No love from PFT WK 5 picks

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Oct 6, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/06/pfts-week-five-picks-2/

Raiders at Texans

Florio’s take: The Titans managed to win last week without their top receiver, Kenny Britt. The Texans tend to rely a little bit more on Andre Johnson. He has missed 13 games during his career, and the Texans have lost eight of them. With a better-than-advertised Raiders team coming to town and the Texans’ new-look defense having not yet seen a tailback like Darren McFadden, the record with Andre could be moving to 5-9.

Florio’s pick: Raiders 20, Texans 13.

Rosenthal’s take: This will be a different sort of test for the rebuilt Texans defense. Houston has shown they can get after the passer, but handling the smashmouth Raiders is altogether different. Both of these teams are talented, but make too many bone-headed mistakes. Look for Houston to make more mistakes Sunday.

Rosenthal’s pick: Raiders 28, Texans 24.

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I don't have a problem with the second guys assessment. I think this game willl be close and could go either way.

As for looking at how we have played with 'Dre out, those stats aren't that relevant because of how much different the supporting casts, coaching, schemes have been on those occasions.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

I think we will handle the Raiders. I don't think McFadden is going to do a whole lot.

4. TexansWest

TexansWest Rookie

If somebody will put a huge hit on McFadden early, he'll fold his tent the rest of the game. I can't believe how many plays he takes off during a game!!

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

The Raiders keeping us to 13 points? I dont see it.

They are giving up 409.8 yards per game so far. Good enough for 28th.

113 points given up - good enough for 31st.

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

The Texans aren't set up to score a lot of points.

We are built to move the chains, control the tempo, win time of possession battle. We are not a team like the Patriots designed to get it down field quick and spin the scoreboard.

If we make a few mistakes on our drives, turn the ball over with Schaub's trademarked sh#$y throw of the game, we could only score 13.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

What makes you say this? We haven't really stopped the run well against teams wanting to pass. Suddenly we're going to stop it against a team that wants to run and has a much better RB?

I expect McFadden to get his yards. If we're going to win, Foster needs to get his as well.

8. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I can see our TEs having a huge day against those LBs. We will stuff an extra guy in the box at the beginning of the game, go up by a couple of TDs by half time, and play not to lose in the second half, winning the game by 7 points. Its the Texans' way!

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

That's what Rex Ryan thought also, right before McFadden gashed his vaunted D for 171 yards rushing.

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think McFadden WILL do a lot, but we'll still win. I see McFadden and Foster both tearing up the turf Sunday. Texans by 10.

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Florio & Rosenthal are two of the bigger idiots in sports blogdom.

PFT is a comedy of errors.

Too bad, because I like the format.

12. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Florio was on the Matt Thomas show the other day and threw out some pretty poor analysis of the Texans. Does anyone have a track record of how his picks turned out this year? I would love to see that.

13. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

First guys comments are without merit. The Texans have beaten the Raiders 2 out of the last 4 times without Andre in the lineup. And when he's played, Aso held him to limited catches. Arian Foster's the difference maker, and look for a breakout game from Owen Daniels. No way they hold our team to less than 24 points. Texans 24 - Raiders 17

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

He picked the Dolphins to win, but he's picked the other three games correctly.

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Well, neither of them would be at the top of the Texans Talk pick'em leagues I'm in.

Florio is 41-23 through 4 weeks (Rosenthal is 43-21).

I've had a rotten year this year and I'm 40-24. TheDudeAbides, Dutchrudder, and Texaninlild are all 46-18.

They both had us beating the Steelers, getting crushed by the Saints, getting beat by the Dolphins, and beating the Colts.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

McFadden has gone crazy in two of his games. The other two he didn't reach 100 yards. One of his games he averaged 3.2 ypc.

No ones running game has beat us this year and I don't think that will change against the Raiders. We haven't stopped the run well overall and we haven't needed to, but we have stopped it enough.

Make plays when teams try to pass it and we will more than likely win the game. This is NFL 2011, teams that can pass the ball win games. Teams that can't don't.....Generally speaking...

17. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

if we're pick to lose: "they're dumbas*es"
    if we're pick to win: "oh god, we're gonna lose now"

18. Arky

Arky Veteran

19. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Hasn't Florio picked against us every week so far?

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yeah , they are built for ball control and without AJ that becomes exaggerated I expect to see a lot of 3 TE sets or 2 TE's with Casey. They'll have to avoid penalties and turnovers , extend drives and convert in the red zone.
    If they can avoid penalties and turnovers , I think the running game with a mix of play action can win against the Raiders.

The Raiders have only given up 2 sacks in 121 pass attempts

The Raiders have the 6th fewest pass attempts , the Texans 5th fewest with 113.

The Texans lead the NFL in rushing attempts with 137 the Raiders are second with 128.

Raiders 7th in the NFL in scoring with an average of 27.8. The Texans are 8th at 26.8.

Houston is 4th in the NFL in points allowed at 17.5 the Raiders give up 28.2 points per game good for 30th.

Rushing defense - the Raiders are 29th while the Texans are 18th.