No rust for Robinson in first practice

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Some positive flow leading up to Sundays game.

2. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Sunday should be interesting.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Anyone else feeling like this game may be totally hit or miss? Like we're either going to come out guns blazing and smoke 'em off the field or have another repeat of Steelers game 1 circa 2008?

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I have no idea how this game is going to go. Unfortunately, that is within the context of two teams who have no identity and are mediocre with aspirations.

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

cb's are on islands most of the time anyway...so I don't think missing camp is going to hurt him too much. Glad to see he is excited. An excited Dunta is a slobberknocker waiting to happen. I know it sure makes my game day better when I see him take out a FB or makes a wr blow a snot bubble. Pound for pound he is the biggest hitter on this team and I'm pretty darn happy I get to see him play this weekend. :)

drewmar74 likes this.
  6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Indeed. Its a MUST win for this team. We cannot afford to be 0-1 going into Tenn week 2. If we can get a win this Sunday no matter how ugly, we will give our boys time to start gelling on the D side of the ball with Cush and D-rob yet to play a snap of football. Even without them getting playing time yet, I think they will provide a definite improvement in helping stop the running game this Sunday.

Overall...if we can stay healthy, I think I like might like our prospects on defense after Cush, DRob, Molden, and the rookie CBs get more and more playing time on the field against NFL competition. But we CAN NOT afford to start off slow like last year.

Good news so far on the D-Rob front!

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Poor form. His hat is on the wrong side and he left his feet... ;)

8. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I think he used to be before his injury. When he came back last year, he was a little tentative to get in there and mix it up, which is totally understandable for what happened to his knee and how it happened. I have no doubt that Dunta will be in shape physically, the question is will he be ready mentally? What made him a great player to me was his ability to throw caution to the wind and launch himself at someone with the intent of laying them out, with no regards to his own safety in the process. He's never been a shut down corner (coverage wise), so if you take his hard nosed hitting out of the equation, what are we really left with? I'm not trying to be a downer, I just need to see him get in there and put the hurt on someone to convince me he's good to go.

9. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Texans are 4.5 point favs, but I think that may be a little too much. So many variables in this game, along with it being the first game of the season. I think I'll stay away from this one on Sunday as far as wagering.

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Color me nervous about this game as well, more specifically about our defense. We have not seen Cushing or Drob play a down all preseason. I am glad it's at home, we got that going for us.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He wasn't at full strength so using last year is a poor judge of his play. He was on the field faster than anticipated but it takes longer than that to get your full strength back and confidence in your body post injury.

12. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Sounds like he is just fine in that department.

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/09/dunta_robinson_qa_on_physical.html

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

We talkin' 'bout practice?

Practice?

Show me in the game that you're not rusty. In the game. The game. In the game that you love to play, that you give your blablabla.....

GAME TIME

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

qft

15. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Buzzkill.

16. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    more like truth kill

17. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Home teams get 3 points for being the favorite. Vegas basically saying they lean Texans but not with much confidence.

I get the same feeling this game as I do when the Chiefs came to town in 2007.

18. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Either way.

19. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I'm not too concerned about Dunta having much rust. We are lucky in that our first 4 games we play the Jets, Titans, Jags, and Raiders. 4 teams who are not known for their passing offense.

On that same token we are very unlucky in that we're playing 4 teams who's offensive strength lies in their running game. We caught a break in that Dunta and Reeves will be able to get their legs under them before we have to start playing some good passing offenses like the Cardinals in week 5 but we are very unlucky that our biggest perceived weakness on defense (run defense, particularly up the middle) will be tested in a big way the first 4 games of the season.

We shouldn't be worried about Dunta's rust, we should be worried about Cushing's. He has yet to play an NFL down and is going to be in the starting lineup against some tough running games. We need him to step up in a big way in order for us to start off 3-1.

TimeKiller likes this.
  20. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Good point.