Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

No divisional ground lost, AFC wild card watch

TEXANRED

Texan-American
So as I wright this Indy scores a TD.

If the Bolts can hang on the Colts go 7-2 breaking down the division as follows:

Colts: 7-2
Jags: 6-3
Titans: 6-3
Texans: 4-5

This puts us 3 games back of first place with 7 games left and one more time to play Indy. Since I am one of many who feel that both the wild cards are coming out of the AFC South, we are only two games back from both wild card leaders with 7 games left and games yet to be played with both of teams.

So the Wild Card picture looks as follows:

Buffalo: 5-4
Cleveland: 5-4
Denver: 4-5
Baltimore: 4-5
Chiefs: 4-5

The Texans control there own destiny at this point. We already played and beat the Chiefs and own the tie breaker if tied at the end of the year. Of the teams in the Wild Card picture we still play the, Jags, Titans, Browns, and the Bronco's.

Jac schedule: SD, Buff, Ind, Car, Pit, Oak, Hou
Ten schedule: Den, Cin, Hou, SD, KC, NYJ, Ind
Buffalo schedule: NE, Jac, Wash, Miami, Clev, Giants, Philly
Cleveland schedule: Bal, Houston, Ari, NYJ, Buff, Cin, SF
Houston schedule:NO, Clev, Ten, TB, Denver, Ind, Jac
Denver schedule: Ten, Chi, Oak, KC, Hou, SD, Min
Baltimore schedule: Clev, SD, NE, Ind, Mia, SEA, Pit

Cleveland looks to have the easiest schedule out of all of them but I still think the Texans are better than the Browns, and can win out.

Every game is a playoff game from here on out, much like the Steelers team of a few years ago that started off the same way and won the Super Bowl.

First things first, beat the Saints at home next week, get back to .500

First 9 gms: 4-5
N. Or: W 5-5 (looks srtuggling)
Cleve: ? (unknown)
Tenn: W 6-5 (we can beat VY)
T. B: ? (unknown)
Den: W 7-5 (looking weak)
Indy: L 7-6 (pshh... yeah right!)
Jacks: ? (should be competitive)

We could still go anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6, depending on games marked with "?". I'd venture a guess toward 8-8, not enough for playoffs. In the all famous words:

"Playoffs?! You're talking about... PLAYOFFS?!"

Let's get back to a winning record before we talk about.... PLAYOFFS?!

Would you rather talk about how Mario being a "bust" or Kubiak is not a good head coach?

Lets face it, with AJ back in the Line up anything can happen. With AJ 2-0, without 2-5. Plus not to mention with the receivers that we have we might as well bring back the run-n-shoot. That system doesn't utilize a TE or a RB.

It would be something to see this team playing Jax, last game of the year, winner going to the playoffs, battle red!!!!! :texflag:

:fans:

What's interesting about this list is that all these teams have *issues.* A lot of unsettled QB situations and injuries. Lots of inconsistency. Any of these teams could crater in the later half of the season because of their particular issues, or they can deal with them.

If the Bolts can hang on the Colts go 7-2 breaking down the division as follows:

This puts us 3 games back of first place with 7 games left and one more time to play Indy. Since I am one of many who feel that both the wild cards are coming out of the AFC South, we are only two games back from both wild card leaders with 7 games left and games yet to be played with both of teams.

The Texans control there own destiny at this point. We already played and beat the Chiefs and own the tie breaker if tied at the end of the year. Of the teams in the Wild Card picture we still play the, Jags, Titans, Browns, and the Bronco's.

Cleveland looks to have the easiest schedule out of all of them but I still think the Texans are better than the Browns, and can win out.

Every game is a playoff game from here on out, much like the Steelers team of a few years ago that started off the same way and won the Super Bowl.

Let's face it you were baiting people to respond to this thread about how we should talk about making the playoffs rather than talking about the draft or mario being a bust. Well, in reality, we shouldn't talk about either. The Mario topic is old and we ARE NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM!!! Not even close. Evem with Aj, the Texans will be lucky to go 7-9... And don't accuse me of being pesimsitic or close minded. I'm just being realisitic. We're still below average on defense and maybe average on offense. We can't run the ball.. we have Ron Dayne as our starting running back. We get no pressure on the opposing QB and Matt shaub was a pinata before getting hurt.

Let's talk about the up-coming performances and how we can improve our team for next year, through free agency and the draft.

"Yeah, man, you are talking about winning?"

"Playoffs?"

"Who's talking about playoffs?"

It's one thing to be mathematically in a race, but reality is something completely different. The Texans still haven't won 3 in a row, much less have a winning record past Week 1 of a regular season.

Again,

"Playoffs?"

"Who's talking about playoffs?"

Nice to talk about but is a real stretch right now.

