No Training Camp for OD, Hill

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, May 26, 2010.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

The other 4 tight ends: Dreessen, Casey, Garrett, Gaines

We all knew that the reason they signed Gaines and drafted Garrett was to have camp bodies knowing OD and Hill wouldn't be there. I'm shocked Kubes said Hill won't be ready until the season. I think he's headed for the practice squad or the unemployment line. OD's stuff sounds encouraging but missing camp is never good right?

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1178

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I see OD getting into maybe the last game of pre-season and I don't know what to think about Hill. I imagine they will keep him but I can't see that lasting through next season too if he's as unproductive/injured as he has been.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I guess this explains why we took some TE insurance in the draf

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

We HAVE TO draft 2-3 TE's a year since we have the TE curse of Joppru. No TE is safe within this city!!!!

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Hopefully its more than just the last game of preseason for OD. My next question for Kubiak would've been "do you expect OD to be 100% for week 1 with no restrictions or will he have limitations placed on his number of snaps based on his health heading into week 1"?

If he'll be 100% by week 1, then I wouldn't worry too much about camp or preseason. If he's not ready to go all out week 1, I'm starting to get nervous. If thats the case, here's to hoping Casey or Garrett can take the next step up.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

This just means Casey and Garrett are getting tons of snaps. Schaub will find them.

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

OD will probably be doing stuff in practice and whatnot, I just don't see Kubes putting him in a semi-game situation unless he is 100% comfortable with what he has seen Daniels doing in the week prior. I mean, I doubt the offense is going to be so considerably different that Daniels will need the pre-season games to get up to speed.

8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Yeah I agree, OD's gotten enough snaps in this offense, mentally he's up to speed and could miss all of camp and preseason and step in and be fine.

My questions start there though. How long before his knee feels 100%? Is he going to need to run on that knee for a few weeks before it feels normal? Sometimes after these surgeries they'll be 100% heeled but still not feel completely back to normal for weeks even months. These questions are probably better directed towards Owen than Kubes but still need to be asked and answered. Who the heck was conducting this interview with Kubiak anyways? Zero follow up questions on some heavy stuff from Kubes.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Well, if coming back from knee surgery is something you can learn to do, then he should be getting good at it, as this will be his third comeback from an ACL injury.

10. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I think long as he's ready to go 100% week 1 I'm comfortable, if not and Casey or Garrett doesn't look capable of being a decent step in, I'm nervous.

From what I keep hearing Garrett is supposed to be an OD clone.

11. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Hill pretty much had the same injury as OD and right after OD I believe. It will hurt Hill not being in camp though and what you said about PS or unemployment could ring true. Sucks for him cause he is a big kid that could help out with blocking.

12. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Third? I thought OD only had 1 knee injury in college...

13. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

When you're that young and you have this hard of a time staying healthy your future isn't good. I've been rooting for him since we drafted him, a 6-6 260 pound tight end that blocks like a tackle was tantalizing but its becoming clear that his body can't take the NFL wear and tear.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Bottom line, it looks like we may be looking at beginning the season having at least 2 TEs having questionable starting physical capabilities, 3 TEs having questionable starting capabilities, and 1 TE having very questionable starting capabilities. In other words, come opening day, we are one big question mark at tight end.........hopefully not dead end.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Hill is going to be in trouble. I really liked Temple TE Steve Maneri coming out in the draft as a blocking TE. Look for him to impress in training camp.

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

He also had one in HS.

17. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Is he getting any reps?

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

No clue, I dont have access to OTAs. I think he will surprise some people, I am really shocked he went undrafted.

19. Austrian

Austrian Hall of Fame

Not shocked he went undrafted, I had a 7th round grade on him. He's asked to switch to OT btw.

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I had him as a solid 5th.

Where did you hear about him being switched to tackle? Because I think that is internet speculation. He is more of a TE/OL hybrid, much like Hill, which is why I think that Hill's roster spot is in jeopardy.