No Retread Running Backs for Texans per John McClain

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFanatic, Mar 4, 2010.

1. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Thank God! Perhaps we'll stop seeing every 30 year old running back's name associated with the Texans now.

LINK

2. Pocky

Pocky Rookie

Not so fast..

This dan fellow is saying he has sources saying they ARE going to pursue Chester Taylor. And of course McClain is saying the opposite.

Now it comes down to this, should we believe this unknown guy who claims to have sources within the Texans FO or should we believe beat writer, McClain?

My conclusion: They're both full of **** and don't have an effin' idea of what's going on within the Texans FO, nor what's Rick Smith gonna do in the FA.

3. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

There was another guy on the ht.com boards saying they also had interest in LT when McClain said they didnt.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I suppose, technically, the guys who claim to have inside knowledge and McClain are all correct.

The Texans may want to offer Chester Taylor a contract, but it won't be nearly what he wants.

5. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

i have it on good authority that chester taylor will be a chicago bear tomorrow.

6. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

McClain is not the guy to trust on these things. He puts out what the FO wants him to put out.

Personally, I think that LT still has a lot left in the tank and would be great for our system. It'd be foolish to base these decisions on their experience with Ahman Green.

7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

So we will have a 1st rd rb. Ryan matthews is fine with me so long as they address cb in FA.

8. No More 8-8's

No More 8-8's Veteran

Personally, i would love the texans to get a FA running back just for the sheer fact we can rub in John's face that was wrong.

J_R likes this.

9. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Me too. Just to shut his fat, kielbasa disposal up.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

It might be wise for us to bring in a veteran RB at least. If we draft one our RB corps will consist of a bunch of babies who desperately need the mentorship of a vet. It might be a while, but I think we'll eventually bring in a vet. It might not be LT, TJ, CT, etc., but I think we get somebody.

11. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

Id be lying if I said I wasnt interested in Chester Taylor. That guy has been good for a while but has never started so the mileage is low.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I think Texans will watch this first surge of free agency and then start bringing in players next week who can compete for jobs or back up.

From his rolling commentary/Twitter feed.

Is this ust me, but isn't every player that a team signs someone who could compete for jobs or back-up?

13. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

you would think so. its a pretty glaring weakness and there is a slew of guys that could come in and have a good shot at improving our team. i'm not sure the price would be that prohibitive either...it just may take some patience for the candidates to test the water and come back to us and accept possibly a more Texans-friendly deal than they originally asked for.

we might end up with a Willie Parker on a one year deal with possibly a team option in 2011 (the dead season). i don't think they are going to go after the top tier guys (taylor, jones, tomlinson). the team is operating as if there is a cap so don't expect much if anything at any position. after all, they just signed Matt Turk. Championship time.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Other than the normal free-spending teams, most of the league is acting as if there's still a cap. Do research, read about the league and you'll find the Texans are NOT the "cheap" team.

And yes, I do expect us to bring in a vet RB too. It'll be for a decent price too and rightfully so

15. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Yes, but that's just John reporting at his best.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think it is exactly the opposite and since Capers/Casserly's departure McClain has been virtually locked out by the Texans. Very rarely anymore do you see or hear a line from him nowadays that "sources with the team told me" or anything similar and you heard that a lot in the Capers/Casserly era. You can tell in the interviews that Kubiak and Smith don't like McClain.

17. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I have it on good athority that McClain couldn't find a way to get his head out of his own ass. That is all.

18. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

19. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Just saw that the Raiders released Justin Fargas. Anyone for giving him a chance? I'm not real familiar with him, but he doesn't have a lot of miles on him.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Lots of injuries, too.