Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nnamdi may be leaving The Black Hole after all...

Kulluminatii

Veteran
Here's an article:
Nnamdi Asomugha talks frankly about happenings in Raider Land

And a video:
CBS5.com - "CB Can't Make Sense Of Raider Moves"

To sum it all up, Aso is tired of all the bs that is the Oakland Raiders, and I could assure you guys he his gone, even if Davis tags him again, he'll ask for a trade or simply not play. The cutting of Hall was the last straw for Aso apparently.

So fellow Texans, lets pray we can get this guy before any other team, I wouldn't be surprised if the other 30 teams gun for Aso as well.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Oh, every team out there is going to gun for this guy. You can bet on that. I doubt that Mcnair will do what it takes and get competitive enough to sign him though. He just hasn't shown that type of commitment to going after top tier free agents like that. God knows we need him about as bad as anyone though.

It's a shame that we don't have an owner who will go all out to get him though. Mcnair is certainly welcome to prove me wrong though.

Kulluminatii

Veteran
Yeah, I hope he does prove both of us wrong. The Texans are so close to being "playoff material", I think all of us know that the D is what is holding the Texans back the most, and Aso could be that x-factor we need to win more games. Let's just pray that by next year, he'll be wearing Texan colors.:texflag:

Last edited:

MannyFresh

El Capitan
Oh, every team out there is going to gun for this guy. You can bet on that. I doubt that Mcnair will do what it takes and get competitive enough to sign him though. He just hasn't shown that type of commitment to going after top tier free agents like that. God knows we need him about as bad as anyone though.

It's a shame that we don't have an owner who will go all out to get him though. Mcnair is certainly welcome to prove me wrong though.

Maybe if we put David Carr's face on him he'll sign him.

bah007

Hall of Fame
You can NEVER have enough talent at CB. Hardest position to play in the NFL.

31 teams will be gunning for this guy.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame

Thats a little unfair, since we are gonna have to out bid the Cowboys, Pats, ect... for him. We would have to throw alot of cash OVER what they throw, and Dallas doesnt have a salary cap. That makes it hard.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
I honestly believe with a few intelligent moves this off-season the Texans can be a solid playoff team.

Cut Weaver and Greenwood. Say good bye to Richard Smith and bring in a Proven DC. Marvin Lewis is good as gone after this season and if he's still into coaching i would be elated if we landed him.I think we'd also do well to release Hoke from Secondary duties and Ray Rhodes go full time there. Draft an impact defensive player in the first round that fits into the back seven. Draft interior line help in the second round. I hope this year we don't draft another project player in the third round. Our last third rounder that we drafted that wasn't a project is doing pretty damn well.

I do think this team would do well to make ONE big name FA splash this off-season.I wouldn't be opposed to it being Asomuagh at all. We should probably Tag Dunta and see if he can return to full form long term. I think it'd be a great move for both sides.

I also wonder if Kyle Shanahan was pressed too early into OC duties. It might be a smart move to let him step back down to QB coach and bring in another OC. Gibbs should be fully relegated to OL coach. I think Steve Mariucci should be given a look.

Matt needs to come back soon.We need to evaluate what we really have and is it worth the extension next year. If not much as I hate to say it we need to start thinking about the QB position again.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame

I don't know how much of it is McNair's fault. I think it probably has more to do with Kubiak and Smith. If they wanted to go after one of the top guys in FA, I think McNair would be willing to pay the guy.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame

Why should we? Reeves has two picks and one was returned for a TD.

Signed,

Gary Kubiak and Richard Smith

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I don't know how much of it is McNair's fault. I think it probably has more to do with Kubiak and Smith. If they wanted to go after one of the top guys in FA, I think McNair would be willing to pay the guy.

You see which one is it though? I've criticized Smith for not being aggressive and they get people trying to say no Smith would sign all kinds of guys but Mcnair won't be aggressive. Then I hear people saying that if Kubiak and Smith told Mcnair we need him then Mcnair would do it. I'm sick of hearing the excuses between the GM or the owner. There are guys out there that can fill holes and we need to go after them when they're available.

The bottom line is that this guy is a stud CB that we need bigtime! I don't care who needs to speak up on it between ownership or management. It is a no brainer and every guy from Kubiak to Smith to Mcnair should be all putting their heads together to move a guy or two around or do whatever it takes to try and sign a young stud CB like that to put on the other side of Dunta.