Let's see what happens the next 3 weeks before we have this discussion.

all facts and opinions aside, just talking about it as a possibility get's me SUPER pumped for next sunday.... as was stated.... first things first, NO next sunday.

Go Texans

great post by the way. rep.

While were on this we should probably go ahead and settle that nickname for the defense question too. That's another pressing matter that we've yet to find any answer to.

The only thing Texans related that I care about right now is pulling to .500 by beating the Saints. If we can't manage that then not much else matters.

For all my fellow Texan fans, the St. Louis RAMS just beat the Saints today so if we ain't better than the Rams there's something seriously wrong. Even without DR we can pull this off, the Rams got S. Jackson back so what?! We got AJ enough said....5 and 5 watch.:cowboy1:

I know...we are on the bubble, I always have hope.

But take this one game at a time. The Saints play no defense, and with a team that doesn't play defense means its a toss up. So they are VERY beatable IMO.

Cleveland's schedule is too easy to reckon with. I just simmed them.

BAL 5
KC 8
HOU 8.5
BUF 8
CLE 11.5
JAX 9.5
TEN 8

The half games came from what I called "questionable" with CLE, TB, JAX. If we split CLE and TB and win the JAX game and go 9-7, they'll still have us on the divisional after Head-to-head splits.

We have to go 6-1 to get in, 5-2 isn't going to get it done in the AFC. Probably unlikely, but atleast we're talking about it going into week 10.

Yea but for all ya'll that think our schedules bad coming up just take a gander at Baltimores, yea its makes our chances way better.:specnatz:

What's interesting about this list is that all these teams have *issues.* A lot of unsettled QB situations and injuries. Lots of inconsistency. Any of these teams could crater in the later half of the season because of their particular issues, or they can deal with them.

Exactly.

Jacksonville looks to be the only solid Wild Card team. Of course they look solid every year but this time they are Leftwhich-less. We also get to play them again.

The Titans are playing stone cold defense but if anybody watched the game yesterday you see what happens when they don't step up. (Not to mention Haynsworth is hurt and that puts a big hole in there DLine.)A QB who can't throw, receivers who can't catch, along with White getting hurt, there lack of talent on offense could come back to haunt them. So any kind of off day for the defense puts an L in there totals column. This is also a team the Texans play in less than a month.

Buffalo. Are you kidding me? How in the good Lords name are they 5-4? Outside of Lynch and Evans who else do they have? Certainly not the revolving door they call the QB position. Lynch is caring that team but should still be hitting the rookie wall soon. Then what?

Cleveland. This is another team that we play and have an opportunity to gain ground in the wild card. They are probably the team that is the most consistent outside of Jacksonville. Edwards, Lewis, Oline playing pretty good and Anderson is showing that he can sling it in there. There Defense is average to below so I would not count on them to stop anyone. Cleveland's best chance at winning is score score score which they have been doing plenty of, and not to mention there easy schedule down the stretch.

Denver. I hate Jay Cutler. People talk about Mario and how he came out of no where, well how about Cutler? He was an at best 2nd to 3rd round pick. Shanahan screwed the pooch last year when he replaced Plummer with Cutler. The same results from last year are carrying over this year. In a lot of ways this team mirrors the Texans, injuries, injuries, injuries, mixed in with no running game. This team also has a soft under belly that even Ron Dayne could expose. Only real difference is we have a real QB and receivers to throw it too. Did I mention we play these guys too?

Baltimore. No passing game, no receivers, an average run game, and father time caught up to McNair. But still, with Ray Lewis anchoring that defense, this team is never out of any race.

The Texans are in the mix, they are right there. If anyone needs to understand this its the fans. This upcoming game is a home game against the Saints, Reggie is in town and he is going to be pee-pee'd. We need to be in our seats on time, loud, and not leave until the clock strikes 00:00. This is effectively a playoff game that is very winnable.

all facts and opinions aside, just talking about it as a possibility get's me SUPER pumped for next sunday.... as was stated.... first things first, NO next sunday.

Go Texans

great post by the way. rep.

So, Barrett, does that mean that you may watch the game this Sunday? I know you've gone on a recent Texan-watching hiatus. Hopefully, it won't last as long as your decision not to stand for the National Anthem.

Exactly.

Jacksonville looks to be the only solid Wild Card team. Of course they look solid every year but this time they are Leftwhich-less. We also get to play them again.

They have some injury issues, esp on defense. And I am not sold yet on their QB situation. And I won't believe they are mentally tough until they show they are mentally tough.

The flipside of this is that at least they aren't absolutely awful at any of the three phases of the game. A lot of the other teams on this list are bad offensively or bad defensively and/or not reliable on STs.

The differences between wins and losses are very small.

