Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nfl.com: Texas Pro Day results

MojoX

Waterboy
Benson was 5-10 3/8 and 225 pounds. He had a long jump of 9-foot-8 and a 33-inch vertical jump. He lifted the strength bar 18 times. In the 40, he was timed as low as 4.51 and as high as 4.59. That's impressive; not even Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, ran that fast when he was coming out of school.

Johnson was 6-3¼ and 243 pounds. He passed on lifting at the combine, but here lifted the strength bar 21 times.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8320128
Hopefully this will crowd the top ten with RBs and push talent we want closer to 13.

I've seen him compared to Emmitt Smith in places on the net. At first I didn't see it but I see why after watching him more. Personally, I think he has a style like Stephen Davis (but in an obviously smaller body), and moves like Edge James (but not as fast as him). I'd love to see him fall to 13.

I actually think I'd be excited to have him on the team, too. I've just been hoping that somehow DJ or Merriman fall to the Texans.

So does this change how any of you guys rank the RBs?

Not me, I have him pretty high myself. Not everyone is sold on him though. 610am had a teaser a moment ago and said the news was "bad" for him off of this workout. They are about to have Lance's report in a moment.

I bet on most boards he is now the # 2 and on some boards he jumped to #1, The argument comes back that if Ronnie Brown wasnt the sure fire #1 RB on his TEAM, how can he be the sure fire #1 in the draft class.....I rank them like this

1. Ronnie Brown/Cedric Benson
2. Cadillac Williams

Vinny said:
610am had a teaser a moment ago and said the news was "bad" for him off of this workout. They are about to have Lance's report in a moment.
Post the news, will ya'. I'm not in Houston.

[Disclaimer--Not saying anything specifically about Benson as a RB or his draft prospects.]

This looks a little like prospect hype just in the drafting of the report--4.51-4.59 at a pro-day not the combine is now reason for rejoicing. DD got slammed for a 4.62 at the combine. Didn't Casserly just say he adds .1 to pro-day results? This has nothing to do with DD or Benson, just the observation that the exact same measureables will get described differently for top prospects and lower prospects/players. On the same draft sites you will see a 210 lb top RB prospect described as having good size and then a latter round prospect who is 220 lbs as undersized. Just seems like they change their terminology to match their rankings rather than just saying they measure the same but player A is just better at the unmeasurables like vision, etc.

Lance is saying that he ran mid 4.6's but his information was from emails and text messages. It will be interesting to see who's time is accurate.

1. Ronnie Brown, Auburn 6002 233 4.44 18
2. Cadillac Williams Auburn 5107 217 4.45 19
3. Cedric Benson, Texas 5104 225 4.65 18

not sure who's time to believe but mid 4.6's seems accurate for Benson :confused:

Benson running 4.6's shouldn't surprise anyone. His only real knock is his straight line speed. Interesting to note that Chris Palmer was there in person.

Yeah, here is the entire quote from Gil...

TEXAS: MARCH 23
In total, 75 scouts and coaches from 27 teams were in attendance, including Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and Cardinals offensive boss Keith Rowen. Head coaches Dennis Green and Nick Saban were not there because of the NFL's annual meeting in Hawaii, but I know for a fact they wanted to be front and center.

The players ran indoors on what can only be described as "soft FieldTurf," which makes for a slow track compared to what they ran on in Indy.
Player Position

Gil's comments

Cedric Benson RB Benson was 5-10 3/8 and 225 pounds. He had a long jump of 9-foot-8 and a 33-inch vertical jump. He lifted the strength bar 18 times. In the 40, he was timed as low as 4.51 and as high as 4.59. That's impressive; not even Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, ran that fast when he was coming out of school.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8320128

Ths doesn't change anything...Benson is still the 3rd ranked RB IMO...That said, I think he is the #1 RB for our scheme...I would love to see him fall to 13...

The weight lifting was done in the weight room (duh). They did the running drills under the bubble. "Apparently" it registers as a slower track than the indoor track in the weight room.

But the mid-4.5s is about right for Benson.

I am a bit confused. I thought Benson only ran at his proday, but Gill is reporting 4.5s and others are reporting 4.6s. Which is it? 4.5s for a back his size isn't too bad, but 4.6s are slow and will affect his draft point IMO.

I was listening to 610 today and they were saying that Brandt pumps up certain players and makes their workout numbers better than they really were...Supposedly only one scout at the workout clocked Benson under 4.6...

beerlover said:
if Benson becomes a Texan I hope they consider bringing in his FB Will Matthews :thumbup
As much as I like Will, he doesn't want to be an NFL player...he even refused to talk to the scouts at the LVAAC all star game in february

Fiddy said:
a tenth of a second makes a back go from not too bad to too slow???

Just as a point of order--evidently so. DD ran a 4.62 at the combine which was considered disappointing and resulted in the Texans taking him in the 4th. Other talents aside, we have all seen the complaints about not having the speed to take it to the house--yes people will complain about speed regardless of the effectiveness of the RB and yes it can affect their draft position.

