Nfl Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by God of Wine, Dec 31, 2005.

1. God of Wine

God of Wine Guest

What would you think if the NFL instituted a draft lottery?

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/lottotime.htm

I like the NFL Draft and hope they never change it. I don't want the NFL to turn out like the NHL and NBA either.:twocents:

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'd be hating :mad:

the NFL has it right with this one :)

3. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

There shouldn't be a nfl draft lottery. Part of the reason which makes the NFL so good is that there is always so much change year in and year out on what teams are good and what teams are bad. Having a draft lottery gives chances to a team which might not be as bad to get a lot better which decreases the equality of the competition. Do you imagine if there was a lottery this year and the Chiefs or the Chargers got the #1 pick and we got the #10 pick? It would be completely unfair.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

thats right, along with the salray cap it creates more parity in the NFL :)

5. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I think there is less of a difference between the #1 and #2 players in the draft (most years) in the NFL than in the NHL or NBA. There is more of a drop-off in the first few picks those leagues, so the lottery makes sense.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

For every year that there is a Reggie Bush draft there is the Alex smith draft, where teams don't want in the top 5 much less anywhere near the top pick in the draft.

The other factor is that one player out 53 has a minimal amount of influence on the game. In all other sports a players particiapate on both offense and defense. In football, player play on one side of the ball with the possibility of a handfull special teams plays.

7. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

I do not like the BB ball lottery.

Did you know that since the 80s' have begun, only 7 cities have had a championship.
    LA, Houston, Detroit, San Antonio, Chicago, Boston, and Philly.

How's that for parity?!

And for all you Jordan lovers out there that think if he'd never had retired those 2 seasons, then it would only be 6. 6 out of 28 or more teams. That's crap.

8. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Lets take that a step further.
    Since 1980, here are the teams that have BEEN in the NBA finals"
    Boston, Houston, Lakers, 76ers, celtics, pistons, TRAILBLAZERS, SUNS, KNICKS, MAGIC, SUPERSONICS, JAZZ, PACERS, spurs, NETS. Now lets eliminate the previous teams that were mentioned. That leaves 8 other teams that have been in the championship series in 25 years. So add these 8 to the 7 and you have 15. 15 teams out of 28 or 30 is not bad. It is about half. While true parity would suggest a higher percentage, I am not sure it is as bad as you seem to indicate. Then again, I am not a bball fan, so I am not watching, so you might be right afterall.