Nick Saban: Mel Kiper, other media experts don't have a clue

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Nick Saban critical of Mel Kiper, other experts who 'don't even have an idea'

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Just glad to see a coach say what people should already know. the draft, ya know the actual event, proves this every year.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Saban doesn't mince words .... and he's right , Kiper and crew don't have a clue.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Let's note that Nick Saban has a dog in this hunt. He wants his players to be drafted high (preferably after exhausting their eligibility) because it helps recruit future stud players. However, he doesn't want these players to dream of sugar plum fairies and signing bonuses instead of LSU's tendencies on 3rd and long. Mel Kiper and the like serve no purpose to Nick Saban.

And I say this while not being a Mel Kiper fan.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Cant argue with facts ....

6. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I get the impression some media scout is pumping & dumping on college players for the NFL on a game by game basis, and that that's what prompted Saban's comments.

I just like that he dumped on Kiper. :lol:

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK_ABNHjbk4
    If you liked Saban going off on Kiper, check this old-but-goldie of then Colts GM Bill Tobin going off on Kiper. This is about 20 years ago, and the Colts GM pulls no punches with his thoughts on Kiper. He gets cranked up at 'bout the 40 second mark.

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Kiper's main strength is he has almost an encyclopedic knowledge of the draft classes coming in. He can tell you about the no-name CB from a DIV 3 school that the Raiders just overdrafted. His analysis on actual player mechanics and whatnot may not be as good as others (Mayock, LZ) but he knows ABOUT the players, no matter who they are.

And Saban isn't "right". He's trying to hype up his boy McCarron who is not the best QB in college fb right now.

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The last media talent evaluator that I truly respected was Joel Buchsbaum. I can still hear his nasally voice in my head. His analysis was alway so good that I often pulled over to the side of the road or sat in my truck to hear it. I really miss that dude, because he was right way more often than not.\

***edit: just reading some stories about Buchsbaum, and came across the following (which I read years ago). It says a lot: