NFL owners approve two international games

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexanSam, Oct 24, 2006.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/10/24/bc.fbn.nflmeetings.ap/index.html

That sucks. I don't want to miss a Texans game because they're playing in Mexico City or Toronto or anywhere else. I can see this being done with baseball or basketball because they're so many home games, but we only have 8 homes games per year in the NFL and I don't really want to lose one just to have it more widely known internationally. Preseason games I'd be fine with, but I don't like the idea of regular season games in another country, even if it's only twice during a 16 year span.

2. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Completely agreed. This is ridiculous! I want my Texans "home" games to be at home!

3. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

They'll try it for a little while before they realize how impractical it is to fly a team overseas for one weekend.

4. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Alright, but they have to start playing regular season Canadian football games here in America.

5. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

We all want to see how Ricky Williams is performing!

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

And they have to have English Premier League soccer in the United States. If we're going to have our best football played in Europe for one game, we have to have their best football in the United States for one game. Fair is fair.

7. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i think its a great idea....and before you ask, yes i am from europe

8. profan

profan Veteran

Well, my next year maybe we can make up that lost home game with a home playoff game. Wish the owners would have eliminated a preseaon game or two.

9. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

I don't think that's possible. Somebody would have to lose a home game.

10. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I didn't catch it all, but on the NFL channel they said something was under consideration for like 3 games in the UK or possibel 7 in Germany??? I could see a game or 2 in Europe, but that's about it. I would go to London ( theNew Wembley stadium would be great) for one or Berlin/Munich, because I go on buisness to those places, but I doubt many from the US would go.

11. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Me either!! I knew this was coming and I hate it!! It's like stabbing hard working, diehard football fans in the back for being loyal and supportive of OUR teams!! SOME of us work our butts off taking on extra hours, working 2-3 jobs, just to pay for our chosen entertainment from Aug to Jan!! I don't want ONE of my games taken away from me!!! That's a fact!! This is all about putting MONEY in the pockets of NFL owers, not because they want to broaden the interest in football in other countries. They are putting the screws to the fans who have made NFL football what it is today! JMO!!

12. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i think the NFL will send the two teams that have the worst home attendance, cause if they send a team that sells out everygame, they will lose money, but i dunno, its good for fan base, but sucks for home team fans

13. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

This is all a pre-cursor for NFL expansion into other countries.

14. texansfanquecaneh

texansfanquecaneh Rookie

As a Canadian, I would love to see the Texans in person. On the other hand, if they were to play a game in Toronto, I would feel like I'm taking somebody's belongings for myself. I wouldn't feel right about it. Someday, I'll take my son to Houston for a game (when he's older). That way I'm not taking from the rightful owner. Also, the ambiance would be much different if it would be a ¨neutral¨site.
    Plus, if they will do this; the game has to be at a neutral site. The obvious choice in Canada would be Toronto, but that means Buffalo should not be allowed to play there, because it would be an extra home game for them. They have too many (arrogant) fans there. Good thing their fan base is not Canada wide. But there aren't that many other stadiums to choose from. I only see Vancouver, Edmonton and maybe Montreal (the CFL team doesn't even use Olympic Stadium).
    I like NFL football more than any other sport, but I believe there are more deserving places to host NFL games than up here in Canada:twocents:.

15. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

On the bright side, I know I will get to see at least 2 Texans games here in San Antonio.:brickwall

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree completely.

And I have to wonder if the 9 game season ticket holders will be paying full price, too. I'd lead a fan revolt if our Texans played a home game on the road and we had to pay full price for an entire season ticket package.

If the NFL expands beyond 32 teams, the talent pool will continue to be diluted, and the product will suffer. I can see a point where the league gets too big and they shoot the golden goose.

17. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

What if they give you plane tickets, room and board, and...a foam finger?

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'm on it! The foam finger seals the deal.

19. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Relax people, the Texans are no where good enough to be one of those teams going overseas, Mexico maybe. Look for Dallas, NY, or Indy, as they are world known teams, sending Houston would not mean much to the sales of gear.

Now I would be a little pissed as well if they took a home game away from whatever team it was that goes and still charged me, then again, it is nuts they charge full price for a pre season game when the players are 3rd-4th stringers playing. Not fair to charge the same price for a watered down product that most guys wont be in the league after camp anyways..

Oh well, just be happy Houston won't be going...

20. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I don't know if anyone has considered this or not, but isn't there a lower average income in Mexico? To say the the "fans" there are going to spend the same cost that we spend on ticket prices would be a little far fetched IMHO. Maybe they are banking on the huge amounts of people that would show up to offset that price. I don't know, let's do a comparison for a moment:

Reliant stadium: 70,000 fans +/- @ $50.00 avg. ticket = 3.5 million dollars.

Stadium in Mexico: 100,000 fans +/- @ $25.00 avg. ticket =2.5 million dollars.

I'd stay home in Houston and give it to the "true fans". Maybe they are expecting this to turn into a huge world wide sport and line their pockets more. I think it would be a huge distraction and disadvantage for a team to travel to another country on a 17 hour flight to play a game and turn around and come home, get past the jet lag, and get ready for another road game. Totally unfair IMHO. :twocents: