NFL Outsiders:Texans select:Clint Sintim

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-outsider-mock-draft-jets-address-qb-position-with-sanchez.html

I don't know much about the guy

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-outsider-mock-draft-sintim-rounds-out-top-15.html

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Will seeing how most mocks are way off at this point, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is a 0% chance this one is correct.

Crabtree to St. Louis is becoming popular but I still just can't see them passing on their pick of a LT.

Don't get me started on Stafford to Kansas City. Guess the Chiefs are already throwing in the towel on Matt Cassell.

Michael Oher would be my pick at #15 against many of y'alls liking.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Wow, he's projecting Mathews to be off the board already? :thinking:

4. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind either Clint Sintim or Clay Matthews, both of these OLBs can rush the passer and get in the QBs face. The Texans NEED a pass rusher but also a OLB that can shed blocks, which I believe both of these players do (I give Sintim the slight edge however).

Let's Go :d:!!!

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Problem is neither one of them looks solid in pass coverage.

6. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Sintim plays in a 3-4 at UVA, and he projects to the 3-4 in the NFL. Matthews played a hybrid end...the same position Cushing played before. Cushing put up great numbers that year as well. Matthews did not. Matthews is another 3-4 LB.

7. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

I want Larry English!!

8. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Sintim was a very good player at UVA and he's a good character guy, but if he's going to play OLB, it needs to be in a 3-4. I'm not an expert on the differences between the two schemes (so correct me if I'm wrong), but a 4-3 OLB requires more agility and has to play in space more often than a 3-4 OLB. Sintim really struggled on the rare occasions he was asked to cover, and he often had trouble containing speedy players on the edge.

He's an outstanding pass-rusher who proved this past season that he didn't need Chris Long in front of him to get sacks. But, again, that is a skill that will be better maximized in a 3-4.

As much as I like the guy, he's not a good fit for us, and I certainly wouldn't take him at 15 even if Curry and all the USC LBs are off the board.

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    IF this was the shakedown and we didn't select Oher I would shit myself, take off my pants and unders and mail them to Reliant.

10. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

If it's between Matthews and Sintim, I am taking Sintim a full round before Matthews.

I'm amazed at the Matthews hype around here. I'd be interested to see how many people have actually seen him play more than once.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

We got it, and I respectfully disagree. He is the best in the class for this football teams needs. I say Cushing has maxed out and Mathews is just now hitting his stride. He hasn't finished growing. Be a shame if it fell like this.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I do like those big tree trunk legs that Sintim has. Lots of power in that dude.

13. TexansSeminole

Never really agreed with the "this player is this type of player" stuff.

I think Sintim can play in both schemes. Obviously he is more familiar with the 3-4 but that does not mean that he can't play in the 4-3.

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Sintim was very stiff in coverage at the Senior Bowl. I think that's why most people assume only a 34 team will take him.

15. threetoedpete

Well I watched Sintim playing the three four and at the combine if your expecting him to be more than a hand on the ground guy....drop in coverage....you're going to be diappointed. He's stiff.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1807

the last paragraph please.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33810&draftyear=2009&genpos=OLB

'He might have to move .....inside.' We don't need that. He's a fine football player. Great upsde...but he belongs in a three four. And unless we're switching once again....or moving Ryans....I don't see it. CBSsports guy is throwning darts tring to hit something. Interesting but as worthless as teats on a boar.

16. threetoedpete

If a guy can't flip his hips....or read...he can't be an OLB in a forty three. And you can be just as baffeled at that as you want to be TS. But it's been that way for forty years.

17. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

I can't believe I'm running down my own guy, but here goes: Sintim is pretty awkward in any kind of lateral movement. And he's not particularly fast. On the plus side, he's stout and can take on blockers at the point of attack (absolutely necessary for a 3-4 OLB), and he is hell-on-wheels going forward which is why he's a good pass rusher. Again, these talents are ideally suited for a 3-4 OLB.

While they're useful skills for a 4-3 OLB, the position requires much more coverage work and lateral movement. I'm not saying he can't play the Sam in a 4-3, but his value to a 4-3 team is less than his value will be to a 3-4. And I'm not saying he won't be able to learn a 4-3 scheme, either--the kid is very bright--but his physical abilities are better suited to a 3-4.

Put it this way, if we ran a 3-4 and our biggest need was OLB, I'd consider trading up if I had any inkling that Sintim could be gone before the 15th pick. Some mocks, though, have him falling into the second round. If he does and we didn't draft an OLB in the first round, I'd definitely consider him there.

18. TexansSeminole

How many times have you read "this guy can't do this", and the next year the guy is doing it on a weekly basis? Look at Slaton.

I just go by what I see, and I see a good football player that has an all-around game, but is excellent on blitzes.

I'm the kind of guy that says "yea he might be better in a 3-4." I am not the kind of guy that says "he is a 3-4 linebacker, he will not play in the 4-3." Not sure why people think they know what a guy can or can't do from MAYBE watching a few games or reading a few paragraphs.

AKA I don't care what homeboy on nfldraftscout says.

Everybody has weaknesses and strengths. Sintim is a very good blitzer and therefore was used as that type of player during his time at UVA. Just because he is unfamiliar or uncomfortable with some things he isn't all that experienced in, doesn't mean he can't do it.

JMO.

19. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't take any mocks seriously, but with this one I wouldn't even be able to use it as a good reference...

20. threetoedpete

Which is why: A. they are fixing to draft a Rb to help take the load off of Salton.
    B. Why you are confussed.