No OD, No wins.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jaayteetx, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Heres hoping his rehab goes well!

2. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Can he call plays?

3. Spled

Spled All Pro

He's all pro caliber.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Yeah, say what you want about one certain player not making a difference, but the fact remains . . .

. . the offense hasn't been the same since Daniels got hurt. He was THAT important.

TheCD likes this.
  5. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

I agree

6. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

You just made Owen Daniels contract negotiation for him.

7. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Agreed. We'd better not let him go if he comes back healthy.

8. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

Hahaha! I don't think OD would have call that stupid HB pass, even the announcers were shocked!!!! JUST PLAIN STUPID FOOTBALL WEEK IN WEEK OUT!!!!! The fans should bring their torches & pitchforks to McNair's house & demand GOOD & COMPETENT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Marcus

That's fine. Pay the man. Better than that POS Dunta, I know that much.

10. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

In a weird way to me this means Kubiak does not come back next year. How much of it was OD missing (and I'd say there's a definite impact) and how much of of the last 4 games have really been on the coaching. I know Dreesen and Casey are not Pro-bowl material today, but the Texans seemed damned with or without OD. It's sad really. The man was poised to have a huge year. I feel like at the same time the team would still find a way to be almost where they are at today.

11. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

Agreed. Maybe he wil send you some of his signing bonus.

12. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Wow marcus, I love your opinions but to say OD is the key to the team doesn't make sense. I agree we haven't won but OD is just a pass catching TE. This team isn't complete and didn't reach unreal expectations. We are what we are. I love OD but he isn't the missing link to the playoffs.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

5-3 with OD, 0-4 without. Pretty easy math there

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I think the argument is being simplified. Does he make a difference?Yes. No doubt. Has it made such a difference that 0-4 is because of it? Not even close. The offense moved the ball many times yesterday. Walters has taken an OD like role and has gotten more involved. They just shot themselves in the foot. It has happened many games. Look at the first half vs the Colts. I see coaching and adjustments as more of the factor than just OD.

15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I don't believe we've scored over 20 without him either.

You can easily say we haven't won without him but what you can't say is whether or not we would've won with him.

16. Marcus

Coaching and adjustments were just as big a factor in the games when OD played, as when he wasn't. They haven't scored more than 20 points a game since OD went down. The matchup problem that OD gave the opposing defense cannot be overstated.

Even though we lost the last four games, they were all very close games. I say that if OD had played in those 4 games, and performed just as well in those four games like he did before he went down, there wouldn't be all this gargling on the 'pink soap'.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

each team has 22 starting players. Hell the Colts lose 2 all pros and a couple more players and they manage to play at a high level. Losing one guy and trying to tie all your wins and losses around that guy is ridiculous. Hell the Oilers beat the Chargers in the playoffs without Earl Campbell and Dan Pastorini...those guys were pretty good. Losing one guy ain't gonna kill a team sport where you have 22 starting players in a team game.

Goldensilence and HoustonFrog like this.
  18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

owen daniels is probably making more money by missing games this season than his previous performances. like i said elsewhere, we all knew how much owen meant to our offense, what we didnt know was how much trouble we were in without him.

moving the ball has happened several times with some success since daniels went down, it hasnt happened in the middle of the field with anything resembling consistancy however. the only quarterback without a TE crutch is brady, but with faulk and welker and a spread offense he can do without. those yards as texans fans are all too familiar with dont mean points, which have taken a dramatic downturn in the past 4 weeks. it also limited our playcalling with TE screens and bootleg TE release plays and our old reliable play action 15 yard cross that we've leaned on - not to mention getting weird when we near the goalline. outside of arguably one redzone pass today, what routes has walter made completions on in those games that replace daniels? if anything anderson's done more, but that's his role anyways to take advantage of what owen and andre clear out. with owen on the field our lowest point total was 21 - good enough to win 2 of our 4 games since. by the numbers daniels put up during his games (subtracted by the few results by his replacements), our average would win all 4 games.

19. rjg2319

rjg2319 Rookie

Stats tell the tale:

Tight End Production

With OD: Wk 1-8:
    40 rec, 519 yards, 5TD

After OD injury, (J. Casey, A. Hill, J. Dresseen): Wk 8-13
    12 rec, 133 yards, 0TD (combined)

Don't forget that opponents also roll their coverage to AJ now
    -notice the increase in thrown to, but without more catches.
    Yesterday, 17 thrown to, 7 catches.

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

This

I mean the Colts lost Sanders and half their defense and won. I'm not sure if anyone here saw this but I posted this last week

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091201&sportCat=nfl

Teams all year have lost players to injury. OD was one component. The Texans scored 20 first half points last week and then got shut out. WR and the offense was suppsoed to be the strong point and where depth was with Casey and guys picking up slack. Now I see excuses again.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Vinny and Texecutioner like this.