NFL: Study Says Former Players Live Longer

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Rey, May 9, 2012.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

:thinking:

2. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Wow.

OK.

That was unexpected. From what I've seen of NFL retirees, they don't seem to necessarily keep themselves in better shape than the regular population. Lots of them pork out and get fat. And it always seems tht they've got bad health issues.

So.

Wow.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

What's strange is that their findings say that it's almost double the amount of deaths for the regular population :

Football players tend to be in extraordinary shape. They tend to have money so they can afford different things to take care of their health.

Maybe the deaths just get more scrutiny than the average person would? I dunno.

Not a whole lot of information there. I just though it was interesting what the NFL is saying...

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'd like to see this same study but only use starters as the samples from the NFL.

I assume they they are using backups, bench warmers, kickers and punters in this study. Those players might be influencing the curve to achieve desired results.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I can believe that the modern players are living longer. Just look at the Texans. A RD like Roberta Anding educates them on how to eat and live from day 1 in the NFL. They have more money than the early players and they all have elite health care while they are playing. The players are smarter than their predecessors also. It wasn't too long ago that the contracts for the average guys were much much smaller and only a few superstars were paid big bucks. Wealth gives access to expensive heath care. I don't see too many players interviewed that come across as ignorant now that Terrell Owens is out of the league. :)

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

No, this can't happen.

We need more players to die so we can make the game safer for Peyton in his fifties!!!

This message brought to you by: a non-bitter Texans fan (I promise). :)