no excuses for david carr if...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanFanInCC, Mar 14, 2006.

1. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

1. we have an offensive minded coaching staff (check)
    2. we do add john runyan to the OL
    3. we draft reggie bush
    4. we sign jeb putzier

david carr will have more favorable playcalling, a better line with better blocking schemes, a running game that should be really good, a recieving TE as the safety valve. with the recievers he has, the better blocking, the versitility of reggie bush to be used as a RB or WR, a better recieving FB jameel cook, and the offensive mindfulness of the staff...if david carr is not producing good numbers after week 3, do the texans make a change?? what happens?

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Now, wait a minute. Don't forget that we still have to give him 4 more years to see if all this works for him or not. :tomato:

3. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

No we dont. Bottomline if Carr gets the system he will be successful and if he does not then he wont. Either way in a year or two Kubiak will make the call. I am more worried about the defense. Offense most of the time puts fans in the seats, but defenses win championships. I want hardware baby... All I want is Carr to perform like he did in the first half of the Arizona game against a majority of teams and then sit back and watch the Defense finish the game off.

4. bkimble

bkimble Rookie

Dave Carr isn't a good QB, in fact he's one of the worst QB in the league. I don't understand you people. Get real. The two people who think Dave Carr is any good are, Charley C and Bob McNair. Why do we continue make excuses for this guy?

:redtowel:

5. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Because some of know he is better than VY, that's why..........

6. bkimble

bkimble Rookie

That's crazy! Dave Carr is better than Vince Young? Unbelieveable! Carr is the worst QB in the NFL and VY is the best player in this year's draft period, did you see the Rose Bowl? In two years we'll still be making excuses for Carr and VY will be the leading the Titains to the playoff. And as for as the wonderf___ test, what does a written test has to do with playing football; if you gave that same test to Charley C, he'd likely do well, however, if you asks him to evaluate a football player, lets just see:

1. Dave Carr (the worst qb in the league)
    2. Jason Babin (the worst first round pick in football)
    3. Phillip Bucannon (worst, period)
    Should I go on? Nay, you get the picture.
    :brickwall

7. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

That's what I love about this board. You go :fishing: here, and there will always be some guppy that swallows the hook.

:D

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

So you are asking him to do something more than once and expect him to do so even though he failed doing it a second time in 100 halves of work?

Just because a handy man has an awesome set of tools does not mean he has the most skill. :twocents:

9. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Come on people Jon Runyan is old overpayed and doesnt fit in our zone blocking scheme at all.

Yes Carr should improve this year but if you expect him to take us to the playoffs next year or even close to it you are sadly mistaken. Yes he has a offensive minded coach and possibly alot more talent around him but its still their first season together. Not a single player on our team knows what our playbook looks like.

10. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

bkimble, you're about 2 months too late. The other VY trolls have come and left already.

As for the original post - agree, the excuses stop after this year - assuiming what you noted above happens (or a close similarity - to have better play calling - coach or Carr, better line protection, and a few more recieving weapons). Just like the 2002 season, now is not the best time to bring in a new QB when the Texans have to make sure a majority of the surround pieces are in place first.

If he's not producing after week 3.... there will be questions raised (especially on the MB) but I think they'll stick with Carr longer - but there may be some behind the scenes discussion and possible avenues explored. Of course, depends on what the "production expectation" is. Are those numbers strictly Carr or the entire offense and how they're working together? I think a majority were happy with the steady improvement overall till "that year" happened... if they can get back on that track to where there is that steady improvement again, most will probably be appeased.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

:deadhorse

all I want him to do is stop screwing up.

12. CanadianTexansFan

CanadianTexansFan Rookie

As a Texans fan all the way up north in Canada, I rarely get to see my beloved Texans play. I have seen them in Buffalo this past season, and in that game, Carr was the only one playing with any emotion out there !!!
    I may not see him enough to get a really good feel for him, but I like him as a QB, and think he has some real skills, that Coach Kubiak can really bring out.
    He just needs a better O line, and play calling, and a runner like Bush to support him. Vince Young would not be a good fit in my opinion. Too many times over-hyped good College QB's fail in the NFL.
    So stick with Carr, and make this fan in Canada happy !!!:twocents:

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

If he has time (3.5-4 sec. in the pocket a consistant 85-90% of the time) and isn't getting crushed in 1.5 seconds, then I expect him to produce. It doesn't matter how good the play call is if ya don't have time to make it work.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

You were at the Bills game, do you remember the emotional play that is featured in my avatar? It still brings me to tears. :)

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

You're joking right?

David Carr, when given the chance to run our team (only happened for a half), set a scoring record.

He is far better than Kyle Boller, Alex Smith, Joey Harrington, Kurt Warrener or Josh Mckowen, any of the dolphins QB's, whoever Oakland has, who ever the Saints have, whoever the Vikings have, whoever the Cowgirls have, whoever the Bills have....just to name a few off the top of my head.

So outside of your narrow mind, most scouts and professional people alike believe he will be sucessful if given the proper chance.

I've got a test for you, if you feel like anyone can do this. I want you to go stand on 1-10 with a football, when a car is with in 2 yards of you, I want you to take a three step drop. If you last 1.5 seconds, you can consider yourself lucky and you might be able to roll out into the next lane of traffic.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Hold on a second professor. Is this your insight based on perfomance, forecast or hopecast? Far better? Check yourself before you wreck yourself. This is a bad arguement if you do not qualify, define and provide teeth.

17. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Me three. At least your otherwise lame argument was brief.

YoungTexanFan likes this.
  18. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Regardless of if he is good or a deer in headlights we will be seeing David Carr on the feild. We will be seeing Vince Young 2 time a year here and in tennessee. It will really get my goat if VY gets the ring for Bud But Knowing that VY is a Houstonian he just might tank the first 4 years and come to us when David has worn out his welcome. But untill then David Carr is the captian of this team and untill he is dethroned he will have my support. We are not getting Vince from what I hear from the people who know. So get ready for some Reggie ball and hang on. It will be a ride worth riding.

Go Texans

19. Frills

Frills Veteran

I heard about him at the combine...6 oops an astounding 16...I saw him at the White House...someone forgot muh suit...

The way he prepares and has great people around him is superb.

In college he could get away with talent alone, college isn't the NFL.

20. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I was basing my opinion on a few things: Watching the other teams QB's play, not just their team. Other team's fan base input that I've read. Professional's opinions and articles. But yes, I did throw in some of my own opinion. This is pre-FA. I dare yall to find a QB on any team I listed, pre-FA, who is better than Carr.