NFL issues statement on Seattle/Green Bay outcome

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

The NFL has issued the following statement regarding Golden Tate's winning touchdown reception for Seattle against Green Bay on Monday night:

2. Say Watt

Say Watt Site Contributor

**** the NFL. That is an insult to the intelligence of every single football fan around the world. Absolutely ridiculous for them to stick up for this.

:toropalm:

Double Barrel likes this.
  3. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Basketball reasons

Signed,
    David Stern

4. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Sad day for the NFL.

5. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

:includeme:

Nothing I can say will add to this discussion.

The NFL is making a horrible decision. :toropalm:

6. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
    (a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
    (b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
    (c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

[​IMG]

Jennings secured control of the ball well before Tate did b/c he caught the ball with both hands from the jump.

& he also had control of the ball before Tate did so that effectively rules out simultaneous possession right there.........at least according to the letter of the rule.

7. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

I've had to write some total bull**** spin in my day, and I did not envy the copywriter/PR guy that had to write this. This is some intelligence-insulting spin though. Reads like a lawyer had a hand in it, which is probably the case.

Should have thrown out some buzzwords like 'speed of the game" at least.

8. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

B.S. and they know it. All I can say to make me feel ok about this b.s. call is that I'm glad I'm not a Packers fan. Pathetic 'explanation'.

9. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

New strategy for last minute hail mary passes:

The offensive team should prevent the defender from touching the ground until they can get a hand on the ball. That way it is a "simultaneous" catch, because possession doesn't start until his touches the ground, while he is in the air apparently he is in the twilight zone where the ball is still fair game. Have everyone hold him up. LOL, this is a complete joke by the NFL

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

11. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

*cough* Bulls--- *cough*

chicagotexan2 likes this.
  12. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

Fans asked for this when they didn't cry "foul" after the Tuck game. The fact it was the Raiders that got screwed had many snickering with delight, but now the NFL is pulling out the same routine here because the fans let them do it before. Just remember, Walt Coleman said Brady's arm was going forward, but later it was shown that Brady had two hands on the ball, so the NFL pulled the Tuck Rule out and dusted it off to justify Coleman's throwing of the game. If fans would have stood up to the NFL then, who knows what they would have done now; but they didn't, so the NFL is using the same after-the-fact spin to say the play was called correctly. NFL fans have no one to blame but themselves.

13. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

one hand touching the ball is now possession. He is just touching the ball by reaching around Jennings. LOL

14. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

This jellyfish response from the NFL is disappointing but completely predictable.

We need an NFL face palm.

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The NFL knows that they can say or do whatever they want and there's not a damn thing anyone will do about it. No one will stop watching, no one will stop buying Bud Light, the stadiums will still sell out, the cities will still foot the bill for their palaces to play in, and people will actually pay more attention when these things happen. So of course they're going to be arrogant about it. We've trained them.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

So, good call bad rule?

17. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

Jennings should have just swatted the ball down like defenders are taught to do, then you take the decision out of the refs' hands.

Bad call, but I've seen more than my fair share of those in my days.

18. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

19. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

By the way, the replay guy doesn't have to rule it an INT, because he can't, but he can rule it an incomplete pass because the WR never had control of the ball. That's what the replay guy should have ruled. The ball doesn't have to hit the ground either because the refs called the play dead after they hit the ground.

20. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

Absolutely.

This doesn't shock me at all. It's just the evolution of ego. Goodell has moved from players to teams to the entire league.

Everytime I see something new come out, I am reminded of Dave Chappelle's bit before his R. Kelly "I Wanna Pee on You" parody: