NFL May Ship Extra Regular Season Game to England

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by mattieuk, May 12, 2009.

1. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8104650e&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Not surprised they are talking about sending another game over here. Its a guaranteed 80,000 sell out at Wembley, and the help it must do to marketing teams over here should be huge.

However, I'm not sure how this will go down...I seem to remember there being a few fans getting pissed at losing one of their home games, not if two are going to lose their games, there may well be more people saying enough is enough... Seems to be a 'its all good, as long as my team doesn't lose a home game' attitude around?

On a side-note, its disappointing that the NFL aren't looking at spreading it around Britain (or even Europe for that matter). Just in Britain, Scotland had the 'Scottish Claymores', and must still hold a fanbase (and anyways, a 6 hour train trip from London isn't that bad anyway) and I'm sure Ibrox or Hampden Stadium could host a game. Failing that, there is a load of NFL support in Germany, where NFL Europe/Europa was pretty much based.

Either way....thoughts?

2. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Eh, since they were (did) play with relocating the pro bowl - why not send that one over and stop messing with people's home games.

3. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Good idea.

Do I remember reading that they were talking about hosting a future super bowl in London?

:not enough coffee this morning: <-----we need a smiley for this

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Roger Goodell is Satan. That is all.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Agreed! They could even move it from year to year to different cities across the pond. It would also give players more incentive to make the Pro Bowl. I mean, a Pro Bowl in Florida? Whoopty doo!

6. Polo

Polo Guest

I think they want to expand their merchandise market.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Have an MADDEN NFL Super Bowl playoff game between the 2 world champion finalists, projected on the European stadium's large video boards.:user:

8. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

I like the idea. The pro bowl is becoming irrelevant anyway. Europe gets to see the best of the best, the players still get to vacation, and the US fans don't lose a meaningful game.

9. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

If we're lucky, the world will embrace the game. Then new leagues will form, the develop and start signing players away from the NFL. Before you know it we will be watching the NFL on pay-per-view once the NFL teams outbid the competition abroad.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Personally I dont like it. I think the fans deserve to have their team's home games played at home.

If the Texans went, would we have more fans in the UK? Probably. But Ill pass.

11. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

pro bowl over there would be better than a regular season game. they could charge more and ppl would pay it b.c. all the big name players would b there. Not just two teams players

12. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't get why folks think sending the pro-bowl over there is a good idea.

I think people would tire of the event really fast because its not a true representation of the game.

I'd much rather watch a competitive hard fought game vs. a game where they don't even kick real field goals.

13. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

so would i that is y I want the real games to stay in the US...teams shouldn't lose a home game during the season...i'll let preseason slide

14. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I'm so sick of this crap!!!

Why don't they just start a damn professional football league in England like the Japanese have baseball and the Greeks have basketball, and stop trying to take our football away from us?

WTF is next, a World American Football Classic?

Goodell is horsecrap!!!

15. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Exactly. When people complain about games going over seas they get told they are behind in the times and that globalizing the game is good for the NFL.

What is the positive effect other than filling owners wallets? All I see is NFL fans getting screwed out of a home game.

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Why don't we just give a franchise to London and quit giving them ours. A 6 hour flight form London to the US isn't that long when you only play once a week.

17. Polo

Polo Guest

Agreed.

If anything, Goodell needs to let a couple teams play a couple pre-season games over there...

I think fans would much rather lose one of those games vs. losing a regular season game...Plus the fans across the pond would still be getting competitive play...

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

Well that works for the east coast teams. Try telling the Seahawks to take an 11 hour flight to London.

19. Polo

Polo Guest

That is...

Until they are scheduled to play the Raiders or San Francisco...

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Great post. I dont understand why anyone thinks the Brits would want to watch a flag football game with no blitzing, or hard hitting. It doesnt make sense.

Plus I think alot of players will decline the offer to play in the pro bowl when it gets moved to Miami, and especially if it was in London.