NFL Power Rankings Texans #

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Sep 13, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/13/week-one-power-rankings-2/

1. Packers (No. 1; 1-0): Randall Cobb said that God told him to defy coach Mike McCarthy’s order to not bring out a kickoff more than five yards deep. Cobb needs to realize that, in Green Bay, McCarthy’s rank is higher.

2. Saints (No. 2; 0-1): There’s a good chance that the best two teams in the NFL played in the first game of the season.

3. Chargers (No. 3; 1-0): An ugly win in September is one of the prettiest things this slow-starting team has seen in years.

4. Ravens (No. 8; 1-0): Baltimore probably would have liked to bank a few of those 35 points for the rematch with the Steelers.

5. Patriots (No. 7; 1-0): Tom Brady reminds the world that, while Aaron Rodgers was the MVP of the Super Bowl, Brady was the MVP of the league.

6. Jets (No. 6; 1-0): Despite swiping a win, the Jets have a lot of things to fix.

7. Bears (No. 11; 1-0): Maybe some of the Bears defenders should play both ways.

8. Eagles (No. 9; 1-0): Mike Vick says he played “lights out.” His completion percentage suggests he meant that literally.

9. Falcons (No. 4; 0-1): After losing to the Bears on the road, it’s too early to panic. If they lose to Vick and the Eagles at home, it won’t be.

10. Texans (No. 12; 1-0): The 2011 season started the same way that the 2010 season began. The Texans need the next 15 games to go slightly better.

11. Steelers (No. 5; 0-1): Safety Troy Polamalu says the the team was humbled. Age tends to do that.

12. Lions (No. 14; 1-0): After winning four of 44, the Lions have won five of five.

13. Bills (No. 24; 1-0): The Jets and Pats may have good reason to get a little nervous.

14. Cowboys (No. 10; 0-1): Cowboys fans likely are hoping that Tony Romo will start his pro golf career sooner rather than later.

15. Buccaneers (No. 13; 0-1): If they couldn’t beat the Lions when the Lions didn’t have Matthew Stafford, why did anyone think the Bucs could beat the Lions with Stafford?

16. Jaguars (No. 19; 1-0): The Luke McCown era begins with the crackle of a damp lady finger.

17. Cardinals (No. 17; 1-0): They may never break into the top 10, but they may win the NFC West by three laps.

18. Raiders (No. 20; 1-0): Maybe the Chargers won’t simply stroll to the AFC West championship.

19. 49ers (No. 25; 1-0): Two undefeated teams in the Bay Area could be a sign that the end is near.

20. Redskins (No. 31; 1-0): Beat the Cardinals on Sunday, and then we’ll start to maybe, possibly believe that this team could maybe, possibly be better than expected.

21. Rams (No. 21; 0-1): When the Rams and Giants square off on Monday Night Football, they should replace the coin flip with a comparison of injury reports.

22. Panthers (No. 28; 0-1): No team has ever jumped so high with a loss.

23. Giants (No. 15; 0-1): Maybe Rob Ryan will be the next coach of the Giants.

24. Vikings (No. 22; 0-1): Was there a digit missing from Donovan McNabb’s passing yardage?

25. Seahawks (No. 23; 0-1): If the Seahawks think that Tarvaris Jackson was jerked around in Minnesota, wait until they see what happens to him in Pittsburgh.

26. Bengals (No. 32; 1-0): Well, they got their win. Now they can coast.

27. Titans (No. 27; 0-1): The good news? The Titans may finish higher in the standings than the Colts.

28. Broncos (No. 30; 0-1): Coach John Fox needs to realize that those Tebow chants will only get louder if they are ignored.

29. Colts (No. 18; 0-1): Andrew Luck would be the perfect quarterback for a team with a horseshoe on the side of its helmet.

30. Dolphins (No. 29; 0-1): Yeah, that preseason No. 29 ranking for the Dolphins was wrong. It was too high.

31. Browns (No. 26; 0-1): Hell, Eric Mangini could have beaten Cincinnati.

32. Chiefs (No. 17; 0-1): We’ve got a feeling that most Chiefs fans will agree with this.

2. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Two 0-1 teams ranked higher than the Texans.