And someone please tell me how the Cowboys could have more money to spend than the Texans do? I've been asking that question since the off season? They have a ton of studs with high salaries on that team. If that is the case, then we need to find a GM that knows how to structure deals better and move pieces around to free up cap space. I'm sick of the excuses and I'm not hearing them any more. If the Raiders let this guy go, we had better be after him. I'm sick to death of watching the Cowboys and the Patriots grab so many good free agents year after year while we keep trying this build through the draft approach. You have to do both to be competitive in this league. We need to go after Huff as well if he is released. I think that he would be a good addition to our secondary as well, and all of this will save us from having to use draft picks that might not ever pan out any way.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
well, lets look at it from this perspective.. Throughout Kubiak & Smith's tenure here, what players have actually been worth throwing Yankee/Red sox money at? I don't think too many. & just by virtue of them over paying for the garbage they've gotten over the last couple of years... i don't think the problem is McNair or Smith. i think it's kubes.

The only one that comes to mind at the moment is Nate Clement.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I honestly believe with a few intelligent moves this off-season the Texans can be a solid playoff team.

Cut Weaver and Greenwood. Say good bye to Richard Smith and bring in a Proven DC. Marvin Lewis is good as gone after this season and if he's still into coaching i would be elated if we landed him.I think we'd also do well to release Hoke from Secondary duties and Ray Rhodes go full time there. Draft an impact defensive player in the first round that fits into the back seven. Draft interior line help in the second round. I hope this year we don't draft another project player in the third round. Our last third rounder that we drafted that wasn't a project is doing pretty damn well.

I do think this team would do well to make ONE big name FA splash this off-season.I wouldn't be opposed to it being Asomuagh at all. We should probably Tag Dunta and see if he can return to full form long term. I think it'd be a great move for both sides.

I also wonder if Kyle Shanahan was pressed too early into OC duties. It might be a smart move to let him step back down to QB coach and bring in another OC. Gibbs should be fully relegated to OL coach. I think Steve Mariucci should be given a look.

Matt needs to come back soon.We need to evaluate what we really have and is it worth the extension next year. If not much as I hate to say it we need to start thinking about the QB position again.
Good post Golden. I think you've got some good ideas. The only two things I differ on is that I would not franchise Dunta but try and sign him to a respectful deal to both sides, something short term possibly, I wouldn't pay him $10 milsky for '09. Signing Nnamdi would be awesome, and I like the other ideas on Defense w/ Rhodes and the draft you have. I don't know about demoting Shanny though, I think he should stay OC.

The defense really is what's holding this team back. And the entire OL is what's holding our QB's back. If we give Gibbs and Kubiak the benefit of the doubt on finding their guys then we go heavy on defense in the draft. Sign a top OLB like Curry in the 1st, a top notch Safety or DE in the 2nd, and in the 3rd find a solid player like Slaton, Winston, etc. but on Defense that can come in and play. With just the first 3 rounds and Nnamdi, this team would be awesome on offense, defense and special teams.

Hopefully Smith can continue to find some quality defense free agents to come in, sign one big name (nnamdi) and draft defense heavy and it'd be complete!

Kulluminatii

Veteran
Nnamdi Asomghuah. Did I get it?
You were close, you get an A for effort.:respect: It kind of rolls off your tongue once you start getting used to saying it(Naam-dee Aso-moo-aaah), it has taken me 2 years to master it, but I've finally gotten his name down.:D

Texecutioner said:
You see which one is it though? I've criticized Smith for not being aggressive and they get people trying to say no Smith would sign all kinds of guys but Mcnair won't be aggressive. Then I hear people saying that if Kubiak and Smith told Mcnair we need him then Mcnair would do it. I'm sick of hearing the excuses between the GM or the owner. There are guys out there that can fill holes and we need to go after them when they're available.

The bottom line is that this guy is a stud CB that we need bigtime! I don't care who needs to speak up on it between ownership or management. It is a no brainer and every guy from Kubiak to Smith to Mcnair should be all putting their heads together to move a guy or two around or do whatever it takes to try and sign a young stud CB like that to put on the other side of Dunta.

And someone please tell me how the Cowboys could have more money to spend than the Texans do? I've been asking that question since the off season? They have a ton of studs with high salaries on that team. If that is the case, then we need to find a GM that knows how to structure deals better and move pieces around to free up cap space. I'm sick of the excuses and I'm not hearing them any more. If the Raiders let this guy go, we had better be after him. I'm sick to death of watching the Cowboys and the Patriots grab so many good free agents year after year while we keep trying this build through the draft approach. You have to do both to be competitive in this league. We need to go after Huff as well if he is released. I think that he would be a good addition to our secondary as well, and all of this will save us from having to use draft picks that might not ever pan out any way.
Wow, I agree with you 110%.

