no FA cb signing yet?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by sportsguyla, Nov 10, 2007.

1. sportsguyla

sportsguyla Rookie

I haven't heard any news regarding a Free agent cb signing. I know about von hutchins moving back to cb but seriously, does our GM think there is not a single free agent that can help this team, at least depth wise? And if so, signing someone at the beginning if the bye week gives 2 weeks to learn the system. Why wait until theres only one week to learn?

There can't be that many options to evaluate.

On a separate note, does anyone know if a team is provided any cap relief to replace a player placed on IR?

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

We're secretly going into the "Draft McFadden" mode. :)

3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

There is nobody worth signing, as most NFL teams are ectremly reluctente to cut players who can cover. It IS as simple as that, I just don't know why it's so hard for some people to except.

Our GM has a pretty good history of finding good talent off the waiver wire, so if he hasn't signed anybody it should be a fairly obvious sign that there is nobody worth signing.

I hate the bye week.

4. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

If we are moving Hutchins to corner we would need to replace a safety spot, not CB. So I assume we'll move Harrison up from the PS sometime this week. Also, if we sign a CB it'll likely be McCleon who already knows the system, so there is no rush there.

Aren't we also supposed to make a decision on Spencer this week?

5. Errant Hothy

I think so.

I hate the bye week.

6. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

if there has to be a bye week, change it so AFC goes one week, and NFC goes the next.

7. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

im guessing it will be demps and brown at safety... kinda hoping that bouleware would get in there... we'll see

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

There should plenty of DBs out there on all the practice squads, so I don't think (IMO) it's a situation of not having anybody available...somebody out there on the practice squad is a star waiting to happen, even if it's a crap shoot as to "who" it is and whether we could be smart enough to know who it is. It's a gamble, and I really don't think the odds are in the favor of finding the diamond(s) in the rough.

Having said that, I would think it's obvious that three options are on the board:

1. Moving guys around into different spots (guys on our roster/PS squad)

2. McCleon, who is familiar with our team.

3. Some dude off the street or on another team's practice squad.

I prefer McCleon, myself. Our luck with rotating guys around into different spots is not that great, IIRC.

Are we the only team who rotates defensive players on such a consistent basis? It seems everyone has played 4 or 5 different spots over the past 4 to 5 years...as in "Our defense stinks, there's no better upgrade available, and so we gotta' mix it up and try to find the right combination" sort of thing.

Will there come a day when we lock down each position and quit this madness?

Musical positional changes is making my head hurt.

9. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I wouldn't mind.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I want the texans to win also, but with d-rob down ...and the way our secondary is, best chance IMO is for us running the ball and controlling the clock...however we can't seem to keep Green healthy either..

very tough for a team with little depth (and working on it)

Spencer..at this time in the season, if he isn't 100 percent...let him heal on the sidelines.

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

No. I say we bring him on. We have to know where we stand with Spencer and him being on the sidelines just isn't helping us. We're waiting on him and we just can't. Either he's going to be able to play some football or we're just going to have to move forward. That's all there is to it.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think Kubiak stated at the beginning of the season that Spencer in all likelihood would not play at all this season either. I can't see them playing him and risking him getting even more injured.

13. adam

adam Guero

In reality, there is no point in signing someone else. There is absolutely no one in the free agency bin that is any better than Faggins. We will most likely just switch Hutchins over and activate Harrison at the Safety spot. If we sign anyone, it will probably be McCleon. That isn't much more likely either though.

14. Errant Hothy

Looks like somebody might be signed in the near future:
    http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3890

I wonder who it might be, and has anybody heard anything.

15. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

16. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I almost sarcastically posted in the list of FA CB's thread, hey, let's take McCleon.

17. Errant Hothy

If it's McCleon then whats the hold up? Shouldn't a deal with McCleon happen fairly quickly?

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

19. Errant Hothy

Playing in Jacksonville, where he has been since the begining of the season.

20. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

If the comment about signing someone was in Monday's practice quotes, and if Kubiak said that they were working on signing someone and that Rick Smith would let everyone know that afternoon ("that" being Monday), can't we surmise that no one was signed?

This, coupled with today's Chronic story that states that Von and Fred and going to start at corner makes me think that we signed no one.

Von and Fred will be CB2 and CB1, respectively, with Petey playing nickel. Demps and CC will play safety.

That's just my $0.02.