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

One of the best teams of the last decade and the team with the best record in the NFC last year, one game proves nothing.

4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

That's why it's called rankings and not standings.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Slighty better is an understatement!

6. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Seems about right to me.

We'll know a lot more in just a few weeks---after the games against New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Dont be so "gloom and doom"!! Look at it from the "Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream" point of view. The Texans moved up two spots. :spin:

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Wow I've NEVER seen the Colts not in the top 16t

9. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

The Saints lost to the No. 1 team and defending Super Bowl champions... The Falcons lost to then No. 11 Chicago, who made it to the NFC championship last year... The Texans beat then No. 18 Colts, who without one of the best QBs in the game may have been rated too high....

Not a surprise or anything... I see nothing wrong with them...

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

It's ok, we'll be top 3 after we beat the Fins, Saints and Steelers

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

See, that's the way to look at this. We want respect? Just win. Everything else comes with that. Respect, money, attention, better coverage. Just win and it's all ours.

HTown2ATX likes this.
  13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Bears #7 ..... I'm not seeing that.

Man, there are some pretty good looking teams (at this point) we're going to have to climb over.

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

They're coming off of a division title, an appearance in the NFC Championship game, and a road victory over the team that went into last season's NFC playoffs as the #1 seed. I was expecting the Bears to decline this season (and I'm still thinking they will), but given this is based on recent track record, it's hard to dispute the ranking from where I stand.

15. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Did you forget to put this ':rolleyes:' after that statement?

16. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Yeah, I like ESPN's rankings better simply because I think the Steelers should be ranked above the Texans in spite of their performance against the Ravens (the 4th ranked team).

1 (1) Packers 1-0 If you thought QB Aaron Rodgers would cool down after the Super Bowl, think again. (Walker)

2 (2) Patriots 1-0 League MVP Tom Brady couldn't have gotten off to a better start than his dissection of Miami. (Clayton)

3 (4) Eagles 1-0 There are some issues in Philly, but offensive firepower is not one of them. (Fox)

4 (8) Ravens 1-0 Baltimore let out all its playoff frustration in a 35-7 drubbing of the Steelers. (Walker)

5 (7) Jets 1-0 Mark Sanchez should send Tony Romo a thank you card for opening victory. (Clayton)

6 (5) Saints 0-1 Effort against the Packers would have been good enough against anyone else. (Sando)

7 (13) Bears 1-0 Jay Cutler quickly got over playoff controversy with 300-plus yards, two TDs and a big win over Atlanta. (Walker)

8 (3) Steelers 0-1 Too early to push the panic button. Big Ben and his mates usually bounce back after tough losses. (Walker)

9 (10) Chargers 1-0 Mike Tolbert's three scores help offset a shaky start on special teams. Is that still not fixed? (Kuharsky)

10 (11) Texans 1-0 Things couldn't have started any better. Now, how do they react to big expectations? (Kuharsky)

17. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

18. markn

markn Hall of Fame

That one sounds a tad optimistic. You could easily argue that the 4 teams directly below us are better. Frankly I'd rather start the games against the saints and steelers as perceived underdogs.

I think 10 is about right for us at this point. Until the colts play again there is really no way to tell how good that win was. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you.

19. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Understandable. And the same reason why I actually think we're a little too high. We beat down a Peyton-less Cotls team that looked like it was imploding upon itself. How that makes us the 10th strongest team I'm not sure.

But by the same token, the Falcons got things handed to them, and thusly I think they're way too high. It may be thanks to previous seasons, but power rankings (in my opinion) are on snapshots of how a team performs that week. Past performances outside of this season should have no bearings on rankings.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Two teams dropped out of the top ten... the Steelers, from #5.... I think that is a little knee jerk.

& the Cowboys from #10.. I don't know what the hell he was thinking ranking them that high to begin with.

I like it as well... But he's got the Titans way too low. Hasselbeck is the best QB that team has had since McNair. Brit's going to be a monster & CJ2k is CJ2k.

I also think the Colts shouldn't be that low either, but he previously had them at 18.... so I don't know what was going on there at all.