NFL Rookie of the Year: Outright odds

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Heath Shuler, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

NFL Rookie of the Year: Outright odds

Mon, Jul 2, 2007By Covers.com staff

Odds to win the 2007-2008 NFL Rookie of the Year:

Calvin Johnson +400
    Adrian Peterson +600
    Marshawn Lynch +700
    JaMarcus Russell +750
    Joe Thomas +1100
    Brady Quinn +1100
    Dwayne Bowe +1100
    Dwayne Jarrett +1300
    Craig Davis +1300
    LaRon Landry +1300
    Patrick Willis +1300
    Steve Smith +1300
    Ted Ginn Jr. +1300
    Sidney Rice +1600
    Gaines Adams +1600
    Greg Olsen +1600
    Anthony Spencer +1600
    Anthony Gonzalez +1600
    Leon Hall +1900
    Jarvis Moss +1900
    Robert Meachem +1900
    Michael Griffin +2100
    Paul Posluszny +2100
    Lawrence Timmons +2100
    Jamaal Anderson +2100
    Brandon Jackson +2100
    Brian Leonard +2100
    Reggie Nelson +2300
    Amobi Okoye +2600
    Brandon Merriweathe +3100
    Jon Beason +3100
    LaMarr Woodley +3100
    Field (Any Other Player) +750

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=143333

2. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

A Detroit Receiver winning offensive ROY...... I think I have heard that before...

3. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

DROY - Patrick Willis -

Defense was shaky at times last year but the offense showed life. Tehy added secondary help and this kid can flat out play. Will have his hands full in that division though with Shaun Alexander, Edge, and Stephen Jackson.

OROY- Dwayne Jarrett -

Might be a bit out on a limb here with this one. But Panthers don't have any other second options that i know of at WR. He'll see a lot of PT for that reason early on. Great complimentary receiver to Steve Smith's game.

4. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

OROTY: Calvin Johnson. Can't go wrong with a WR in a Mike Martz system. Mark Furrey got 1000 yards!

DROTY: Lawrence Timmons. The pass rushing LB in Pitt's system will always put up good numbers.

5. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

But Carolina doesn't have ANY QB's that can get the ball to a WR.....

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

What in the world are you talking about? They have the guy we should never have let go.

:sarcasm:

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Jake Delhomme has been averaging 23 TD's a year since he as been a starter at Carolina and he has completed 60% of his passes.....he's a pretty good starter if he is healthy and has protection.

8. Goldensilence

I was going to say I don't know why people insist on throwing the guy under the bus. He's been a pretty productive starter there and IMO the problem has been having someone solid consistently across from Steve Smith. Jarrett fills the void well and is a big receiver who could go up for the ball in the endzone. I just think of all the rookies he's going to be put in a good situation where he can put up some good number and make an immediate impact.

Calvin is going to get his no doubt though. Prolly more TD's then Lions wins.

9. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I am going with patrick Willis too. He reminds me of Meco.
    I thought about Peterson but will take Lynch. Rb is pretty much a plug in position and Lynch can run and catch. There is no other back in Buffalo(Peterson will split with Chester in Minne like Bush split with Deuce) and they will need to handoff and toss him the ball a lot. He can rack up a ton of yards and thats what people will see when voting.

10. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I'm thinking Woodley will have a good shot at winning DROY honors, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Willis, Spencer, or Beason get it either.

As far as the OROY I think Brandon Jackson has a pretty good chance of giving Peterson some good competition for the award if he wins the starting job for the Packers. However, I think Peterson will walk away with the award in the end.

11. Il_Bruno

Il_Bruno Veteran

the thing about petterson is he's in a timeshare with chester taylor, and while he has a ton of talent taylor has proved himself, and he also proved he could handle quite a load as well (he did wear down towards the end of the year, but he was carrying the vikings offense). If petterson were in more of a lead role then i think it would almost be a runaway in his favor though.

Im liking lynch a lot this year, but i cant see how calvin johnson doesnt put up some numbers across from roy williams. If that o-line can hold for even a little bit one of them should be open

12. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

mario williams will be rookie of the year (he came out early last year) :heh:

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

As much upside as CJ has, its difficult to see him outshing Roy Williams as a rookie since Williams, a tremendous talent in his own right, wiil be a 4th year vet this year in the NFL.
    Barring injury, Adriane Peterson is the guy to watch IMO. I dunno, how many
    years since a running back with this guys talent has come in the league ?

14. Goldensilence

last year? :P

15. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Offensive Rookie of the Year has lost its luster due to the award being given to QB Vince Young last year instead of a much more deserving RB Maurice Jones-Drew or WR Marques Colston.

16. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Maybe I'd just still annoyed, but I agree with you entirely.

17. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I'm thinking Peterson takes Taylor's job from him by week 6 at the latest. I don't think Brad Childress will be able to keep the guy off the field any longer than that. Taylor is a good back, but on most teams he'd be a solid #2 or 3rd down type of back. Not trying to take anything away from Chester, but Peterson has the talent and instincts to be an every down type of back and a player you build your franchise around.

It will probably end up being some no name late round pick who emerges as a star & wins the OROY.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'm pulling for Jacoby Jones (ROY) & Amobi Okoye (DROY) :homer:

have two rookies from the same team ever won before? probably not, but both come into great situations. Amobi should benefit from the extra year of expereince & improved health of Mario Williams, not to mention the d-line was virtually played like musical chairs. Jacoby should benefit greatly by the addition of Schaub, a more diverse offensive attack & the #2 WR position his for the taking :)

Wolf likes this.
  19. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I think that Levi Brown may turn some heads. From what I've heard, he's tearing it up and handling the job very well up in Arizona. Good enough for them to make some adjustments and cuts to their line. Milford Brown was cut I believe and the competition between Oliver and Levi has been outstanding up to this point. Neither has the inside track and that's how good it is. If Levi takes the job and does it, I think he just very well may be the OROY. For some reason offensive linemen have been getting some much needed attention and recognition for their efforts in running a football team. People are beginning to understand just how important they are to the success of a NFL team.

For what it's worth, I never felt that the Texans should have taken Levi Brown. I was one who felt that he was being overvalued and would have been a reach at #10 if he were available.

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I like your thinking! Way to think outside the box!

However, I must disagree with you. Levi brown will not win the OROY award. Marcus McNeil had about as good a year as anyone could have at LT and he finished a distant 4th in the OROY voting. The reason is that he doesn't play a "sexy position". If you don't hear about him, that probably means he is doing his job. Whereas the guy I picked(Lynch) plays as a RB and basically has every opportunity to win it. People see him catchng the ball, and running the ball, but they rarley see the Big Uglies up front doing the dirty work.