NFL's Gregg Rosenthal: Kubiak Leaves Door Open for QB Change

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by htownfan32, Oct 7, 2013.

1. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ubiak-leaves-door-open-for-quarterback-change

John McClain tweeted today:

2. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Kubiak would be a fool to hitch up to Schaub and go down sinking with him. I just don't think starting Yates would be any better though.

3. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Rosenthal's opinion is apparently based on this:

Best take this story with a huge grain of salt.

4. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

How so? Talent wise the two are similar. The issue is Schaub keeps turning the ball over and making horrible decisions. If T.J. can come in and run the offense and not do that then what's the problem?

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think people are just ready for a game changer at quarterback, not a game manager. Keenum seems to have the best opportunity to be a game changer, but Yates is probably best from a game management standpoint. Schaub is best if we want to keep giving games away to our opponents.

6. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I agree. My problem is the guy's who are automatically dismissing Yates, but propping up Keenum as the next Brady. There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests Keenum is a better option.

buddyboy likes this.
  7. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I've never been a Yates fan starting when he was at Carolina. Saw him a bunch of times there and was never impressed. He just doesn't do it for me.

8. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

There should be a rule on this message board that requires UH fans to declare their allegiance publicly so we are cognizant of any biases towards Case Keenum. :)

Wolf likes this.

9. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

No UH fan here, but I think Keenum deserves at least a half of a game. How could you see the throws he made and not at least be curious?

10. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Schaub is a known quantity
    Yates is a partially known quantity
    Keenum is an unknown quantity.

If you want <7 points a game, Schaubs the man at this point, add the pick 6's and you're crying.

Yates was ok as a rushed starter with no tape on him 2 years ago. Teams have his number at this point and he could probably game manage, but we know we aren't likely to get great performances out of him if we're honest.

Keenum, we don't know what we've got, the guy is an unknown quantity for opposition Ds too, which will give him a honeymoon period as far as game planning against him goes so long as he is capable of adequately running the set plays he's given, 18 months in and he should know the system by now and we know he's the more athletic.

It's a catch 22 with a wildcard that might work out at a gamble, anyone here think wrestling an 8-8 or worse would be a good outcome for the season? It looks like the best outcome given out QB situation right now.

Take the gamble, if Keenum comes up roses then great, if not I'd much rather we get a really nice pick for the QB we need than come to some sort of false respectability in our record.

This season won't be happy viewing anyway IMHO, might as well suck for someone similar to luck if we don't have the answer on the roster.

I'd love us to cut Schaub right away and absorb some of the cap hit this season if possible, then spend the saving of having rookie contract QBs on resigning the plethora of young talent we have coming up to major contracts and grow as a team going forward.

We can put a young QB in a fantastic position to succeed here, that oline ain't gonna be crap for too long either, the talent is raw but real.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Screw it. Just put in Keenum if for no other reason than to shut us Case Keenum koolaid drinkers up. If we lose, what's the difference?

12. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Please get off of this stuff. NOBODY is claiming Case is the next Brady. And if they are they're damn fools.

And to all those bringing up the experience factor when talking about Yates over Case, that doesn't work either. How much experience did Russell Wilson have over Matt Flynn last season? Kaepernick and Smith?

The best chance for the Texans to win, to reach the playoffs again, is with Matt Schaub. If/when the Texans bench Schaub in favor of either Case or TJ, this 2013 season is done. You can deny that all you want, doesn't matter if you're in TJs camp or Case's, the season is done if Schaub isn't under center.

UNLESS.......

the Texans make the switch now and go with Case and he somehow pulls out some Kaepernick magic. Highly unlikely, but a better possibility than thinking TJ will do it. We've seen Yates. He doesn't have it. He ended the pre-season in a photo finish with Case, even with all his "experience". You think defenders are sitting on the short stuff with Schaub, wait 'til Yates gets in there with his 4.5 Y/A.

But to make a change now means you're pretty much giving up on the season.

I don't know what has happened to Schaub but he has been a different player ever since he got kicked in the junk last Thanksgiving. But if he is not under center and unless he starts playing like he did before Thanksgiving, the Texans miss the playoffs this season no matter who is under center.

13. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Kubiak isn't thinking QB change at all, I don't believe. Unless he had TJ in there last night to evaluate his handoff abilities.

14. False Start

False Start On # 69

Or, a drip of pancake syrup.

HTown2ATX likes this.
  15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Who's gonna tell Rosenthal the truth?

16. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

Could be the next Brees though ...

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Why does everyone who is pro Keenum have to be a "UofH fan"? I am not a UofH fan and only watched a handful of his college games and I think he is the best option to replace Schaub if we decide to sit him down.

18. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

If I am the Chronicle interviewer ...

"So Gary, does that mean you are considering resigning as head coach?"

BTW, I am pro-Keenum at this point and I am not a UH fan. I think we know what we have with both Slaub and TJ. Since the season is going into the toilet might as well see what Keenum is going to bring.

19. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

If a change is made it means you have given up on MS. I have given up on MS.
    Have you?

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

If Kubiak were coaching the Patriots, Bledsoe would still be the quarterback.