Mr teX said:
well, lets look at it from this perspective.. Throughout Kubiak & Smith's tenure here, what players have actually been worth throwing Yankee/Red sox money at? I don't think too many. & just by virtue of them over paying for the garbage they've gotten over the last couple of years... i don't think the problem is McNair or Smith. i think it's kubes.

The only one that comes to mind at the moment is Nate Clement.
Well Aso will definitely be one of those players that warrant the money spent on them. You know you have a good CB on your team when QB's try not to throw in their direction. I think Favre was the only QB so far this year to have "challenged" Aso a little, threw about 4-5 passes his way; I am fairly sure neither of them resulted in a 1st down or a TD.

It will be disappointing if we do not land Aso, but I will be pissed if the Cowgirls get him:brickwall:

texanhead08

All Pro
Lets fire Richard Smith and John Hoke before we bring in someone with that much talent. I dont want them screwing up any more players.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Good post Golden. I think you've got some good ideas. The only two things I differ on is that I would not franchise Dunta but try and sign him to a respectful deal to both sides, something short term possibly, I wouldn't pay him $10 milsky for '09. Signing Nnamdi would be awesome, and I like the other ideas on Defense w/ Rhodes and the draft you have. I don't know about demoting Shanny though, I think he should stay OC.

The defense really is what's holding this team back. And the entire OL is what's holding our QB's back. If we give Gibbs and Kubiak the benefit of the doubt on finding their guys then we go heavy on defense in the draft. Sign a top OLB like Curry in the 1st, a top notch Safety or DE in the 2nd, and in the 3rd find a solid player like Slaton, Winston, etc. but on Defense that can come in and play. With just the first 3 rounds and Nnamdi, this team would be awesome on offense, defense and special teams.

Hopefully Smith can continue to find some quality defense free agents to come in, sign one big name (nnamdi) and draft defense heavy and it'd be complete!
OMT it did take me a while to think about tagging before I posted it. Several thoughts went through my head. We all know Dunta is a gamer and has made it back from last year's devistating injury a lot sooner, then at least to me, back on the field. I'd like a bit more reassurance that he can return to full form and can continue to develop into a top tier player. Much as I like Dunta I ask myself, concerning contracts, what he is worth? Is he an Asante Samuels, Nate Clemens, type player or more middle of the pack caliber CB? I don't know how a short term deal would unfold or if Dunta is looking for a big payday. I don't mind giving it to him IF I think he can really develop into a true top tier CB. That's why if I was GM I'd fish to see what he wants deal wise then I'd have to consider tagging him for a year to see if he is really worth a bigtime contract.

I'm also curious about a guy like Lito Shepard.

I haven't heard much but I'm just not sure if I am sold on a guy like lil Shanny with all the questions surrounding QB and young offensive line. I think we do need someone to solidify the interior of the line bad.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
OMT it did take me a while to think about tagging before I posted it. Several thoughts went through my head. We all know Dunta is a gamer and has made it back from last year's devistating injury a lot sooner, then at least to me, back on the field. I'd like a bit more reassurance that he can return to full form and can continue to develop into a top tier player. Much as I like Dunta I ask myself, concerning contracts, what he is worth? Is he an Asante Samuels, Nate Clemens, type player or more middle of the pack caliber CB? I don't know how a short term deal would unfold or if Dunta is looking for a big payday. I don't mind giving it to him IF I think he can really develop into a true top tier CB. That's why if I was GM I'd fish to see what he wants deal wise then I'd have to consider tagging him for a year to see if he is really worth a bigtime contract.

I'm also curious about a guy like Lito Shepard.

I haven't heard much but I'm just not sure if I am sold on a guy like lil Shanny with all the questions surrounding QB and young offensive line. I think we do need someone to solidify the interior of the line bad.
Lito Shepard is always hurt....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Spot on Tex

Would you let Dunta walk if it freed up enough money to sign NA?

I would let DR walk

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors

The Cowboys are going to suffer for those contracts in a few years. They're going to be absolute horrible, just like the Niners were, and to some extent still are, after the huge salaries they had in the 90s.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Love this post. Most folks just say "Fire <insert scapegoat's name here>!!" without supplying any potential replacements. Hell, I was guilty of it when I was on my "Fire Richard Smith" tirade. ...he still needs to go, I just will stop posting it until I can come up with a suitable replacement candidate.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame

Because they dont have a salary cap... I know they do have one, but they keep giving more and more guys max contracts. Why not one more?