NFL intends to give teeth to blackouts

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 1, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I truly feel sorry for the NFL. Squeeze the nickel. :chef:

League steps up efforts to prevent illegal game broadcasts in blacked-out markets

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

So if a team is lagging behind in attendance, blackouts are intended to keep the team out of sight, out of mind, right?

Morons.

TimeKiller likes this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think that if the NFL is serious about the blackout policy, which obviously they are, they need to mandate that any team that has 3 blackouts in a row has to reduce ticket prices 15%....:kitten:

4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I can state with 100% certainty that this Sunday the league will find absolutely no Tampa-area establishments violating their blackout policy!

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The NFL feels that if they black out games, it will force people into the stands. While they bask in their multimillions, they have absolutely no reguard for the economic hardships of the average fan.

As far as discounts after a series of blackouts..........ain't gonna happen.........for the same above reason. Last year, the Bucs, through a loophole, bought up a load of their own tickets at a discount to avoid blackouts. This year they announced that they decided not to do so. What wasn't revealed was that the NFL told them that they would no longer be able to buy those tickets at a discount.

Gotta love the NFL. Pretty soon I expect to see a fee tacked on somewhere, to EXIT the stadiums.:rake:

6. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Awful idea.

That contains way to much common sense.

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The economic hardship is part of the equation, to be sure, but I was generally commenting on the concept that you mentioned. Blacking out games doesn't force people into the stands. It causes the people who don't go to games to find something else to do besides watch football. LA is a good example that the NFL just can't get their mind around. People in LA have a variety of things they can do on any given Sunday. If the local team was on TV constantly, it might drum up enough interest to start putting people in the seats, but if not, people have plenty of alternatives.

SD is not as big, but they'll find out the same thing applies there if the blackouts continue. Eventually, enough people will stop worrying about the game being on TV and just go do something else.

CloakNNNdagger and thunderkyss like this.
  8. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

You mean I'll have to stop watching the Texans games on www.channelsurfing.net which carries free internet feeds of most NFL games when I'm not watching my DirectTV?

:wild:

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The NFL seems like it's being run by a bunch of Democrats.

"You're not buying our product?" "Fine, we'll stop advertising in your area until you do."

Let the N.O. Saints go to Tampa, I bet they'll sell out. The Patriots, the Cowboys, the Eagles....... they'll sell out.

The NFL should put pressure on ownership if they aren't selling out, not the fans. If the ownership can't get people into the stadium, they need to go.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

How about if your games are blacked out, you lose that portion of revenue sharing?

I bet that'll change how they do business.

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Let me get this perfectly clear....

The National Football League is literally stopping people from watching the National Football League?