Texans end up beating the Raiders. But early in that game, OD fumbles the ball deep in Texans own territory but the Texans recover and eat clock and move the ball. In previous losses, that ball bounces to the other team, the Texans get behind, over rely on the pass, and start getting teed off on.

The Texans need to hold onto the ball and not be ridiculously awful, blowedup coverage, bad tackling on defense. And they need some balls to bounce their way a few times. And I dearly hope AJ comes back as AJ. (I want to see Jacoby Jones look like his pre-injury self too--he still seems tenative on returns).

Given that the Texans lead the league in guys on IR before this last weekend, and who the Texans have been missing due to injury on a game to game basis, that we can even be having a very theoretical discussion about the Texans and the wild card is surprising to me.

I noticed that Houston was on the Bubble yesterday and got kind of excited. It'd be nice if we made the play offs. Anythings possible right?

I think we need to focus on the game in front of us all teams have areas to exploit. The ? week to week is can we exploit those weakness and overcome our own.
This week is the Saints so let's put all of the focus on what is the best way to beat the Saints!
:texflag:

For all who think that Indy will be an automatic loss, you must remember how they like to rest their starters at the end of the season. Also, many of their guys are injured right now. I wouldn't automatically count that as a loss just yet.

I honestly don't see this team winning more games this season. Not with the secondary we are putting out there right now. D Rob was probably the worst injury we could have on a defense that wasn't stopping a lot of people to begin with.

I honestly don't see this team winning more games this season. Not with the secondary we are putting out there right now. D Rob was probably the worst injury we could have on a defense that wasn't stopping a lot of people to begin with.

With AJ back in the line-up I see this Texans O as getting a lot more explosive. Sure, we might have to win games 43 - 40, but its a win.

I think we need to focus on the game in front of us all teams have areas to exploit. The ? week to week is can we exploit those weakness and overcome our own.
This week is the Saints so let's put all of the focus on what is the best way to beat the Saints!
:texflag:

The team needs to focus on the game in front of them.

We, on the other hand, can hope, dream and root.

So you're saying that right now, you think the Texans will go 0-7 in the next set of games and finish 4 - 12? Really? Not one game at all? I can see why losing Daunta Hurts a lot, but we are getting back AJ, whom you could argue was just as important to our offense as Daunta is to our defense. I think we can at least beat Denver. They look pretty bad this year.

Ouch I wouldnt say things like this out loud.

I agree, I think plenty of these teams could easily crater. The Broncos and the Jags seem to be the only strong teams. Plus as you say, they both have QB problems.

There's the spirit! All we have to do is score more points than they do. :fans:
Well, if you don't score points you're not gonna win the football game.
All wide receivers are delusional.
What?
You're delusional.
Run, run, run the ball, gently down the field!

Ouch I wouldnt say things like this out loud.

Yeah, I just re-read what I posted. I left out the word "many". I don't see the Texans winning many more games this season. No, I don't think they are going 0-7 the rest of the way, at least I hope not.

Anyone else notice how tough Jax and Ten's schedules are? I think if we only worry about divisional situations right now (forget KC, Den, Cle etc.) and we'll be fine. Winning those next 3 AFC south matchups would be HUGE even 2-1 in those would be awesome.

Well lets see who we have left...

Saints; (H) -- I believe we can win this one because I'm not sold on the Saints defense. However, the Saints will be out to make amends for handing St. Louis their first win.
Browns; (A) -- This game worries me. Its in the DawgPound and Cleveland has a good offense. But, like the Saints, their D ain't nothing to write home about. We should win.
Titans; (A) -- I think we can take them. We shouldn't have let them get away the first time.
Buccs; (H) -- They have one of the better defenses that we'll see the rest of the way. Since we're at home, I'd like to give us the edge but their D-line worries me.
Broncos (H) -- This comes after a really short week. I smell trouble.
Colts (A) -- If Dungy is resting his starters or his growing injury list hasn't improved, we may win.
Jags (H) -- We owe them a butt-whippin'

Looking at that schedule, its askin' quite a bit for us to go 6-1 or 5-2 the rest of the way. But if they were serious about this being a playoff year, that's what we need to do.

Saints might be without the services of their LT Jammaal Brown, which hopefully will make it easier for Mario to find Mr. Bush and Mr. Brees in the backfield.

Ind - 2
Jax, Tenn - 0
Hou - 1

Only 3 losses outside the conference. AFC South still leading this?

INDY sucks. Why do they have to screw it up.

So, Barrett, does that mean that you may watch the game this Sunday? I know you've gone on a recent Texan-watching hiatus. Hopefully, it won't last as long as your decision not to stand for the National Anthem.

I will be in attendance yes. I will stand for the Anthem but have decided to not watch the game. Just to change things up. It should be fun.

Back