NFL draft could get prime-time TV slot in 2010

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Polo, Apr 29, 2009.

?

Do you like thursday or keep it saturday

1. Thursday

10.5%
  2. Saturday

89.5%
  1. Polo

Polo Guest

Didn't see this posted...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...fl/stories/042809dnspogosselin.1183d684a.html

2. Polo

Polo Guest

No comments about possible changes to the draft?

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Good. That way everyone will know (part of) what made the Texans a juggernaut. :fans:

4. Polo

Polo Guest

Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I like it or dislike it...

I kind of like having a whole weekend to see the draft...I like waking up on that saturday morning and knowing whats on the schedule for the day...It's like draft day has become my new Christmas...
    I also tend to have a lot of stuff to do on weekdays...Rockets might be playing....

On the other hand...the draft would happen sooner and it'd help the week go by faster...

:shrug: I guess it doesn't really matter though....

5. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

why can't they leave good enough alone?

the draft is one of my designated home party events, and moving it to a weeknight wouldn't be the same. what they should be doing is looking at moving it around the country and get away from the asshat NYJ fans booing every other teams picks.

6. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah, I agree with this only I was mad this year because it wasn't until 3 in the afternoon. I had thought it was a lot earlier before. THey need to have it really early so they can do at least 3 rounds.

Like you said Polo it's like the feeling when you were young on Christmas.

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Totally agree there. It shouldn't have to be in freaking NY every year. They should move it around the country.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

They are destroying everything I like about draft weekend. Taking one pick away from day one was a mistake. Moving day one to prime time on Thursday would be a bigger mistake.

Frankly I hate Roger Goodell. He's done nothing but make the NFL worse since the day he arrived. At least Tags knew (mostly) to not screw with all the great things Rozell got right. Goodell thinks he's got to leave his imprint on the league. He's wrong.

9. Polo

Polo Guest

LOL...

I feel ya'....

And I didn't realize what it was until you said something, but it does feel a little incomplete without that third pick on day one...

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I feel the same way about the draft. I still don't really understand taking a round from day 1. They shortened the selection time, so why not leave rounds 1-3 on Saturday? Goofy!

I like how Goodell is making an attempt to clean up NFL players that are asshats. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see him become even more strict with his policy. IMO, he's allowed the Ass-man Jones saga to go much further than it needs to.

I'm not a fan of overseas games, but if it is making the NFL stronger as a whole I'm good with it.

I'm not really a fan of all the love the QB receives either.

I'm good with going with the 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games also.

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I sometimes think the only reason the 3rd round pick was moved to day two was to create a "gulf" between the first two rounds and everything after that to keep salaries of 3rd rounders down. I think that once we've seen a decade or so of this format (assuming it stays as it is) somebody should look at average salaries of 2's and 3's and see if the space between them has widened.

12. SF49erFaithful

SF49erFaithful Crabtree FTW

LOL. I actually like it in NY: Big city, media madhouse, and the Radio City Music Hall is an extremely nice venue. Remember how ghetto the one in Tennessee was?

I love it where it was, even if the NYJ fans boo every pick (including their own 3/4 of the time). :redtowel:

dc_txtech likes this.
  13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

They're already looking at changing the format. That's the purpose of this thread. 1st round on one day, 2nd and 3rd on another, and then the rest on the final day.

So, they're already putting the 2nd and 3rd rounds back together.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I don't care too much about the format, but I wish NYC wouldn't continue to get to monopolize the location. I'd love to have it in Vegas, or somewhere in our region wouldn't be bad either.

15. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

the city of the #1 pick would generate some great excitment I think. all jokes aside as to which teams would perpetually be in the rotation, I believe every NFL city has a venue to host this event.

16. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    Well, if the draft is on a Thursday in primetime, I get to see the whole thing, so I'm for it. I worked this year on Saturday. I got home just in time to see New Orleans pick Jenkins. Good thing the draft didn't start at noon. I'd like to see it move around the country, though. Maybe the Super Bowl champion should host it.

17. Polo

Polo Guest

Yep....

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I would not mind them partitioning out the draft like this.

19. Polo

Polo Guest

What is it that you like about it?

Or are you just 'meh' on the issue?

20. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Agreed. Nothing worse than a new guy coming in and making changes just to make changes, to put his stamp on it. You don't try to reinvent the wheel.

I think more people tune in because of draft parties and such. Moving it to prime time will not get these people at draft parties, who would normally not tune in otherwise, to tune in. They're not going to miss their Daincing with the Stars, or Idol or whatever, to tune into the long, slow NFL draft.

NFL fans are going to watch regardless. But you're going to lose all those people who pay attention because someone's having a draft party, who otherwise wouldn't give a flip about it.

Dumb move Badell. Dumb move. That would be like moving the Pro-Bowl to the week BEFORE the Super Bowl. Oh, that's right, Badell did that too.