NFL must keep top teams honest in late season

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

this is crazy.
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro...-honest-in-late-192725.html?cxtype=rss_sports

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Thats freaking crazy. Yeah, lets make the best teams better. The NFL cant do anything. And they dont have to. If the Texans were to make the playoffs, the had ample opportunity to do so. They just choked.

3. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I think this is a bad idea. It seriously promotes the notion of "haves" and "have-nots", and seems to undercut the whole idea of drafting #1 overall in the first place (because your team needs the most help).

I can't remember who suggested it, but I think the best answer I've heard so far is to make the last 3 games of the season be divisional games. This would help to keep each division uncertain for as long as possible, and help to make it less likely that the teams will be willing to pull starters against their rivals.

Wolf likes this.
  4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

man I like that idea

5. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

Ditto. I think that's the best solution for this issue of teams mailing it in the last couple of games if they're already in with playoffs. It's unfair to the fans.

6. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I think the fine thing could work well if done effectively. Do us Texans fans really want to play 3 divisional games in a row if we're fighting for playoffs again? We know how that 4 game divisional stretch worked for us this past year.

7. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

That's actually a really good idea!

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well I am more into the " we have (or need) to win within the division" before we can win in the playoffs.

9. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Ooooooh, that is fantastic idea. And it would be relatively easy to implement, I would think.

I like that the writer was sticking up for us and all, but, at the end of the day, we have some things we need to fix on our end. Being mad at any other team because the Texans aren't in the playoffs is pointless.

10. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Well, but, that's the thing. It would FORCE us to get our act together. If we have ANY chance of being a dominant playoff team we all want, we have to become a major player in our division first.

11. record

record Rookie

I love the idea of moving the divisional games to the last few weeks as well. Many of those games would then become de facto playoff games for their respective division championships. It also kind of gives the hot teams at the end of the season a better chance b/c you can make up ground easier by beating teams ahead of you in the division. Even with out the issues of teams sitting starters late in the season b/c they have clinched, it is a great idea. I can't see the negative in this? Anyone?

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

On the other hand, Kubiak's Kids seem to play better football in December than any other month. All other things being equal, I like our chances with this change.

and isn't your divisional record one of the tie-breakers to determine home field advantage? Yeah, this is a better idea than passing out extra picks to help the rich get richer.

I wonder if the schedule gurus could make it work?

13. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Here is a simple solution. If you mail in games like the Colts did, you lose your first and second round pick in the up coming draft. All teams need picks, no matter how good they are. Losing a first and second rounder would be devastating.

14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

The Rules committee, basically owners and coaches, will never agree to that.

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Cowboys had to play washington and Philly the last two weeks and quite honestly ,for the most part, stats can be thrown out the window when it is rivalry games

16. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Man if the texans are like 13-2

and like playing like Pittsburg in the snow on wk 17 WTF would we play and risk AJ or Matty Getting hurt ??????

17. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

@colts-L
    bye
    vs Tenn-L
    vs colts-L
    @ jags-L

It still haunts me LOL

18. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

The thing about giving away the number 1 pick is that nobody really wants it. Unless they change the rookie pay structure the first pick is too big of a risk, especially for a team that just went 16-0. The writers idea was not very well thought out IMO.

It is something that I would like to see addressed though. I like the idea of playing the divisional games in December. As far as fines or taking away draft picks, then you get into having to decide whether the team blew it on purpose or just had a meltdown. If Peyton Manning sits out with a cramp in week 17, who is going to be the one who decides if he was faking or not?

19. sportfan73

sportfan73 Rookie

I can't believe there's talk of 18-game seasons, this year better of shut those people up.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I despise all Kindergarten style rules for this league. The NFL has always been a league of toughness, strength and power. If you have won your games, you have the power to do what you want to do as you approach the playoffs. One of the advantages of being a dominant team is that you can play at home and you can go into the Super Bowl tournament any way you choose. If your team doesn't like it they should win more games before the last games of the season. This reminds me that another reason the NFL regular season is vastly superior to the other Pro Sports leagues' 'regular seasons' is that ALL the NFL games are important early in the year.

Double Barrel and Wolf like this.