyday.

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

And/or if you heard him on SR 610 earlier this week as I did. IMO, he was ready to ax/cut DD, but had a change of heart. Or maybe somebody helped change his mind for him after a sampling of fan opinion ?

8. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Nah if that was the case Sage would be starting at QB. Maybe McNair changed his mind?

9. phan1

phan1 All Pro

Inaccurate info from out own newspaper! FOR SHAME!!!

Anyway, from what I read, DD is just going to have to suck it up and play because it's just not going to get much better even if he does sit out for a whole year. It's going to end up sore once he starts playing anyway. It's really unfortunate that we hear other player come back from bigger injuried (Edge and Mghee) and they turn up great. Can't someone perform some kind of surgery for DD?

10. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Agreed. And from what I read the original surgery included a partial removal of his meniscus. If I remember correctly, when I had my knee operated on, I had meniscus damage also, and the meniscus is a layer of tissue that fits under the knee cap that provides a sort of cushion for the underside of the knee cap. I could be wrong on this, maybe cloak can chime in on it.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Adam Schefter, aka Suzy Kolber's brother, reported on Total Access that he spoke to the Texans today and he doesn't expect DD to be released.

Anyone who heard Kubiak yesterday evening could have (and did) easily interpret the words and the tone to mean cut so I don't think any of us were over-reacting to what we heard, just relaying it.

12. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

You know, I keep seeing people post that they've seen "various articles" that have the play through the pain thing. I am not denying that was ever in an article .... but I only saw 1 article. Does that count as various?

(p.s. this actually surprised me that I only saw it on 1 article, given how often the media takes previous reports, slightly edits them, and puts them out as their own, maybe it wasn't on an associated press and thats why I haven't seen it multiple times on multiple articles. Meh)

thunderkyss likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.......... yipee... yipee... yipee. I love Kubiak.

First, I need to know where I can look at these talking notes, and press releases.... I seem to not be smart enough to navigate HoustonTexans.com..... someone please drop me some links.

Second..... I said a hundred Hail Mary's, and promised to not criticize Carr for the rest of this season, if We can get DD back healthy.....

I've been trying to lay off.... & I know I'm not doing to well. If you guys could remind me every now and again, I'd appreciate it.

They were talking about cutting DD on NFL network......... the possibility.... AdamScheffer said it wasn't possible...... but anyway, they were showing some highlights. & I have to say, I disagree with everyone who doesn't believe DD is special.

anyway..... I'm happy. I love this team, and I love GaryK.

Brandon420tx likes this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The Texans passed on Reggie Bush. If you see one article about DD not making the team, or DD health issues, every major paper, Net Zine, & what not will have a version out of some kind, you can bet on that.

But DD's knee issues, I thought aren't necessarily related to the operation. He returned to camp, passed the physical, and was cleared to play. Then something happened, nobody knows what (to the best of my knowledge) and it appeared bruised. They did MRIs, and consulted with doctors, and could find nothing wrong with his knee.

Right now, the knee just doesn't feel right...... there is some pain....... & the doctors have said for all they know, the pain may be normal.

No ones ever explained the bruise.

I'm hoping the Texans are resting DD....... & though it's a ****ty thing to do, I hope DD is waiting till next week to start practicing with the team...... ala steveSmith, & Hines Ward.

15. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player_news.asp?sport=NFL&id=1614&line=71201

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

www.kffl.com

Texans | D. Davis wants to play – but it does not look good
    Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:58:45 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans RB Domanick Davis (knee) doesn't know when his injured left knee will be healthy enough for him to return to the field. He has been out for a month with a bone bruise that is causing soreness in his knee. He said it has been frustrating and surprising that the injury has kept him out this long. "It's getting to the point where it's just draining me," he said. "I'm tired of watching. I've been here and I've worked hard with everybody else and I can't be out there and help. It's just killing me watching." Texans head coach Gary Kubiak plans to meet with Davis, his agent and his doctors this week to discuss his injury. He wants to find out if Davis can play this season or if he needs to be placed on Injured Reserve. Davis will not be available for Houston's opener against Philadelphia and rookie RB Wali Lundy will start in his place.

LINK

16. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Only one of those says "playing through the pain."

The others say he just won't be the same, could be taken to mean he won't be as fast, or more commonly on returning after leg injuries, fear of getting re-injured, ala Barry Sanders.

Now,
    Me = Stubborn :homer: , but I was right about only seeing it in 1 article.

17. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Says his knee will never be the same, not "he won't be the same." If he goes on IR, that will be a total of almost 2 years he will be out because of his knee. Even if he does come back, he won't be the same, if he cannot even practice how will he play?

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I'm calling BS.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

what?? that I said them, or that he'll be back healthy??

or that I won't criticize Carr for a full season??

Understand, through my criticism...... I've never said we should replace him.

so what's the hubbub.......... bub??

20. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

I share in your optimism, but can't muster up the passion you exhibit.
    Always enjoy your posts, Thunderkyss. :)

I like DD and think we still need him. IR, please.

thunderkyss likes this.