NFL stat shows Texans QB Schaub steps up in clutch

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TejasTom, Oct 8, 2011.

1. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

The Texans' Matt Schaub received well-deserved respect this week when the NFL showed a statistic that measures quarterbacks under*pressure.

"Quality play at quarterback when the game is on the line" is the way the NFL worded*it.

In games decided by eight or fewer points since 2007, Schaub, 30, has a 99.1 rating - the highest in the*league.

In the last eight minutes of games, Schaub has thrown 52 touchdown passes and only 22 interceptions. He's the only quarterback among the top five with 30 more touchdowns than*interceptions.

"If you can manage your situations, keep your third downs manageable and execute the plays that are called against what the defenses are doing, you'll keep yourself in good shape," said Schaub, who has a 101.7 rating this season. "You have to be into what you're doing and what the defenses are trying to do to you, especially in crunch time when the game is on the*line."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...xans-QB-Schaub-steps-up-in-clutch-2208523.php

m5kwatts and Air Canada like this.
  2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm truly surprised.. But I guess it's all in how you ask the question.

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

No it isn't. Schaub has been clutch. People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result). It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.

Air Canada, Thorn and RTP2110 like this.
  4. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

He's always been clutch in my mind. It's the defense that's screwed him over. Look at last year how many leads he took in the 4th only to let the defense come and send it to hell

Air Canada likes this.
  5. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

Yah, I agree... A lot of the haters use the INT in OT in the Baltimore game last year as an example of Schaub not performing well in the clutch.... uhhhhh, doing well in the clutch got the Texans into OT to begin with..

These numbers don't lie, or mislead or anything... the factoid about his td/int ratio in the final eight minutes of games is impressive... If he's throwing in those last eight minutes, he's in the clutch... simple as that...

Now of course Schaub isn't some world-beater at QB, (and out of 32 of them there are only about six really), but you don't really need him to be... We have a great running game and now it seems we may have a pretty salty D (we shall see)... but I like how someone put it the other day, I think on the radio, that Schaub (paraphrasing) "is not in the top tier of NFL qbs, but that second tier? He's on top..."

Add to it that the guy is pretty good in the clutch, and this guy gives us a chance...

6. Air Canada

Air Canada Veteran

Games that come to mind...

Last Season... The Redskins and Chiefs games... Even the Baltimore and the Jets games... Even though we lost those... :cowboy1:

Also that Titans game in 09' or the Dolphins game in 08' I believe... huge drive in the waning seconds and clutch play at the goal line with the QB Sneak to win it.... And there's some others as well...

7. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Jags game last year also - the defense gave that one away also.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Yes it is.
    That don't sound like me........ I've got the Koolaide Kart.
    Well, again, that's not me.

It's not about the mistakes that are made, it's about when they are made.

I think it's painfully obvious that Kubiak is slowing the game down for us, especially for Schaub. No 2 minute, no no huddle, no hurry up... we tend to make goofy mistakes at the end of close games..... not just Matt, but including Schaub.

I think he's trying to work some of that stuff into him, Matt's actually been calling real audibles this year, changing plays & stuff.

Lower scoring games favor us, because we are less likely to err.... With the QB handling the ball more than anyone else, he's the main guy you have to slow down.

9. infantrycak

I said people around here rather than you for a reason.

Yeah and having the best differential in the NFL shows the perception of Schaub having some great when problem is wrong in comparison to the NFL as a whole.

And I think this is one of your painful theories. Pretty sure AJ and OD would disagree with you. Pretty sure the OL would disagree with you.

10. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I would like to know what the stat is for the final 2 minutes of a game when it truly is clutch. From the last 8 minutes to the the 2 minute warning is a little different than a final drive where you have to score a touchdown to win the game. Not hatin just sayin.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Good find, TT. Maybe much of the impressions fans have is due to the QB getting so much more glory and blame in a team game. QB's are judged on W-L's.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  12. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I agree our 2 min offense sucks, but I put that more on Kubiak than Schaub.

13. infantrycak

How does our 2 min offense suck? You don't pull back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter an NFL record number of times with a 2 min offense that sucks.

14. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Schaub and the offense drove us back into the lead late in so many games last year only for the defense to have a game ending epic fail or give the lead right back where Schaub had to do it all over again.

15. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

The biggest problem was the offense scoring too fast. If any time was left, the worst coached defense in the NFL could lose it.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

I've considered Schaub clutch ever since that game against the Dolphins a few years ago where Andre made that stupid catch and then Schaub ran the QB draw for the TD.

His biggest problem has been our totally un-clutch defense.

17. infantrycak

Which is funny because at the games there were tons of fans yelling at Kubiak to have the team move faster. Of course with all the corporate seats we have a ton of ignorant fans at the games.

18. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Where is panamamyers? :-))

19. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

Isn't it funny how if something is said enough times, people start believing it?

Our two minute offense may not be "great" (whose is? maybe NO?), but it for sure is far from "suck"...

Just before this season, bleacherreport.com released their rankings, the Texans came in at.......... FIVE! That sucks?

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/819746-ranking-every-nfl-teams-two-minute-offense)

at 4 was Atlanta (Matt Ryan, promising young QB), #3 San Diego (Philip Rivers- great QB) #2 Pats (Tom Brady- first ballot HOFer) and #1 New Orleans (Drew Brees- I think he gets in the HOF also)...

Granted, this list was made BEFORE this season, but with only one two-minute drive this year, can we really say it's going to suck?

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I would like to see more of the 2 minute O. From say....the 2nd play of the game. Our attack would be even better of we didn't give the other guys time to substitute and catch a breather. I very much hope we try this approach next week against the Ravens. Schaub is gonna need every edge he can get. TOP would suffer, but at least our QB wouldn't.