No. 32: Texans' best draft class

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

ESPN is seeding all 32 teams determined by each teams best draft Class. Then they are going to have a tournament based on these seeds. Its no secret ours is 2006... yet despite that class of 3 confirmed and 4 potential pro bowlers, we still landed the bottom seed while being the youngest franchise in the NFL.

Anyway.... here is ESPNs breakdown of our draft history,etc:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4008044

2. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Well you know your point system is flawed when Jerome Mathis is in front of Mario Williams....

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I like how they prefaced it with this: "Despite cries of protest from the Bayou City..." instead of this, "Despite cries from ESPN and the rest of the media..."

TexanAddict likes this.
  4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

ESPiN really wishes Mario was a bust...

5. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

This was my favorite part. I mean...duh! I don't think the Texans were ever planning on having him play a game in Houston. If anything, they made out by getting a 3rd pick for him from the Cowputas. But, of course, they neglected to add that little detail.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

In their defense, I bet they don't even know that.

They really do not follow us at all.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I don't have an issue with us being seeded #32 because, when you think about it, we've had the fewest drafts of any team in the league. what I DO have an issue with is there isn't any mention of Steve Slaton. How can he not even get an honorable mention when they listed the Texans' Top Picks?!?
    Dumb.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not

I think it's more of the "Reggie, since we spent so much money making you famous...could you at least get some tough yards like a real RB? We can't set-up games like we can a career in show business."

9. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

So, in the first two segments, they state that Demeco is our best draft pick, but rank Andre first in the last one. I love Demeco, but Andre is without a doubt the best player ever drafted by this team. Now, if they are factoring in where they were drafted, then I can see how Demeco might edge Andre.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage! I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!I refuse to get sucked into another b*tch session about our national coverage!

11. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I find it disrespectful, but at the same time we are the youngest franchise in the NFL. Almost every other franchise has put somebody in the Hall of Fame and we have only run about 7 drafts in our entire history. Not suprised to see Mario being disrespected by ESPN once again though. He will have to go through it for his entire career because ESPN has a full hard-on for Reggie and they always will.

12. Polo

Polo Guest

Jerome Mathis is our third best draft pick of all-time y'all

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Where do all those Lions drafts rank? They were awful.

14. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

Where the frick is Domanick Davis/Williams? Dude was a stud.

15. WolverineFan

They will always get a free pass because they drafted Barry Sanders. Always.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I guess... Like we'll always get killed for passing up Jesus?

17. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

That was the exact same first thought I had.

As for the rest. Well, its all pretty much crap. AJ is obviously our best draft pick, and Mario is obviously a better pick than Mathis (despite their flawed points system).

They seem to have missed out:
    - Steve Slaton
    - Domanick Williams
    - Dunta Robinson

And then there are other 'value' picks, that have been a good selection, for the round they've been taken in for (e.g. Anderson and Winston).

What this article is, is ESPN's 'Look We Can Count Up Pro Bowl Trips Without Watching Game Tape!!!' Awards 2009.

18. WolverineFan

To be honest, yes. As long as Reggie Bush is in the NFL we will get killed for not taking him. It is now admitted by many analysts that we made the right move by taking Mario, but that hasn't stopped them from criticizing us for the move. We passed on the godsend, Reggie Bush, and we will always pay for it concerning the media. That's my take on it anyway.

19. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

The system that they use takes into account individual awards to measure points (including hall of fame induction). The points for each award varies. Our 2006 draft has had a very nice start with some pro bowls, all pros, and a defensive ROY. They, or any of our other drafts for that matter, have not had enough time to write a full resume (Not that any of our other drafts even come close). You cannot compare what our guys might do in their careers to other teams draft classes who have guys that were 10 year pro bowlers or hall of famers. In 2006 we probably had one of the best drafts for any team in recent history so if ESPN decides to do something similar in 15 years then we will have moved up dramatically.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Barry Sanders, Billy Sims, Lem Barney, Charley Sanders,... the list goes on.

If you look at the criteria for ranking, there's no where else we could be but 32. Very little history.
    so I wouldn't call it a "free pass"; shoot, Barry Sanders probably has enough pts by himself to counter everyone we've ever drafted

10x Pro Bowl selection (20 pts)
    6x First-Team All-Pro selection (24 pts)
    4x Second-Team All-Pro selection (12 pts)
    1997 Co-NFL MVP (8 pts)
    1989 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (2 pts)
    2x NFL Offensive Player of the Year (12 pts)
    Hall of Fame (15 pts)

we just don't have enough draft history to compete with any team that's drafted someone with a career like that. But like Jackie said, check back in a decade or so after AJ and DeMeco and Mario and SS have hung 'em up. If they have the kind of careers we all hope they do, we'll be higher.

and btw, looking at the pt system it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers or Niners at the very top of this ranking

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009