NFL Reinstates Ricky Williams

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Brando, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

ESPN

2. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I guess the Dolphins have his rights still? If he could stay away from the wacky tobaccy, he will be a good pick for someone.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

not sure how effective he'll be at this point. he's getting up there in age and hasn't played in a bit.

4. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Yeah, but his age isn't a huge issue cause he hasn't played much. I would think that the bigger issues would be desire and if he is anywhere near game shape.

5. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

I would think it might take most of the remaining season for Ricky to get into the kind of shape he needs to be in to contribute on the field. Running on a treadmill is not the same as stepping onto the field and running hard, taking hits, and getting knocked down, play after play.

6. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

If Ricky kept himself in shape, then I think he can still help out their running game. His age is definitely a concern, but can also help him since he has not had a lot of phyical contact as compared to others his age.

7. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I can see someone giving him a look at the Vet minimum with a conduct clause attached but other than that I can't see a lot of teams trying to jump on him especially if the Fins have first rights and if any team would owe them to pick him up.

8. MeLoveTexans

MeLoveTexans All Pro

whoever picks him up can probably pay him by the ounce

9. I know this has been discussed before but Ricky will apparently be reinstated and able to play by week 12 (which is when Ahman will have his next knee problem assuming he plays this week) and if the Dolphins decide to cut him what would yall think of him returning to Texas??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3109760

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

nononoonononononono

11. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

That would be atrocious... pay him in Golden Seal so that he at least has a chance to stay on your roster through seasons end.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

He's smoked the evil weed. We can't be having that kind on our team.

:sarcasm:

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I keep seeing talk about his age but the man has "played" in only 6 seasons and saw what I'd characterize as "heavy use" in only two of them (and I doubt he gets many miles put on him during the remainder of this year).

The guy has never been considered injury prone and he's going to be 31 years old if and when he starts play next season. The only problem with Ricky is the obvious one. He's got issues and is liable to light up and leave you in the lurch.

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm all for it and I'd like to see the Texans do something they rarely if ever do. I'd like to see them do something smart for a change.

If I'm making the call in a scenario where I can sign Ricky Williams I do it and then I get in front of a camera and with a perfectly straight face I say that I'm bringing Ricky "Home" to Texas where he can put his life and his career back together. I talk about his great career at UT and I talk about how the Texans are going to give this man a chance. Doesn't everybody deserve a chance to undo a mistake or to correct their course in life? Certainly the Houston Texans are known for bringing in only players of exceptional character (I almost said "high character" but caught myself) but now you're going to see the Texans do more than that. You're going to see the Texans get involved in helping this man while he helps us. In the past the team has made mistakes with personnel from time to time but this isn't one of them. This allows Ricky Williams a chance to bring his career to a close on a high note in the state he began it while giving the Texans a legitimate running back at a reasonable cost while doing a truly good and Christian (Rick Smith pauses to wipe the tear from his eye) act to help a man who needs a hand up.

Then I'd get in my car with a UT cap subtley placed in view on the back dash and drive off.

drewmar74 likes this.
  15. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure he isn't in game shape. Hell, he probably isn't even in good shape.

16. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

wasn't he playing CFL? If I remember correctly he was doing really well in that.

17. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

*stands and applauds*

18. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

he was going alright till he broke his arm....

19. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

A made for TV announcement - I can just see McClain now. I'm with you - I think, if he is in any kind of shape at all - we take him. Goodness knows it would help.

20. ChildressTitanMan

ChildressTitanMan Veteran

I wouldn't take a chance on him.

I read that he only played in the CFL because he was practically broke. He didn't exactly 'light it up' over there.

It would be great for him to prove the doubters wrong but IMO he's only going to be going through the motions as a RB to get a pay check.