NFL Random Thought of the Day

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Sep 11, 2011.

1. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Wonder what Gaines plan is concerning our backup QB? Free agent, someones PS or draft a prospect?

Gotta get over the "have to have a veteran backup" fetish.

Anyone's guess I suppose.

:coffee:

2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Right because the whole world knows it's a bluff.
    After a team tags a player how long do they have to rescind the designation, is it all the way up until the regular season games start ?

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

At any time unless it's signed. Once signed they're hooked.

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

absolutely the best part of the superb owl "game"

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

6. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Cincinnati Bengals have hired James Casey to be TE coach..

Good for him, good dude.. I hope he has a great coaching career. I'm going to keep a eye on him. They guy basically played his entire career in Kubiak's system, so I bet he at least knows how to utilize TEs..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    austins23 and Mollywhopper like this.
  7. CloakNNNdagger

Report: Nick Foles informing Eagles he is voiding option
    Posted by Charean Williams on February 5, 2019, 8:53 PM EST

Well, that didn’t take long.

Not long after a report came out that the Eagles have informed Nick Foles they are exercising the $20 million option on his contract comes word that the quarterback is informing the Eagles he is voiding the option, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Both moves were expected, with Foles paying the team $2 million to buy back his freedom.

The Eagles now can place the franchise tag on the backup quarterback in hopes of trading him. The franchise tag for quarterbacks is expected to be around $25 million for next season, with the window for use of the tag opening Feb. 19.

Foles must sign the tag for the Eagles to trade him.

The price for Foles is expected to be around the third round, Schefter reports.

By placing the franchise tag on Foles and seeking a trade, the Eagles control where Foles ends up. The Giants and Washington both likely enter the offseason in the market for a quarterback. So Philadelphia can keep Foles from ending up with an NFC East rival.

Lucky and JB like this.
  8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm trying to understand how Foles will recoup the $2 million. He knew by voiding the option the Eagles will place the franchise tag on him. No team will sign Foles to an offer sheet and lose 2 #1 picks. The Eagles will trade Foles, but not before Foles agrees to a contract extension with the team trading for him. Maybe the $5 million difference between the contract option and franchise tag could put more pressure to make a trade. But, I doubt the Eagles want to bring Foles back and create another QB controversy. Seems like Foles should have kept the $2 million and let this play out.

9. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 RickSmithSUX

thought that was weird too. if I were the Eagles I'd waive the $2MM as a gesture of good will to the guy that brought them a title. easy for me to say, it's not my 2MM.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Could be he's trying to force them to use the tag?

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

But why? The Eagles are definitely trading Foles, and definitely not in the division. Foles will get to pick any other team, because his suitors will only pull the trigger if he agrees to an extension. I don't see how this would have played out any differently had Foles accepted the $20 mil option and kept the $2 million in his pocket. He's not one of those guys who is self representing, is he?

12. Max

Max All Pro

I think you're right about the 5MM more pressure it puts on the Eagles to trade him on the off chance that they would have kept him on the 20MM contract. But I agree that if he let it play out, he would have gotten the same thing (traded) and would have gotten to keep the 2MM. Seems like 2MM to get 100% assured he gets traded rather than keep the 2MM and be 98% sure he would get traded. He REALLY wants out but probably not the smartest thing to do.

Lucky likes this.
  13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think all of these moves signal Foles to the Jags. Which will make the AFC South the most competitive division in the NFL.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Holy cap hell! The Eagle are already $16 million over the predicted cap before the new league starts. How did their front office think they could afford to pickup Foles option, much less a franchise tag? Hell, Foles just did the Eagles a favor by buying back that option year.

steelbtexan, OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  17. CloakNNNdagger

Vince Young on DWI arrest: 'Just an allegation, I'm not guilty'
    Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Feb. 9, 2019 Updated: Feb. 9, 2019 8:38 p.m.

Young was arrested at 4:30 a.m. Monday and discharged from jail on a $500 bail.

Young allegedly had slurred speech, a strong odor of alcohol and failed all sobriety tests, according to police.

"I've got a real good lawyer, one of the best in the country," Young said Saturday during a Tristar Productions autograph show at NRG Arena. "We're going to fight the case. It's just an allegation. I'm not guilty."

The Houston native has been arrested twice for driving under the influence in the past three years.

In this latest arrest, Young's black Cadillac was parked with his hazard lights on at the intersection of Sienna Parkway and Sienna Ranch Road. The arresting officer said when he pulled over to assist Young, he opened the window before closing it again.

In January of 2016, Young was arrested for driving while intoxicated in Austin. He pleaded no contest and was fined $300 and given 60 hours of community service.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Public interest is too damned nosy at times

ObsiWan likes this.
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Orlando Brown

Highest pass blocking rating of all rookie OT's

0 sacks, 1 QB hit allowed in 760 snaps.

Think the Texans could've used some of this?

I compare Trent Brown to Orlando Brown. Not the most gifted athlete but good enough of an athlete with his huge body that pass rushers cant get around them in 3 to 4 seconds. Once they get their hands on you it's over. Naturally strong not weight room strong.

The guy like that in this draft is Cody Ford.

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man