Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Safety Presents Formula to Defeat Texans

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Matt Bowen, 7 year vet NFL SS and regular contributor to at nationalfootballpost.com schemes out a Bears strategy that he advocates to take down the Texans.

[URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1111-bears-bowen-chicago--20121111,0,2751122.column"]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1111-bears-bowen-chicago--20121111,0,2751122.column

[/URL]
Bears' Dino stem could break Texans
Marshall can get isolated on cornerback and put him in difficult trailing position

To score points against the Texans' top-tier defense, Jay Cutler and the Bears will have to take some shots when they get into the strike zone (20- to 35-yard line). Look for deep inside breaking routes that target the secondary with Brandon Marshall as the primary read.

As shown here, the Bears have their Posse personnel (three wide receivers, one tight end, one running back) in a Doubles alignment against the Texans' base nickel sub package (five defensive backs). They will run the Dino Double Post and put stress on the top of the Texans' Cover-4 scheme.

Bears route scheme

The Dino Double Post is one of the top Cover-4 beaters in the NFL. There are two deep inside breaking routes to the open (weak) side of the formation with Earl Bennett (H) on the inside post and Marshall (X) adding the Dino stem (to corner, break to the post) on the outside post. To the closed (strong) side of the formation, tight end Kellen Davis (Y) runs the deep 7 (corner) route with Devin Hester (Z) on the shallow Smash concept.

Set bait for safety

In Cover-4 (four-deep, three-under), the safeties are taught to read the release and route stem of the No. 2 receivers (H, Y). If a No. 2 stems past a depth of 12 yards, the safeties match to the vertical concept. If a No. 2 breaks his route under a depth of 12 yards (curl, option, dig), the safeties look outside to No. 1 and drive to the inside hip on the post route to create a "bracket" coverage. However, with Bennett running the inside post, the safety (FS) has to match the route and leave the cornerback in a one-on-one situation versus Marshall. That's a tough assignment playing from an outside leverage position.

Be sure to read the rest of the article (link above) for the whole strategy that is proposed for the downfall of the Texans.

HAHAHAHAHA with the bears o-line, that sounds like a hell of a plan, apparently they will leave cutler no help either. Well well JJ will get an early thanksgiving if they do that.

The diagram is missing the part where a little square named JJ swats the little circle named QB to the ground.

Matt Bowen don't know ****. If Cutler isn't hitting short slants, he's hitting the turf. I see 8-10 sacks Sunday nite for the good guys.

Sure , in a perfect world that play design might cause issues for a defense .... But this aint a perfect world , the Bears OL has been pretty poor in protecting Cutler and I expect the Texans to amplify that trend.

They run a 3-4 on early downs but swap to a more traditional 4-3 / or more accurately a 5/2 on passing downs.

Actually, against a single-back formation like that, we could be in a 4-2 like Bowen suggested or we could be in a dime package (especially in passing situation).

However, I don't see the Texans playing zone unless they are 10 points ahead or it was like with a couple minutes to go in the half. Even then, we should play strictly 4-deep; that means the TE won't be double-teamed by Jackson and Manning.

Still in that situation we normally go Dime with 3 safeties (With GQ hovering)

That's what I said earlier, us being in a dime package. However, there might be situation where they run a no huddle up tempo offense to keep us from substituting and we have to stay in a nickel package that we started out with on first and ten.

that play dies on the board because nickel (mccain) would be man to man on H, not in an underneath zone. FS (demps) will be deeper and sitting in that area unless we're blitzing - in which case cutler would be sacked twice before that route develops. S (quin) would be man on the tightend, with SS (manning) roaming, blitzing, or deep.

Can't turn Cutler into Rodgers though!

Exactly. For the Beats to win tonight, Cutler and the Bears offense are going to have to have the game of their lives.

Our offense will do better against their defense than their offense will do against ours. Special teams could undo us if they don't get their fricking act togeather.

Exactly. For the Beats to win tonight, Cutler and the Bears offense are going to have to have the game of their lives.

Our offense will do better against their defense than their offense will do against ours. Special teams could undo us if they don't get their fricking act togeather.

I've been given no reason to believe that our heretofore slovenly ST will function more effectively on tonight's anticipated Slip-N-Slide environment.

Many of Rodgers throws would have been interceptions if Cutler was making it. Culter just isn't that accurate

Many of Rodgers throws would have been interceptions if Cutler was making it. Culter just isn't that accurate

Yupe. I watched the Bears/Packers game last night. Packers dropped 3 would-be INTs that Cutler threw - two of them were right into their hands.

They were leading by 20 early in the fourth quarter. A couple more INTs and that game would have been a blow out instead of a 13-pt win for the Packs.

That's what I said earlier, us being in a dime package. However, there might be situation where they run a no huddle up tempo offense to keep us from substituting and we have to stay in a nickel package that we started out with on first and ten.

Or they could run that type of play on a down and distance where the Texans are in their base defense.

Honestly I think the key to the Bears winning tonights game is their ability to protect Cutler who has taken a beating often this season and sustaining drives.

For the Texans , its going to boil down to making no mistakes on ST and protecting the ball - limit turnovers and opportunity for the Bears defense to produce points.

Or they could run that type of play on a down and distance where the Texans are in their base defense.

Honestly I think the key to the Bears winning tonights game is their ability to protect Cutler who has taken a beating often this season and sustaining drives.

