Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Combine

How did DeAndre Hopkins run 4.57?
I've heard the official times are always slow and not used by scouts. Supposedly unofficial are more realistic, but hand times by scouts are the standard and often lower. So I go by "unofficial" times.

We'll get pro day times that'll tell the tale.

[Gebo] Smith turned in a 4.56-second 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine on Sunday morning, the best 40 time of any quarterback in this year’s draft class. Running in the 4.5s puts Smith on par with what Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick ran when they were in the Combine. Both of them have shown a great ability to use that speed on the field.

What’s interesting about Smith, however, is that he tends not to use his speed on the field: Smith was much more a passer than a runner at West Virginia, passing for 4,205 yards and 42 touchdowns while running for 151 yards and two touchdowns last season. So Smith should not be viewed as a running quarterback.

Still, proving he has the speed to make plays with his feet — especially at a time when NFL teams seem to be intrigued by the ways that running quarterbacks can threaten opposing defenses — can only help his draft stock.
link

Something that we could have used.

RB Onterio McCalebb ran an unofficial 4.27 (first) and 4.21 (second). Will have to wait until official time comes in to see if he bests CJ.

Florio reports

The news that West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin ran an unofficial 4.25-second 40 (which officially was adjusted to 4.34 seconds) was eye-opening but not surprising.

The numbers, which strip away the potential illusions created by game film generated against inferior talent, confirm the best quote we heard from an NFL G.M. while attending the Scouting Combine.

“He runs like he has a rocket in his ass,” said the G.M. on Thursday. (He didn’t request anonymity, but we’ll assume he didn’t want to have his name attached to the remark.)

I've heard the official times are always slow and not used by scouts. Supposedly unofficial are more realistic, but hand times by scouts are the standard and often lower. So I go by "unofficial" times.

We'll get pro day times that'll tell the tale.
Unofficial times are just that, times recorded by the participants agents, college coachs, and friends & relatives with an agenda to elevate the players Draft stock as much as possible. And they are also hand-timed which means they almost always overstate performace, a favorite ploy by NFL Network personnel to hype the performances and thereby stimulate cable viewership.
On the other hand, official times are electronically recorded which means they are objective and consistent and therefor more reliable and fair than the unofficial versions.

Unofficial times are just that, times recorded by the participants agents, college coachs, and friends & relatives with an agenda to elevate the players Draft stock as much as possible. And they are also hand-timed which means they almost always overstate performace, a favorite ploy by NFL Network personnel to hype the performances and thereby stimulate cable viewership.
On the other hand, official times are electronically recorded which means they are objective and consistent and therefor more reliable and fair than the unofficial versions.

Nope. NFL Network uses a single source for unofficial times, and it's not agents/college coaches/relatives.
laugh-1.gif

"Official" times are started on first movement -- any movement, even if it it not forward. Some guys move their off hand first, or rock backward. That is why "official" times are typically higher, very rarely lower.

Want to know what NFL teams consider an official 40 time? The one their guy with their stopwatch brings back to them. Many teams use the exact same scout for 40 times year in and year out and trust his index finger more than anyone in the business. They go through pains to keep the same stopwatch in working condition and make sure he's standing in the same spot every year.

Teams could care less what an "official" time from the combine is.
Those who participate in the 40 run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer (that is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement). Combine data put together for NFL teams by National Scouting includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time.

I really wonder how they feel about Newt as the long-term answer at RT ?
If they have reservations, I think we could actually see them using their top pick for a Lane Johnson IF he was still on their Board at 27 ?

After his impressive performance at the combine Johnson will go 7 to Arizona, 11 San Diego or 20 at the latest Bears.

If he's there at 27 Rick should personally run the card up to God'ell.

Nope. NFL Network uses a single source for unofficial times, and it's not agents/college coaches/relatives.
laugh-1.gif

"Official" times are started on first movement -- any movement, even if it it not forward. Some guys move their off hand first, or rock backward. That is why "official" times are typically higher, very rarely lower.

I'm not sure I like the electronic timer. The guy who's able to push off with both hand and foot at the same time gets the "extra" advantage that is already built in with the good stance/get off in the first place.

I'm not sure I like the electronic timer. The guy who's able to push off with both hand and foot at the same time gets the "extra" advantage that is already built in with the good stance/get off in the first place.

Me neither.

Seems like they could set an electronic start & finish timer. Maybe have a line just past the setup line to trigger the start then add 1 tenth (or whatever).

Or why not use a start sound like track? Players fire off QB's voice.

Those would improve the times the viewer gets, but the scout I spoke with said teams will always use their guy.

Me neither.

Seems like they could set an electronic start & finish timer. Maybe have a line just past the setup line to trigger the start then add 1 tenth (or whatever).

Or why not use a start sound like track? Players fire off QB's voice.

Those would improve the times the viewer gets, but the scout I spoke with said teams will always use their guy.

