No CBA good for Texans draft?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Apr 6, 2011.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Texans usually have few free agent signings from other teams & almost no history of significant player trades. Also, no CBA prior to draft freezes player movement for other teams. I'm hoping this benefits Texans.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

This allows the Texans to keep pace with the teams that are actually good at FA. lol

HJam72 likes this.
  3. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

It means a lot of the teams ahead of us will be picking based on needs, because there is no guarantee that they will be able to fill any of those spots through FA. So that means a lot of potential BPA picks will be better than usual, but sadly our team will likely be picking based on needs as well. Ought to be a good draft for the 16-32 teams.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

No. We needed FA before the draft just as much, if not more than any other team in the league

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

then if I understand correctly, at least two ea. QB/WR/CB & one LT should be selected before #11 if teams draft for need. Which drops plenty of front 7 help to Texans, leaving 3 to choose from off this list:
    1. Marcel Dareus
    2. Von Miller
    3. Nick Fairley
    4. Da'Quan Bowers
    5. Robert Quinn
    6. Cameron Jordan
    7. JJ Watt

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Ditto. :mcnugget:

7. powda

powda Hall of Fame

3 problems with the offseason working out the way it is and how it hampers the Texans:

1. Any team switching coaches or coordinators is at a disadvantage
    2. Any team with a lot of needs will be at a disadvantage (when free agency does start free agents will have more leverage then ever before - assuming it happens after the draft - contracts will be more especially with left over spite toward owner's)
    3. Presumably, this was the offseason the Texans might actually spend big.

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

The only thing that we can hope for is that other teams that usually are good throughout the season tank because they didn't get an offense. I am not really ready to see the Texans experiment with changing defensive schemes without a free agency period to speak of. :pirate:

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Anyone think a team will get nervous & trade up into top 11 to get a QB as it seems both Newton & Gabbert will be gone? I sure want Texans to trade down.

10. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    BB,

I'm like most others in that all I have to go on is what the talking heads are saying. They seem to think with all the teams needy @ QB and the top two being gone by then that there will be a scramble to trade up to snag one. I hope they're right. We might come out of this draft in pretty good shape. One can dream...:fans:

11. wildroot

wildroot Veteran

Sorta thought that would have been last year without the cap.

12. powda

powda Hall of Fame

No the GM's approached it as if there would be a cap back in place ,and any team exceeding what was expected would be penalized in one fashion or another.

Huckleberry likes this.
  13. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Rookie

The purpose of a draft is to get players that will help the team in the future. Since the Texans have done so well in this area (cough, cough), we should be expecting the worst this year (See how many TE they will draft).

The only way that the Texans are going to get any help what-so-ever in the Secondary, front line, etc. Is to put up the money for the FAs that will be available.

The draft is a lost cause for the Texans, seeing that the only players worth a damn to come out of the draft are Owen Daniels (injuries), Mario Williams, and possible Ben Tate (waiting to be seen).

Texans just need to front the money necessary on FA or buying picks, players from other teams (trade plus money) and stop relying on the abilities of there uppers to pick the right people in the draft every year.

powda likes this.
  14. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Kubiak has proven 2 things in his time:

#1 he is capable of selecting decent offensive players and scheming

#2 he's had to rely on others to evaluate defensive players and they have all failed. (The one constant in this has been Rick Smith)

Wade Phillips will have say over all defensive talent and thats reason to be hopefull. Some draft picks CAN actually help. Question is - did we pick the right coaches (all defensive) to pick our players?

I will go on a spree if we draft a tightend.
    :strangle:

Welcome aboard huck.

15. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Honestly, if I was Kubiak or Rick, knowing I'm on thin ice, I'd probably find any way I can to trade up in the draft and get a big time player that will make a huge difference. If it works out, great. If it doesn't work out, you get fired and it's someone else's problem.

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I wouldn't believe anything any team says right now. I'm also not sure that Newton will be taken in the 1st round, much less top 10. Teams are good at letting the windbags make their unofficial picks for them and play close to the vest. The Texans have a tough pick at #11. I would be hesitant, a best,to
    make a guess at who might be there and who we would take.