No Offensive Line Changes

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Runner, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Apparently the coaches are not going to change anything on the O-line this week, unless they change their minds in the next couple of days.

It is hard to believe that the tackles giving up the edge play after play is acceptable, especially to a coaching staff that preaches technique so much. The rushers got past the outside shoulders of our tackles often, and that is the type of thing film study points out. Losing the edge is a poor play even if Carr gets the pass off before the rusher can press his advantage or if an inside rusher gets the sack before the outside rusher gets there.

At some point all of the units on this team need to be held accountable for their play and the coaches need to quit the CYA on past decisions. If some players aren't getting the job done they need to try alternatives - as they've done at cornerback and linebacker.

2. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Remember, as many have pointed out on this bb that these guys just need time to gel. :rolleyes:

3. Runner

I think we are just waiting to play a bad enough team so we can say "only 3 sacks, what an improvement!"

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The time to change is in the off-season. Other than signing another scrub or abducting a decent lineman from a NFL team we are what we are at this point.

5. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

That would be this week against Tennessee at Reliant...

6. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Signing Ross Verba could help immediately, but I think we could do far better long-term addressing the issue in the offseason. There are several top-notch LT's that we will be able to draft even if we rip off some wins.

I still think we are going to end up with more of a mediocre record, rather than a horrible one though. Remember we still have Tennessee twice, San Francisco, Cleveland, Arizona, and the Rams on our schedule. We have beaten the Jags at least once every year, and we have seven home games left.

7. Runner

I don't know about Verba. The Chiefs and Patriots (and I think one other team) have already lost their starting LTs with serious injuries, and Verba is still unemployed. It may be that many teams know something about him that keep him on in the unemployment line. Probably his cost/performance ratio. The Patriots rookie back-up has looked pretty bad too, so you'd think they'd be looking at alternatives.

8. Bongo59

Bongo59 Veteran

.............Considering we have the leading sacker in the league..........Doubtful..........I think Carr is in for another long day............with alot of blitzing as well..............

9. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

First Carr is second in sacks to Culpepper with 21. Next Verba mouth has led to the one thing he did not want and that was for people to study film on him. He is nothing more than a smaller Wade who for the most part can be a decent starter in this league and not nearly worth the money he wants except for a lower rung team that will overpay him. We have the players to make a decent line, but we have them in the wrong spots. Riley is not a LT and we are kidding ourselves thinking he is. He is a RG or RT mauler type of blocker that cannot sustain blocks. Weigert would be better suited at LG due to his ability to pick up on blitz-schemes. Pitts is our best option at LT due to his speed and athleticism, but he cannot seem to keep focus all game.
    Pitts, Weigert, McKinney, Riley, Wade. Would provide a line that is adequate instead of abismal. We would still need a legitimate LT, but we put guys in a position to succeed.

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Verba is a decent lineman but he is wanting too much money. As some of you have pointed out, there is a reason that he is still unemployed with so many teams needing linemen to fill in for injured players. Anyone that is still unemployed four weeks into the season is unemployed for a reason. I agree with Coach C. that we should shift our guys around a little and give them a better chance to succeed.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I wonder if Texans84 is still laughing about you guys signing Kyle Vanden Bosch? Doesn't look so humorus now does it 84?

12. Texans Horror

I'm just stating that we have a better chance playing Tennessee at home than we ever did playing the buffs, steelers, or bengals. And looking at our schedule, it might be one of our best chances to win this season.

13. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

First: Carr is first in the league in sacks per game with 6.67 per game. Culpepper is 2nd with 5.25. That's a sack and a half more per game. No need to sugar coat it.
    Second: I doubt you knew that Bongo is a Titans fan. You probably thought he was a Texans fan and was refering to Carr instead of Vanden Bosch. Not really a big deal though. :hmmm:

14. Mr Shush

Mr Shush Veteran

I'm not sure that the Titans will represent an easier prospect than the Bengals in terms of protecting Carr. The Bengals had been poor in terms of sack rate before they played us, so unless you think the reduction in coverage sacks will balance out the increase in other varieties I would expect matters to get worse, not better, in that department. Our defense, on the other hand, should have a rather easier time of it than in the first three games.

15. Texans Horror

Good points.

16. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Seth Wand is looking better & better to me especially as we have no other choice. Let me see if I have this right, we can use a left tackle, tight end and full back basically to protect Carr from the other teams right end. Oh man, we suck!

17. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Seth Wand would be a nice G or RT he is just not fluid enough to play LT. Unfortunately we have alot of money wrapped up in WAde and Weigert, even though Weigert would make a better LG. Our tightends hurt us because they are not a threat at all. Plus our fullback is nothing more than a good leadblocker and shortyardage threat.

18. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

No...... actually...... you... don't

SF is beating ya by one sack. :) Just busting ya rocks, Bongo - don't sweat it.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the coaches specifily Pendry I'm sure are focused on who deserves to start at each position on this line. if Carr can gain some confidence that the pocket will be pushed to the backside he should be able to use his footwork to move up in the pocket out of harms way keeping focus downfield. to solve the middle blitz packages, Norris should become more of a feature in the offensive set along with DD.

20. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

Moran Norris is a decent reciever too. He did score our only touchdown last week, even though it was short yardage. He did leap over a linebacker to get into the endzone though. We rarley seem to pass when we have a fulback in the game.