It seems many of you are a bit too excited about Ced Benson-if he's there at #13 and the Texans select him we won't have any new impact players n the defensive side of the ball. Would you rather have Benson over Merriman? Shaun Cody? Marcus Spears? Are we just goind to sit Domanick Davis on the pine?
BPA is one thing, but an average size, average speed back is not likely to help us that much. Sorry Longhorn fans.

GoBlue said:
It seems many of you are a bit too excited about Ced Benson-if he's there at #13 and the Texans select him we won't have any new impact players n the defensive side of the ball. Would you rather have Benson over Merriman? Shaun Cody? Marcus Spears? Are we just goind to sit Domanick Davis on the pine?
BPA is one thing, but an average size, average speed back is not likely to help us that much. Sorry Longhorn fans.

IMO Merriman > Benson > Spears > Cody...

Merriman won't be there at 13 (you can paste this is the "won't be there at 13 thread), I'm not too high on Cody, I would like Spears, but I don't think the organization is going in that direction in the 1st after re-signing all of our D-Line FAs (even though that may just be a back-up plan for in case we don't get someone in the draft)...I don't think Benson would come in and automatically force us to sit Davis...We would likely use a different back in each situation, much like the Falcons do with Dunn and Duckett...

D-ReK said:
IMO Merriman > Benson > Spears > Cody...

Merriman won't be there at 13 (you can paste this is the "won't be there at 13 thread), I'm not too high on Cody, I would like Spears, but I don't think the organization is going in that direction in the 1st after re-signing all of our D-Line FAs (even though that may just be a back-up plan for in case we don't get someone in the draft)...I don't think Benson would come in and automatically force us to sit Davis...We would likely use a different back in each situation, much like the Falcons do with Dunn and Duckett...

good post D-Rek, I agree with your points. I think they would compliment each other one with break away power the other darting & evasive. this would also seem to align the skilled players per salary within the different positions. meaning @ RB the Texans are spending less than 500,000 for Dominack, Hollings over 600,000 & Wells 500,000 thats a paltry 1.6 mil. compare that to the WR's with AJ 1.8 mil alone, with Armstrong 400,000, Gaffney almost 800,000 & Starling 300,000. it would be interesting with all the new players added to see how the positions break down and where the Texans are investing most of thier salary cap. I think this is where you hit the nail on the head as far as the D-Line is concerned as well :twocents:

I could care less if he ran a 4.7. Anquan Boldin anyone?

40 times are overrated, but they do gauge some things. Power backs.... their forties are not as important. Speed backs- obviously 40 time is important. Same comparison goes with possession recievers and speed recievers.

I hope Benson drops alot in the draft, so the other teams can look like *****s when cadillac is a bust. Thats just my opinion. But obviously one of three backs will probably end up a bust, and my money is on cadillac. However, if Ronnie was so great, why was he always second fiddle.

Remember, their are always workout wonders.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:hmmm: If I'm not mistaken UTs proday is done on grass .

The highlights of his proday were on turf similar to that of reliant. Which they say is a slower turf for 40 times.

Correct if I am wrong, but the forty times for a RB are important.

If they are faster and can break tackles well, then the LB's and SS can't play off the ball as far which helps the WR's get open in man coverage. It is also more difficult to play cover-2 if a RB is getting 5-6 ypc vs 2.5-4 ypc.

If the RB is slower even just a bit and is not able to break tackles as well, then the LB's can play off the ball (they can recover and use different angles on a back who does not break tackles well) and the SS can play more zone coverage thus making it more difficult to throw down field and adding pressure to the OL because it takes longer for wr's to be open.

why not in pads?

speedy 208lb RB who ran 4.49 vs stronger 220lb Rb who ran 4.6

Do you think the stronger one could make up that difference when both are in pads?

Cedrick Benson is tied with Ronnie Brown for the tops and I think it depends on what a team wants. Ronnie Brown has upside and does not have alot of wear and tear on him were as Cedrick Benson is a proven stud, but his college career has taken at least 2 years off of his NFL career.

I personally like Brown cause I like to throw to my RBs, but I would not turn down Cedrick. My analogy is comaparing these two guys is like comparing a Cabrera and a Lamborghini. They both can take you were you need to go fast it is purely schematics that make them that much different. Ohh yeah and they both are gonna cost you an arm and leg.

texansfan88 said:
As much as I like Will, he doesn't want to be an NFL player...he even refused to talk to the scouts at the LVAAC all star game in february

Which would explain why he bothered to take the time to go to Indy for the combine as well as working out in Austin. :confused:

Since we may draft a tight end in this year's draft we should take a look at guys like Bo Scaife, Bajema (OSU), then there's the guy from Nebraska I forget his name always. Chances are we won't pick up a tightend in the first day but these guys over the years have played solidly for their respective teams. We don't have to draft a tightend with a high pick to be successful but I think we can find good players at that position later in the draft.

Back