Yeah, I can understand why teams would rather use their guy to do their own timing with a stop watch.

laugh-1.gif

Track meets, especially the most prominent meets like the Olympics haven't used hand-held timers for decades simply because they are less accurate, more inconsistant, and less reliable than electronic timers. Their is but one reason to continue with this archaic technology in events like the Indy Combine which is to record faster times.

Deandre Hopkins, Cobi Hamilton, and Goard to a lesser extent popped out of that first group for me.

Hopkins owns it. Cleanest looking guy out there by a good bit, to me.
Add Quiton Patton & Robert Woods to my impressed list.

Watching back, I have to say my predisposition in favor of height had me overlooking Tavon Austin. The kid looked good -- with his 30" arms & 5'9".

Add Quiton Patton & Robert Woods to my impressed list.

Watching back, I have to say my predisposition in favor of height had me overlooking Tavon Austin. The kid looked good -- with his 30" arms & 5'9".

Those guys , to me are 2nd rd picks . Having said that , good teams take a luxury like Austin in the 1st rd and burn you with him .

I think Hunter is the wildcard because he's 6'4 . He also hit a 4.4 , 39.5 vertical , and 11' something broad jump . If he doesn't get hurt in 2011 , he would be a lock in the 1st .

Between this, Jones's stock falling, and Moore benching as much as I did in high school, it has not been a good combine for DL.

It just shows you A&M's science dept in HGH isn't up to snuff .

Look what Jared Allen benched at the combine .

Utah DT Star Lotulelei will not work out at the Combine after his medical evaluation revealed a heart condition.
Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Lotulelei's left ventricle is pumping at 44 percent efficiency, with the normal range being 55-70 percent.

Link.

Denard Robinson has a ton of speed as well. Wonder who is going to try to teach him how to run routes.

A smart GM would use him like Randall Cobb. Play him at RB, in the slot, return kicks, and try to groom him into a WR.

He's just as big and athletic as guys like Bernard and Randle but is getting no mention as a RB. It's astounding to me.

Kenny stills reminds me a lot of the kid out of rice last year. If he were still available in the third round I would run to the podium.

I'm not pulling much information here as I'm accustomed to what's up guys? Is everyone else just busy with work (like me) or school (rmartin65) or just fed up with how Texans finished season? Reason I ask is because it's hard to move forward with how Texans finished year, QB play, ability to tackle in space, finish drives in red zone & special teams play. It's like Texans lost Jacoby & all their mojo from last year, sputtering into playoffs like lambs headed to slaughter. I'm having a real hard time moving on with Schaub & Kubiak specifically. To put the energy & have excitement moving forward thinking about what they will or can do is depressing me. Unless serious results are forthcoming I hope Rick Smith can take a bold move & make necessary changes otherwise I may just become an Eagles, Seahawks or horror of all horrors a Colt fan. :rake:

Grad school. I am going to level with all of you guys- I have not watched even a second of the Combine. Not online, not on TV, nothing. I still read the board, but I am pretty well uninformed on this draft.

I'll still probably complain come April though, 'cause that's how I roll.

Ziggy Ansah, 6'5" 271 4.62 40 yard dash, 1.56 10 yard split.
Smiley-Faint.gif

Dion Jordan 6'6" 248 lbs. 4.53/1.57

Margus Hunt 6'8" 277 lbs. 4.60/1.62

These DLs are faster than some of the WRs.

Last edited:
Grad school. I am going to level with all of you guys- I have not watched even a second of the Combine. Not online, not on TV, nothing. I still read the board, but I am pretty well uninformed on this draft.

I'll still probably complain come April though, 'cause that's how I roll.

regardless you uniformed opinion still carry's weight with me, but here is my question for you- what is easier for you to address this draft, defense or the offense? and why?

The bad news is nothing better to replace Schaub with. The good news is we can get him another weapon (or two?) and decrease our age & average play & cap (Walter). Almost like the NBA where I hope to get to playoffs "where anything can happen". I am looking at a very heavy defense oriented draft for Texans.

I am trying to decide if Sylvester Williams will be available at our third. ILB, WR, DT, OLB?

Damontre Moore is blowwwwwwwing this combine.

Also, since the Texans finished with a relatively low draft spot (or high, I guess, depending on how you view it) not too many people are expecting a big difference maker in the first round of the draft. There's also no superior QB's (like Luck or RG3) to argue about who is better, so there's really not too many reasons to watch.

I think a lot of people were watching the Wideouts yesterday and will probably be watching the LB's today because probably one of those two positions will be our first round pick.

I think this is one of the deeper drafts in years and that there are ~equally graded difference makers from 5 to 25. As a QB class it is weak, but there's a lot of talent this year.

I prefer drafting into depth, and with the number of picks we have a good draft can upgrade us at many positions.

I'd like to see us get better up the middle on D -- S, ILB, NT and add a top WR prospect and deepen our OL.

Underwear Olympics alone, there's some speed out there.

Back