For the Texans , its going to boil down to making no mistakes on ST and protecting the ball - limit turnovers and opportunity for the Bears defense to produce points.

We won't be in our base personnel against a one-back set.
Granted, they do use one of their TEs as a FB from time to time and can motion this guy to the H position. In that case, I see one of our LBs (either the Mo or the Will) bumping and staying with them. Both of them are rookies; we shouldn't have any problem there.
Our FS will stay deep to play the post route.
JJo will take care of the skinny post and anything to the outside.

As far as the rest, I agree. If we keep our mistake to the norm, we should have a great chance of winning the game.

I don't think McCain would be playing zone there either. There are only 2 receivers lined up on that side of the field, if one of them is Marshall a double team is the pretty obvious choice with McCain likely taking on the other option. The safety sitting over the top helps whoever needs it. How about the LC dropping? If it's really cover 3 or 4 and he's dropping, leaving his man for a deep zone the SS isn't going to drift all the way out of the play for a TE, letting the CB pick it up. SS now drifts over the top of the 2nd read, FS over Marshall. LBers suck up underneath routes. I don't know what kind of safety this guy was or how good he is at Madden but I'm really doubting McCain sits down like a good nickel corner and allows Marshall and Bennett to just run past him. And this is all banking on a bad news Bears OL to stop Watt and co. 6 blockers for 4 rushers? With Cutler holding the ball that gives the Texans 7 defenders for 4 targets.

I smell an interception.

Matt Bowen, 7 year vet NFL SS and regular contributor to at nationalfootballpost.com schemes out a Bears strategy that he advocates to take down the Texans.

[URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1111-bears-bowen-chicago--20121111,0,2751122.column"]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1111-bears-bowen-chicago--20121111,0,2751122.column

[/URL]
Bears' Dino stem could break Texans
Marshall can get isolated on cornerback and put him in difficult trailing position

To score points against the Texans' top-tier defense, Jay Cutler and the Bears will have to take some shots when they get into the strike zone (20- to 35-yard line). Look for deep inside breaking routes that target the secondary with Brandon Marshall as the primary read.

As shown here, the Bears have their Posse personnel (three wide receivers, one tight end, one running back) in a Doubles alignment against the Texans' base nickel sub package (five defensive backs). They will run the Dino Double Post and put stress on the top of the Texans' Cover-4 scheme.

Be sure to read the rest of the article (link above) for the whole strategy that is proposed for the downfall of the Texans.
I really hope they try to block our DEs with a LT and a RB. That chomping you hear is Watt and Smith chewing Cutler's legs for an early Thanksgiving supper.

Most journalists all say the same thing. Teams know what the texans run but we are so deceptive about it they still get burned.

Reminds me of the time a team used Hard Knocks or something similar to scout a team and it backfired so badly that the game became an embarrassing blowout. Hopefully that happens tonight.

More like our safeties are the way to beat chicago...

More like Dobbins layin a lick on Cutler .... probably saved that game. I have to wonder with the way the Bears defense played in that second half , if Cutler's still in do they win ?!

Best 15 yard penalty ever.

More like Dobbins layin a lick on Cutler .... probably saved that game. I have to wonder with the way the Bears defense played in that second half , if Cutler's still in do they win ?!

Best 15 yard penalty ever.

I didn't agree with that penalty. Cutler was clearly past the LOS, he's a runner at that point. It's up to him to protect himself & slide. If that would have been Tim Tebow, he would have put his head down just like that & blew up Dobbins... well, you get my point.

I didn't agree with that penalty. Cutler was clearly past the LOS, he's a runner at that point. It's up to him to protect himself & slide. If that would have been Tim Tebow, he would have put his head down just like that & blew up Dobbins... well, you get my point.

Would have been a legal hit .... If he didnt make contact with his head. You just cant make contat with the head anymore .... and more often than not , they are borderline or the runner tucks which causes the head contact rather than a shoulder or lower.

Im kinda on the fence about those calls .... but can see where the players health is more important than my entertainment.

That one , I thought was a legit call .... he hit him right in the facemask.

Taking Cutler outa the game probably saved this W because of how well the Bears D played in the second half , that was my point of it being a good penalty.

Would have been a legal hit .... If he didnt make contact with his head. You just cant make contat with the head anymore .... and more often than not , they are borderline or the runner tucks which causes the head contact rather than a shoulder or lower.

You can hit a runner or a receiver in the head, as long as they aren't defenseless. If they've got the ball & they're on their feet, you can hit him in the head.

When the QB crosses the line, he's not a QB unless he slides. His head is fair game.

that KJ INT was sweet that chart does not show a CB running with his man but then letting him go only to run to the left and double team another WR

sometimes u gotta feel or read the QB and when his arm is cocked at or staring down a reciver u can gamble and creep on another reciver

You can hit a runner or a receiver in the head, as long as they aren't defenseless. If they've got the ball & they're on their feet, you can hit him in the head.

When the QB crosses the line, he's not a QB unless he slides. His head is fair game.

That leaves uswith one of two options:

1) The refs blew that call.

2) Your interpretation of the rule is incorrect.

Either is plausable considering ....

That's a good point. I didn't look at it that way.

it dont matter he is a QB and they call will go against the defense 9 out of 10 times. To me it wasnt an illegal hit, cutler put his head down and dobbins "appeared" to let up.

Gotta be careful playing in the Powder Puff League now days.

Back