Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL's Greatest Hitters...

Luv_ya_blue

Truth, Love, Faith & Obedience - Christianity 101
Who is the NFL’s All-Time Greatest Hitter?
Names such as Lawrence Taylor, Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Ronnie Lott, Ray Nitchske, Mike Singletary, and ALL those old dudes that played Back in the Day without facemasks immediately come to mind. But what about guys like Don Beebe that were small in size but packed quite a wallop? Guys like our own hometown boy Ray Childress sure packed some pop!
When I think of the guys I mentioned above, I think that they were paid to be fearsome and ruthless. So when I think of the All-Time Greatest Hitter…there is one name that comes to mind…
Earl Campbell!
Now I am clearly biased…but I think the licks he passed around the league in his few years, were second to none! He could run past you, or run smooth over you! He feared no man!
So who’s yours?
Here’s a link for your viewing pleasure of some great NFL hits…
:woot2
:muscles:
:bowdown:

"I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault."
Jack Tatum

a_tatum_hi.jpg

Do cheap shots count?

Any Jacksonville Jaguar player.:loser ....as long as the player he is hitting is out of bounds and vulnerable.

:coffee:

Alan Lydell, pound for pound the hardest hitter I ever saw on any level at any time.

Dick "Night Train " Lane....the clothesline. There was another little guy that played in that era had the wing hit. I forget his name...he would take his arm and bend it, like a forearm shiver...catch them in the larynx. knocked out a dozen guys with that hit over his career.

How about the guy that laid out Frank Gifford for the Eagles, 1959 championship game, Chuck Banardcheckski, what ever ? Hit Gifford so hard took him a full year to come back. And...Gifford, lost the whole week. He remembers nothing. That's a concussion, old school.

Jack " they Call me assasin" Tatum. I haven't heard of Darrel Stingly(SP) giving any dancin' lessons lately. That has to be the most vicious hit of all time. When he hit the ground I wondered if his head would come loose from his shoulders when they pealed the helmit off.

But the most effcient Hitter... was Deacon Jones. Lots of guys from the 60's still got ringing in their ears from the head slap move. Guy racked up some sacks with that move.

threetoedpete said:
How about the guy that laid out Frank Gifford for the Eagles, 1959 championship game, Chuck Banardcheckski, what ever ? Hit Gifford so hard took him a full year to come back. And...Gifford, lost the whole week. He remembers nothing. That's a concussion, old school.

You're thinking of Chuck Bednarik. That was a wicked shot.

When I first saw this thread, the first thing I thought was Earl Freaking Campbell. That time he nailed that Ram LB (I've forgotten his name) or the time he hit the Raider line so hard he knocked his ownself out but kept moving forward.

But... really... I think I gotta go LT. I mean, he ended Theisman's career and almost ended either Montana or Young's career. He put some killer shots on some people.

Just for consistency, I have to go with Dick Butkus. Every play was given 100%. Almost every tackle, he put them on thier backs.
The other names mentioned are solid too.

Who was the guy that met Campbell at the goal line? Earl still scored, but that had to be the most violent collision I've ever seen and the only time I ever saw anyone bring Earl to a dead stop....sorta. I'm thinking it was a Steeler. Shell or Blount maybe?

The Pencil Neck said:
You're thinking of Chuck Bednarik. That was a wicked shot.

When I first saw this thread, the first thing I thought was Earl Freaking Campbell. That time he nailed that Ram LB (I've forgotten his name) or the time he hit the Raider line so hard he knocked his ownself out but kept moving forward.

But... really... I think I gotta go LT. I mean, he ended Theisman's career and almost ended either Montana or Young's career. He put some killer shots on some people.
Isaha Robertson I believe. Ty for the help with Chuck.

mike moffat said:
Just for consistency, I have to go with Dick Butkus. Every play was given 100%. Almost every tackle, he put them on thier backs.
The other names mentioned are solid too.
I'll agree with that one. QBs feared him. Forget who the quote was from but it's a good one..."Most people hit the player tring to put him in the hospital. Butkus was trin' to put 'em in the morgue. " People ooh and ahh over Urlacker today, but befor DB hurt his knees he was like that also, he could run with the RB's and WR's.

SAMURAITEXAN said:
For pound to pound, Jack Tatum IMO.
"The Assassin".
The NBA had Tomjanovich-Washington and the NFL had
Tatum-Stingley. Though the circumstances were much different between each of the incidents, both were infamous in their own way.
And Tatum was definitely one of the fiercest hitters the NFL has ever seen.

Bullpen Drew said:
Anyone remember Steve Atwater nailing the Nigerian Nightmare??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIf3tERZck&search=christian okoye

Oh yea add Ronnie Lott to this list....

Great add, I pull that one outta da hat when they make up the Halloween list, players name ect. Pretty awesome what he did durring one of Frisco's play off runs. Keep the injured finger...miss the game. Snip it and you can play. "lose it doc". What is they say about the egg and bacon breakfast ? The Chicken is invovled, the pig's committed. I'd say RL was a very commited player for his teammates.

Back