NFL reaches agreement with L.A. Coliseum

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Vinny, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9035783

2. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

I wonder if its going to be the Jags or the Saints?

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Wow, while I realize there are practical concerns about TV revenue, etc. I would think a lot of cities could be po'd about paying for stadiums to get or keep teams and then having the NFL pay for LA to take someone else's team. Like $500 mil wouldn't make the Saints happy in NO. People can talk down on Benson wanting to move after Katrina, but he said it before--this should be a bigger slap in the face to them.

4. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I don't think the NFL should be financing a stadium. If Los Angeles wants a team, they can upgrade the stadium themselves. Last time I checked Los Angeles is not a poor city.

5. Don'tHate

Don'tHate Rookie

It won't be the Jags....the ship has come and gone...get over it :deadhorse

6. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Yeah, I think Jax got their issue figured out. Saints or Vikes maybe? Maybe I'm off, but wasn't there also a mention back when Houston got theirs from Tags that he noted that there may be one more expansion but it was to be much later?

I think Cards, Colts got their new stadium. Jets didn't... wait, I think they and the Giants are getting a new one to share.

7. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

No possible way its Minnesota.

8. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

The Los Angeles Saints!

9. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

what about the chargers?

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Man, I hope it's not the Saints. I understand from a purely business perspective, but that just sucks to lose a team due to a natural disaster.

Why not the Vikings? Did they get a stadium deal, yet?

I agree 100%. I hate all the fawning that LA gets by the NFL. The city seems to care less, but the movement persists regardless.

I'm sure my dislike is leftover residue from the games the NFL played before Houston was awarded a team, but still, LA DOES NOT CARE!!!...

ps. PLEASE - NO MORE EXPANSION TEAMS!!! 32 IS PERFECT!!! :ok:

11. HardCoreTxn

HardCoreTxn Veteran

1st the Lakers now the Vikings, Ive believed this for a couple of years. I think the Saints will relocate (hopefully to San Antonio) and New Orleans will get one of the expansion teams in a few years once it rebuilds.

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

San Antonio is not getting a team. Paul Tagliabue has repeatedly said that they do not want to add another small market team.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think it probably will be the Saints but I wouldn't say that it sucks to lose a team to a natural disaster. Katrina just accelerated what was already in progress. A few years ago after Houston got the Texans and the NFL started talking about moving a team to L.A. we all began hearing about the likely franchises to move. The Jags were mentioned and the Colts were talked about. The Vikings got some attention and the Saints did too. I'm probably leaving somebody out (didn't they talk about the Chargers moving up there at one time when they wanted improvements to their house?) but basically there were a bunch of teams that "could" move to L.A.

One by one they all got their deals done in their home towns. The Saints didn't get a deal done with New Orleans. It was just a matter of time after those other teams came off the table.

Katrina won't be what cost New Orleans the Saints. If anything it makes it tougher to move them out of New Orleans but the NFL was probably going to do it anyway and, after a suitable amount of time talking about how bad a situation this is they'll probably still do it. In the end the Saints fans will get the same treatment that Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland, Saint Louis, L.A., and Houston fans got before them. Katrina won't take their team, the owners will.

14. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

tulexan may be have a new job in predicting the future

Not saying a definite... but I think someone may be moving to a new frontrunner.

15. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i believe san diego will be the team moved to L.A. because we all know that l.a. is a city that will not support a losing team...the chargers are a competitive team and will be better once they get a big-time reciever there...which will happen probably in next years draft...moving the saints would make sense money-wise but it would only be a matter of time before new orleans is demanding another team called the saints...i personally do not believe you can move the saints from new orleans...they're the only town that the saints make sense...the team fits that city's personality

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Moving the Chargers to L.A. would also keep teams in the right divisions geographically, whereas moving the Saints would change that a bit. The Saints could end up moving to San Antonio if the league decides that San Antonio is worthy of a team, and I think the league will end up moving the Saints as New Orleans realistically cannot support a team now and probably not in the near future either, just the timing of moving a team away from them this year would not be right.

17. DRIFTAWAY

DRIFTAWAY All Pro

sounds like the NFL wants to put a team in L.A. more then L.A. wants a team put in L.A.

18. Tha rizzock

Tha rizzock Rookie

bills and chargers

19. LikeABoss

LikeABoss All Pro

You speak the truth...

20. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

The Bills are an outside possibility too.