NFL To crack down on tipping off draft picks...

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by drs23, Apr 18, 2012.

1. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I sure hope what the NFL is saying here is true. It's perturbed me to no end to see the cameras showing the players getting "The Call" and the whole damn world knows before it's announced.

It might be only me but I'd like to be somewhat surprised and hear it from the Commish at the podium like it used to be.

Anyway, hope it's true.

dc_txtech likes this.
  2. False Start

False Start On # 69

Right on, I agree. It takes all the suspense and excitement out of it. I dont want to know the pick until Rog announces it.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

That pissed me off when Kareem Jackson was drafted. Then they just skipped us altogether in showing the hightlights.

4. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I hate it, but my understanding is it's a 'hey, want to come play for us call?'

Which 99% of the time isn't needed, but some times you have the Eli Mannings of the world....

5. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

good i think it will be better that wayyy

tho this time imma switch over to watch the draft on ESPN there pretty much a little less handcuffed then the NFLN

6. Naiirb

Naiirb All Pro

"The NFL subsequently confirmed it won't show draftees on the phone in the green room before the announced pick on the first night of the draft."

So glad they decided to do this, such a simple change but it makes watching the draft so much better. I can't wait till next Thursday!

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Nothing to do with this subject.

Goodell is the worst commish in NFL history. Who was a worse commish? He started with a gold mine that Tagliabue and his predicessors left him. Then Goodell made the the decision to crap on their legacy. The sad part is that the game we love is being ruined by a man that cares nothing about the game, but is a power monger/legaleese. (sp?) After the latest labor agreement that Kraft/BoBBy pushed through, is going to keep Rodger in power for a long time.

Aikman has it right, the NFL is following the path of MLB. It make take Rodger a while to get them to the level of the MLB. But he's doing everything he can to run the game that we love into the ground. Goodell is doing this as he's being instructed (like the great lawyer he is) by owners like Mara/BoBBy/Kraft all in the name of $$$$.

It really kinda makes me sad. Because the game I grew up with was the most action filled sport on the face of the earth. Action doesn't always mean points on the scoreboard. One of the best games I've seen in my lifetime was the Oiler/Steeler game on Monday night that ended up 9-6. It was a full intensity burtal game, with players being taken off the field left and right. That's when men played this game for the love of the game. God how I miss those days of the NFL.

Thanks for ruining all of that GoD'ell

SheTexan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  8. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

The second and third nights however...

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Thanks GoD'ell for no longer making the draft the focus of my party on draft Saturday.

The crawfish are still great though.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Agreed. Seeing these blubbering babies on the phone before the pick is announced ruined the surprise for me.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Today I was listening to NFL on Sirius and they were talking about the things they'd like to change for the draft:

More Mayocking : Leave the draft experts at home if they aren't going to give a complete detail of why this or that player is a good pro player like Mayock who provides detail of the tangibles the NFL requires.

Of course they talked about not showing the players before they get announced. That's the part I heard.

I would add:

Having draft coverage at some of these NFL sites that have draft parties like at Reliant. Go there and ask fans who they want or what they did or didn't like right before their team is about to pick or after they are going to pick.

Have coverage with every team coaches or GMs not just Baltimore, NYJ, and New England. When teams pick go straight to their war room and ask questions.

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

In response to Steelbtexan's Goodell post.

[​IMG]

And with the 26th pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans choose........................

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

My ideal draft day scenario:

Each pick is announced, and then the talking heads show clips of that player in college and talk about how he is going to fit into his new NFL team.

Next player, same deal.

I hate when they spend huge percentage of time talking about one player at the expense of the others. If I've watched to the Texans pick, I want to hear analysis of the texans pick. Not a pick 5 choices ago

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Exactly.

I'd also like more highlights of the players. You don't have to keep going back to show the faces of the guys talking on ESPN. Just show the highlights with their voices over it.

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

This.

If I recall, last year I think they showed a little bit of jj and was off talking about someone else. Hell later in the rounds, I think they went to a commercial break when the Texans were up . And had to see who they selected on the ticker :strangle:

16. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Yeah, that kinda pissed me off for a few years now. Now that we're getting a little more national media attention, do any of you folks think that will change?

17. cdollaz

cdollaz All Pro

To make the draft better, keep Chris Berman from being anywhere near it. His schtick got old years ago.

jaayteetx likes this.
  18. Rey

Rey Guest

I wish there was another outlet to watch the draft besides NFL network and espn.

I wish a local station did the draft. I'd like to flip back and forth and be able to get in depth coverage of the texans' picks.

19. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Just stay right here.

You will get more and better info than from any of the talking heads anywhere.

Stats, pics and plenty of opinions.:) Guaranteed

:coffee:

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I also wish they would not talk about vets or retired players, This is about the new guys being drafted. If they feel need to ramble between picks make it about those not drafted yet and only the next team on the clock.