NFLN: Player to Start A Franchise With

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by The Pencil Neck, Jun 24, 2009.

1. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

According to Warren Sapp... Mario.

That was a surprise to me. Of all the guys in the NFL, the guy that Sapp would choose to start his franchise is Mario Williams. He said you could see that Mario was getting it.

2. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

3. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Interesting question.

Not to turn this into yet another Charley Casserly bashing thread but.....

How stupid was it to start a brand new franchise with a quarterback?

In this sense, Sapp is dead right. And with Sapp's strategy in mind, who should the Texans have taken back in 2002 with the first overall pick?

JULIUS PEPPERS.

Brando likes this.
  4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

lol just watched the rest...

jamie dukes selects................... MIKE VICK! how does they justify employing a dope like that in times like these.

5. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Are you serious? :gun:

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Yeah, I kinda quit watching it at that point. LOL

7. False Start

False Start On # 69

That's just too damn funny. :spit:

There always has to be the guy that says something just to raise eyebrows and be the "yeah, I said it" guy, Jaimie Dukes seems to be that guy.

The Houston Marios... sounds good to me. :cool:

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

While I'm confused as to why this thread is advertising Minneapolis foreclosed homes, I have a suggestrion.

The opposing QB pocket shall now be known as....Super Mario World.

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

jamie dukes is clinically stupid keep that in mind.... after mario's rookie year he called him the second coming of courtney brown called him a bust and completely dumped all over him

10. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

The way I remember it, Carr was drafted after Tony Beselli was wearing his Texans jersey. I think had they known he would never play a down, they would have never used the 1st draft pick on Carr.

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Unless that guy is Peyton Manning. Qb isn't a bad idea but better do your homework on the guy and Casserly def didn't do his homework on David Carr.

Honestly much as I really like Mario and his place on the team....I'd take Peyton 10 out of 10 times.

However, it is good to hear positive stuff about the Texans especially Mario Williams. Really far cry from the 2006 draft and his rookie season. Can't help be proud of the young man and how he's handled the it all.

12. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I think your post just underscores my point that CC was an *****.

How did the Texans not know Boselli would never play another down?

I think it's pretty clear the Jags knew....

13. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

no one knew that was going to happen to carr he was a sure fire safe pick

and young all star QB and was projected the top in the QB class that year

me tho i would of started with the D line then O line then maybe get a RB first then a vet QB on the market

yes i wouldnt mean a win now type of thing but at least 5 years down the road u can safe u have a tough team

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Maybe because the NFL had independently said Boselli was fit while saying Roaf wasn't. Maybe it was a conspiracy of idiots.

Maybe because the shoulder that ultimately kept Boselli from playing was the one that was just "cleaned out" instead of the shoulder that was injured during the season. Not sure the Jags were looking to get their doc sued for malpractice.

15. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I have to say, I was excited about Carr in the beginning. He looked like Hollywood's idea of the perfect quarterback and had just had a monster season at Fresno State.

BUT, I think it's pretty clear now you don't start a franchise with a quarterback. And I think this should have been obvious to the boys running our team in '02.

16. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

The thing that I think is so great about Mario, and the reason Sapp probably picked him - is that we Texans fans watch all the games, and we watch Mario very closely - and we can all tell that as great is Mario is right now - you can absolutely see that he can get better - even MUCH better. Pretty scary... for the other guys.

False Start likes this.
  17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Not even sure you can say that for Capers' expansion teams as a rule. He tried the same thing twice. Once it flopped on the field and once it worked out (with a post playoff appearance off the field flop, now recovered) - we just didn't get the lucky side of that equation.

Who knows what would have happened with Couch if he hadn't broken his leg at the end of a play-off bound regular season and suffered other injuries to boot.

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Hindsight is 20/20. Its easy to go back now and say they were stupid for taking David Carr. After we won that Dallas game, I doubt too many fans were down on the decision. If it was so easy to predict which QBs would succeed and which would fail, the NFL would be a lot different. We messed up on a draft pick. It happens

19. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

I am no genius but was screaming at anyone who would listen that the Texans should have taken Peppers. I thought Carr would do well, but you don't start with a QB. You get a vet to babysit.

I saw Sapp pick Mario. But that Mike Vick crap...lol...it was quickly back to regular TV.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree! There's a part of me that would like to see him take a few Taekwondo classes to sharpen his hand and feet skills. A little Taekwondo and another "move" or two added to his repertoire would likely be devastating to anything in his path.

I need to remember to mention this to him if I see him out wheelin again. I always tend to forget crap that I want to run by him.