NFL.com poll: Texans are the best team in Texas

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Stemp, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

Lots of butt-hurt Cowboy fans commenting on it too, lol. Wish we could play them every year though.

3. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I saw when they asked that question the other night, but didn't get to see the results. I'm actually surprised that we won the vote. I know we are the better team, but the Cowboys have a much larger following and they are somehow still managing to ride the coat tails of their former success.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The Cowboys do have a much larger following...when the team is winning. Otherwise, their massive bandwagon fanbase does not bother to watch and certainly would not even know about this poll as a result.

5. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    But the times; they are a changin'. 'Bout time too.

6. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Most of their bandwagon fans outside of TX are now Green Bay fans.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

They must finally be getting good information reading this MB.:)

[​IMG]

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

OOPS!.........But never hurts when it's such great news.

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Is there a link to the actual poll on NFL.com?

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I've lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth are for over 10 years. Those people up there could care less about being compared to the team "down south". They look at the Texans about the same way as they look at the city of Houston in general, face down.

As far as expectations go, the higher they are, the harder the fall.

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. Did Cowboy fans ever hate Houston when the Oilers were around? I wasn't here, so I don't know, but I never got the feeling there was a rivalry between the two.

Anyways, I do think some people take this perceived rivalry too far. I went to the Texans/Browns game last year with some friends and on the way into the stadium we saw a guy wearing a Texans jersey that had the name "DUCK FALLAS" on the back instead of a player. He was holding the hand of his little 8 year old girl too. I really wish I had taken a picture of it, but I just couldn't believe someone would actually make a jersey that said that. What a waste, but we sure did laugh about it.

12. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

I posted a pic of this on my FB before the results were released on NFL Network. I had a couple of Cowboy fans comment, but when I would rebute, they wouldn't comment. It's nice that we finally are getting recognition over the team up north.

13. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Compared to the last couple of years, the Texans are the best team in Texas, simply the truth. I don't understand the concept that many refer to Cowboys now having bandwagon fans. Usually bandwagon fans follow winners, and the Cowboys have had too many seasons to weed those out. Once we become an excellent team again, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers grow from where they are now. Personally, any success or super bowl would be a great experience for me because I have remained constant through the years.

I was talking to a fellow fan yesterday about a comment that I read once about Texans fan that wished the Cowboys would move to Oklahoma. Of course, with the new stadium being in Texas that won't happen, but if we still had Texas Stadium and some of the issues that other teams have experienced, would it truly matter to the fan base the geographical location. If the fan base was typically north Texas vs. south Texas, I think the competition for fans would be greater, especially if we were in the same conference.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I grew up in Richardson, a Dallas suburb, and the answer is Dallas fans either ignored the Oilers or rooted for them as a second team.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Note to Jerruh from Dr. Phil....
    [​IMG]

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The non-existent "rivalry" is in the minds of Houston football fans.

During the Luv Ya Blue days, the Oilers always came up short, while the Cowboys went to multiple Super Bowls and won a couple of them. Naturally, lots of folks jumped on that bandwagon, even many Houstonians. This caused resentment (and maybe some envy) in many Houston loyalists, so the seeds of hatred were planted.

In addition, NFL Films ran with the "America's Team" label (which was the result of a sports writer casually commenting on tv ratings), which was then embraced by the Cowboys front office. This fertilized the little seed of hate in many fans across the country, and when coupled to Houston fans "little brother" complex, grew a tree that is now multi-generational in it's hatred for the Cowboys. I should know, having lived it and being raised on one of those branches.

Now I'm ambivalent about the Cowboys, but I still never root for them...well, with one exception, of course - when the play the Titans! And that's the thing, I developed a real disgust at Bud Adams and his franchise for obvious reasons, and that just eclipsed any brainwashed hatred that I had for Dallas.

It's really just fun entertainment, though. I don't take any of this stuff seriously.

17. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

Agree wholeheartedly with those who don't think there is any rivalry from the Cowboy fans point of view. I lived in Dallas for 13 years before moving away a couple of years ago, and the general consensus of the Cowboy fans towards the Texans is indifference. When they find out you're a Texans fan, they will likely wish you good luck because the Texans are another team from Texas. I also think it's important to differentiate Cowboy fans from Dallas from the bandwagon idiots from around the country, including Houston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Like DB said, this whole Oilers/Texans-Cowboys thing doesn't really qualify as a rivalry.

A lot of hardcore Oiler/Texan fans HATE the Cowboys but for it to be a rivalry, the Cowboy fans would have to hate us back. Very few Cowboy fans hate the Oilers/Texans and whatever bad feeling some of them have toward us, it pales in comparison to how they feel about the Redskins, Giants, and Eagles. We don't register to them. We're not that important. And many of them consider us a second team to root for.

I know when I walk around in my Texans gear here in Dallas, I haven't ever met with any animosity.

OTOH, Cowboy fans IN Houston sometimes have a different attitude but that could come from being surrounded by people who hate the Cowboys.

And there's always the Troll factor. Some Cowboy fans don't really hate the Texans/Oilers but they know that we hate them. Cowboy fans are used to being hated by the fans of other teams. And so they'll poke fun at fans of other teams just to get them riled up.

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I never have understood the "rivalry" between the Cowboys and Oilers or Texans with just being in the same state.

It is one thing to be in the same division and playing each other (aka Raiders/Chargers) ,but hell we aren't in same division or hell even in the same conference.

reminds me of the Astros/Rangers thing, well until after this season.

but if they jab at the Texans, I will throw out the fact that since the Texans have come into existence, They have the same amount of playoff wins as the Cowboys ..:kitten:

20. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

For me it's just because I've never liked the Cowboys and have always disliked them. Not because they are Dallas, but that doesn't help, I'm HOUSTON all the way and generally despise other professional Texas teams no matter the sport, but because they are the Cowboys. I rooted for Baltimore in SB V because they were the only team not named 'Cowboys'.

I've hated their way. They were flashy, Hollywood (no pun on Thomas), arrogant, and in Texas. True, I was always green with envy at their success, but by the time they had their success I'd been a hater for quite some time. I just don't like them for who and what they are, even if they were poster boys for a failed franchise I would hate them.

The Rangers are the same. They did some pretty low ball things in the past dating all the way back to when the Houston Colt .45's were born. Long and detailed story so I won't bother with details.

A buddy of mine from high school, a lifelong Houstonian, is a Cowboy fan and caught wind of this poll. Now his FB page is a rage of hate towards the Texans. I mean picture after picture of Cowboy love and Texans hate. (I thought Cowboy fans were above that).